slurring speech

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hey all,
just curious... did any other late deaffies 'slur' their speech before getting the 'deaf accent'? a few of my friends have recently said that i sound almost like im starting to slur my speech. kinda like lazy-speech. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm i on my way to getting a 'deaf accent'? or am i just being lazy and not forming words well?
Thanks,
*EQL*

Just asked my sons about this....they said first thing in the AM when I wake up (go get them off for school), that I do "slur" my words at times....But actually, most all people "slur" their words whenever they wake up....As the day goes on, my speech isn't slurred at all....I do tend to at times, when I'm angry and upset, my words will "overlap", since I can't get the words out "fast enuf".....

Hey all,
just curious... did any other late deaffies 'slur' their speech before getting the 'deaf accent'? a few of my friends have recently said that i sound almost like im starting to slur my speech. kinda like lazy-speech. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm i on my way to getting a 'deaf accent'? or am i just being lazy and not forming words well?
Thanks,
*EQL*
Some good questions are what's your hearing loss? And how long have you had it? Are you currently wearing any hearing aids, etc? Cause if it's profound and you're not getting enough auditory input, it could happen over the course of time.

My family do tell me that I am beginning to slur my speech. I have to consciously make an effort to speak clearly. My biggest issue is remembering how to pronounce some words. They will just escape my brain for some reason. Then a few days later, whamo! There it is again.

Maybe you should see your doctor. I have a lot more problems being understood after becoming ill and having facial nerve damage.

I'm sure when everybody drinks we'll all be in good company. Damn the slurring of words!

My family do tell me that I am beginning to slur my speech. I have to consciously make an effort to speak clearly. My biggest issue is remembering how to pronounce some words. They will just escape my brain for some reason. Then a few days later, whamo! There it is again.

hmm.. interesting.
Thanks
*EQL*

My ex is moderatley HOH and has near perfect speech (many people don't realize she is deaf) but after she spends a long time with other deaf people and doesn't speak much vocally I can tell the difference in her speech and it takes her a while to get adjusted to speaking again.

Back