Skyscrapers in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jclarke
Yeah, I have noticed that a lot lately, it has effected in my hometown of Canberra, Australia - They have broken the building Code and they are starting to build taller buildings, but Sydney is already getting some, we don't! And we like to remain like the building code stated... gee, what is wrong with the government, are they letting them, get taller and taller? What about the air pressure?

Haha! Skyscrapers are solution to handle world population exploding and help save the environment. Here in Seattle... We have over 60 skyscrapers under construction right now.

Yeah, I saw some pics onto seattle, that is some big city also Sydney is building more and is there an competition to see who is the tallest, already?

Did I hear you saying skyscrapers? Yay! I'd love to talk about them all day with you. You can ask metroguy03 cuz he knows that I drive him nuts with all the non-stop babbling about the city development, infrastructure, etc. :giggle:

Yupp that's correct, that is why skyscraper is very important. They help the enviroments and keep the people avoid from taking whole of the lands. Can you imagine like New York without any skyscrapers with about 8 million people there? That will not go much good.

Did I hear you saying skyscrapers? Yay! I'd love to talk about them all day with you. You can ask metroguy03 cuz he knows that I drive him nuts with all the non-stop babbling about the city development, infrastructure, etc. :giggle:

Haha, sequoias! You should thank the ambassor of Australia, myself ! I just thought we could discuss about skyscrapers and why do they build them? Does a city have its building code to restrict how tall they are??

If it's spelling error on thread title, even too late to edit it then you can ask mod like RR to edit your title into correct spelling.

At 2nd, I'm REALLY love to discuss about skyscrapers, yike!

If it's spelling error on thread title, even too late to edit it then you can ask mod like RR to edit your title into correct spelling.

At 2nd, I'm REALLY love to discuss about skyscrapers, yike!

Hey Pacman! Thanks for alerting me about the spelling error. Gee, didn't notice that but thanks, mate! I shall ask one of the moderators to kindly edit it for me, perhaps tomorrow.

Also, I am glad that I brought up this thread :lol: so lets the conversation begin!

Haha, sequoias! You should thank the ambassor of Australia, myself ! I just thought we could discuss about skyscrapers and why do they build them? Does a city have its building code to restrict how tall they are??

Hey there! Many cities have height limit given to a skyscraper due to flight path (planes that fly over downtown area). They have to follow the limit, can build a bit taller if FAA (flight of Avalton (sp) association) or whatever in the other country approve it For example, Seattle has a height limit of 700 feet tall in some area of downtown. There's also unlimited height zone in a small area, the only problem is FAA will restrict to around 1000 feet tall due to the flight path of the planes that go to the airport about 15 miles south of downtown. Height limits can be also due to demand and supply, too. Hope that answers your question. :)

I did try to bring up a skyscraper thread long time ago on this forum but it kind of died down due to lack of interest and no one could really chat about them. That's the reason why I had to register on skyscrapercity.com and skyscraperpage.com forums on that subject.

Hey there! Many cities have height limit given to a skyscraper due to flight path (planes that fly over downtown area). They have to follow the limit, can build a bit taller if FAA (flight of Avalton (sp) association) or whatever in the other country approve it For example, Seattle has a height limit of 700 feet tall in some area of downtown. There's also unlimited height zone in a small area, the only problem is FAA will restrict to around 1000 feet tall due to the flight path of the planes that go to the airport about 15 miles south of downtown. Height limits can be also due to demand and supply, too. Hope that answers your question. :)

That must be another reason for these skyscrapers, but you know what about New York? They have too many of these! There is a lot of reasons they build a lot of skyscrapers, alike puyo said that there are a big number of the state's/city's population?

I did try to bring up a skyscraper thread long time ago on this forum but it kind of died down due to lack of interest and no one could really chat about them. That's the reason why I had to register on skyscrapercity.com and skyscraperpage.com forums on that subject.

Don't worry about the other forums, right here on alldeaf.com - I am sure this time there will be more than just one person to discuss about, like MetroGuy03 himself and I, so if you wish to keep this thread alive, keep the conversation alive too! ;)

That must be another reason for these skyscrapers, but you know what about New York? They have too many of these! There is a lot of reasons they build a lot of skyscrapers, alike puyo said that there are a big number of the state's/city's population?

Yep because NYC is one of the biggest hub for immigrants so the city grew very big and there was no room to build so they decided to build lots of skyscrapers. Skyscrapers makes things more dense and try to combat sprawl that can eat up forests, destroy animals homes, long commutes to work, etc.

There's about 8.2 million residents living in NYC city limits with metro area of 18 million people. it's the first city in the US to hit 1 million residents back then.

Have you noticed Dubai, UA has a very tall tower called Burj Dubai? It is really nuts! It is at around 146th floor right now and we don't know the exact height it will be. They remained it as a secret until they top out. It should complete in 2008 and vacanate it by 2009.

Burj Dubai under construction
Photo credit by Imre Solt:
imresolt02rb1.jpg

Rendering of this tower:
burjdubai.JPG

Yep because NYC is one of the biggest hub for immigrants so the city grew very big and there was no room to build so they decided to build lots of skyscrapers. Skyscrapers makes things more dense and try to combat sprawl that can eat up forests, destroy animals homes, long commutes to work, etc.

There's about 8.2 million residents living in NYC city limits with metro area of 18 million people. it's the first city in the US to hit 1 million residents back then.

When did it hit 1 million back then? In the 1930's? ;)

And it appears to be true, they are eating these nature forest, I see. It occurs to Sydney, Australia - they have too many skyscrapers, imagine there was a lot of residence towers and it would be too damn expensive to live in the vibrant city w/ skyscrapers!

Have you noticed Dubai, UA has a very tall tower called Burj Dubai? It is really nuts! It is at around 146th floor right now and we don't know the exact height it will be. They remained it as a secret until they top out. It should complete in 2008 and vacanate it by 2009.

Burj Dubai under construction
Photo credit by Imre Solt:
imresolt02rb1.jpg

Rendering of this tower:
burjdubai.JPG

Gee, are these people trying to beat the world's tallest towers, these days? How come they can afford to build that TALL?

When did it hit 1 million back then? In the 1930's? ;)

And it appears to be true, they are eating these nature forest, I see. It occurs to Sydney, Australia - they have too many skyscrapers, imagine there was a lot of residence towers and it would be too damn expensive to live in the vibrant city w/ skyscrapers!

Yeah about early 1900's, I believe. I will have to check that out. Yeah, it is really expensive to live in the core of the city but it's nice to just walk to work or ride the train to work other than just getting stuck in traffic on way to work, lol.

Gee, are these people trying to beat the world's tallest towers, these days? How come they can afford to build that TALL?

Haha, they can afford it from stock market and revenues from other skyscraper markets and so on. ;)

The world is going crazy to build tall, shiny gleaming skyscrapers. :eek3:

Okay, I found the stats for NYC's population history.
It looks like it hit 1 million in roughly 1880's.

picture1nf9.png

Yeah about early 1900's, I believe. I will have to check that out. Yeah, it is really expensive to live in the core of the city but it's nice to just walk to work or ride the train to work other than just getting stuck in traffic on way to work, lol.

Very true, it is a lovely city, I would imagine.... and i can not stand these heavy traffic 24/7... how can the taxi cope with these every day?

Haha, they can afford it from stock market and revenues from other skyscraper markets and so on. ;)

The world is going crazy to build tall, shiny gleaming skyscrapers. :eek3:

Stockmarkets? I can not believe that... I think Australia should take over it and try and beat what dubai can offer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back