Skype ASL practice with other baby boomers

podiecat

Reaction score
Hi, I'm older and HOH, and have been trying to learn ASL longer than my signing shows. Certainly I lack confidence but I'm trying to join in, make connections and improve my signing.

Rather than feel even more out of my league with the hip,young signers in the google+ group, I would like to practice and make new friends with people who are over 50 like me. Just because I have studied and practiced every day for several years, does not mean I can access that info in my brain when I want. We all remember those signs that personally pertain to our lives some way easier than others... and I at a slower speed with many very foggy "Duh" moments.

So.... If other Boomers would like to try skype with No Voice, please pm me and we can work out a time.

I am very new to skype and did have a fun time, no voice, with Birdlady yesterday. Can anyone give pointers to help with having a clearer video picture and be able to see each other sign more easily?

Get fast internet connection, like fibers connection, and have bright light bulb set ready (not too bright) near you so that others would see you clearer.

I know those are probably the obvious ones to point out, but maybe you should consider get a good quality webcam if you aren't satisfied with your on-monitor camera or webcam.

I recommend logitech webcams, they're supposed to be top-notch.

I recommend logitech webcams, they're supposed to be top-notch.

We use Logitech Quickcam Orbits (720p) for our ASL coursework. They nag you every time you start them up to register the software, even if you already have. Sometimes if you watch some of what you've already recorded and then go back to try and record some more, the camera won't switch back on. When you only have an hour in the computer lab to do your assignments you don't have time to fight with unreliable equipment and bad software.

We're not fans of them.

Thanks for the replies.

My Macbook Pro does a good job on my end but I have trouble seeing the other person and their signing clearly. It was lots of fun though! Positioning the laptop is such a way to not have the signing area chopped off will take some practice for sure. And.... getting the lighting to help rather than burn me out on the screen is also a bit challenging at night.

Thanks for the replies.

My Macbook Pro does a good job on my end but I have trouble seeing the other person and their signing clearly. It was lots of fun though! Positioning the laptop is such a way to not have the signing area chopped off will take some practice for sure. And.... getting the lighting to help rather than burn me out on the screen is also a bit challenging at night.

Oh, it's the other people you're having trouble seeing? Sometimes if you reduce the video quality a tiny bit the framerate can improve and you get a better balance of sharpness and fluid movement.

Chopping your signing area off is always fun... for one of my storytelling assignments I had to stack two suitcases on top of my bed and put my laptop on top to get it more or less level with me. I then put a coin on the floor as a mark (if you watch Wheel of Fortune notice that in the bonus round Pat Sajak always tells them to stand on a blue mark on the floor so they'll be in front of the camera) so I'd know where I was best positioned if I start moving around too much.

Any boomers up for practicing on skype today? Within the next hour or two?

Wirelessly posted

I am in the same boat you are. I am an old guy that has lost his hearing. I am currently in my first semester of ASL at a community college, I have been studying sign ok my own for about two years. I also know hundreds of signs that my brain just doesn't recall fluently yet. I have been using the "FaceTime" app on my IPhone. It's not the best but it works. If you have access to Face time you should give it a shot.

Hi Lordgrey,

I just found your reply. I don't have facetime but am going to go way outside my comfort zone and try the Google+ ASL chat tonight. Please join in... I feel like I'm decades older than everyone else who has signed up for it!

Hello I can help you. I would be offer to you, I can help you. I know confidental skills high ASL/. I can tutor people I effort to people I love ASL. I know more lots of overwhelming to people I understand. I am become tutor ASL I can help ASL. I can help community ASL. I can do support ASL I don't mind. I can do support! I do join

anytime doesn't work matter age! :)

Hi Smithtr, Thanks for your generous offer? I see you are from Canada. It seems that many Canadian signs are very different from New England sign. I learn and practice with the many Lifeprint practice tools and my tutor here in Vt is often correcting me on how to sign different words. What do you think?

Hi Smithtr, Thanks for your generous offer? I see you are from Canada. It seems that many Canadian signs are very different from New England sign. I learn and practice with the many Lifeprint practice tools and my tutor here in Vt is often correcting me on how to sign different words. What do you think?

your welcome I am Canada close Sask. It is good. I do lots of. I can help to people. I can do assistance whom question me! , I can experience lots of ASL. I do sign language skills..I can help to you I often sign language. How sign language. I do best!
I can help to word!!

Back