Skunk family

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hubby knows one of these families, and he's been to the house a few times.

Summerville-Dorchester News: Two Summerville couples find striped bandits lovable but demanding pets

He says that the skunks are cute but will bite. He says that the albino skunks look kind of weird with their pink eyes. Even though the skunks are descented, they still have a smell like between cat and ferret, and they aren't perfectly litter trained. They shred the doorway carpets, walls, and doors with their claws when they are shut in a bedroom.

More pictures:

Striped Bandits

WOW!!! They are too cute but I wouldn't want a skunk in my house! LOL! At least the couple are too sweet to take care of them. :)

in our old house that skunk used live underground. We never bother him.

Oh Wow! Im surely that they have been sprayed everywhere in the house! What a smell ! !:o

:afro:

M-

Oh Wow! Im surely that they have been sprayed everywhere in the house! What a smell ! !:o

:afro:

M-
The skunks have been de-skunked. That means, those skunks cannot spray that horrible smell.

It's like a cat being de-clawed so that they can't claw up things around the house.

Wow having skunks as pet? I've never heard of one and I don't know if it's legal to have one as pets.

Interesting story :)

The skunks have been de-skunked. That means, those skunks cannot spray that horrible smell....
Correct. However, they still have "potty" accidents, and exude that basic "critter" b.o., especially when you have lots of them together.

Awww cute story! Love the pics too and they are funny. Thanks for sharing it, Reba.

Correct. However, they still have "potty" accidents, and exude that basic "critter" b.o., especially when you have lots of them together.

Since I'm deaf and need binoculars to see farther than I can put a shot, my sense of smell must have used the abandoned nerves, as even the de-scented skunks smell bad to me. But they sure are cute, especially the kittens following along in line like a string of ducklings.

Skunks are a natural enemy of bees, but they don't tear up the hives as bears do. Skunks scratch at the entryway, and when guard bees and drones pile outside to fight and bluff, the skunks sweep up the bees with their brushy tails. It appears that the heavy scent stuns the bees, because they're easily combed from the tails with claws and eaten. At any rate, skunks don't seem to mind an occasional sting inside the mouth.

A healthy hive has about 75,000 bees, and a dining skunk will take half before waddling away full.

When I smell skunks in the vicinity, we trap them live, and fish and wildlife people haul them away. Better them than me.

Since I'm deaf and need binoculars to see farther than I can put a shot, my sense of smell must have used the abandoned nerves, as even the de-scented skunks smell bad to me. But they sure are cute, especially the kittens following along in line like a string of ducklings.

Skunks are a natural enemy of bees, but they don't tear up the hives as bears do. Skunks scratch at the entryway, and when guard bees and drones pile outside to fight and bluff, the skunks sweep up the bees with their brushy tails. It appears that the heavy scent stuns the bees, because they're easily combed from the tails with claws and eaten. At any rate, skunks don't seem to mind an occasional sting inside the mouth.

A healthy hive has about 75,000 bees, and a dining skunk will take half before waddling away full.

When I smell skunks in the vicinity, we trap them live, and fish and wildlife people haul them away. Better them than me.
Wow, that's very interesting about the skunks and bees. :ty:

Every animal leaves an odor. It's just a matter of whether you properly clean up after them.

I've visited people's houses where they had too many animals (cats, dogs, etc) and they didn't keep their place consistently clean. So, their houses had that "outdoor critter" smell. ;)

A month ago, our class' Literacy theme was "Information Literacy" and we read about bees. During that week, I was surprised to learn that one of the listed enemies for bees was the skunk.

They are so cute but they are also active.

In the article it states -

In addition to their 35 skunks, the Berrys have five cats, two dogs, a cockatiel, seven ferrets, four Texas prairie dogs, a fleet of flying squirrels and some regular Lowcountry baby squirrels. The skunks, dogs and cats get along just fine, the couple said.

Wow, That is a LOT of skunks and not only that, with the additions of other pets to take care of. They must have a lot of love taking care of these animals. I can't imagine myself taking care of that many animals. 1 or 2 pets would just be fine for me.

Wow, that is very interesting story. That is a lot of skunks and other animals living in the house.

wow thread!!! They are cute.

I know a little about critter. I would like to know more about critters since you know those couple because we are thinking about adopt ferries... My friends told me that ferries do use their business in litter box like cats did... it would be smelly if you give cats and ferries milk... skunk?

Do they use litter for their business like cats did?

If yes, due my experience with 6 cats and then reduce to 4 cats. They do have potty accidents, too. It´s hard for me to train them so I check with the Vet about this. She asked me how many litter box we have. I told her that we have one large and one small litter boxes. She explained that some pets (I mean ANY pets, not just cats) don´t like to share their businesses with other pets in same box and advised me to buy 2 extra large size to add with one large size litter box into 3 litter boxes. We took her advice and bought 2 extra. Guess what, it´s WORK pretty good!!! We have 3 litter boxes for 3 cats. They feel comfortable and happy to use their own litter box. I noticed which boxes, they use to for their business.

wow thread!!! They are cute.

I know a little about critter. I would like to know more about critters since you know those couple because we are thinking about adopt ferries... My friends told me that ferries do use their business in litter box like cats did... it would be smelly if you give cats and ferries milk... skunk?

Do they use litter for their business like cats did?

If yes, due my experience with 6 cats and then reduce to 4 cats. They do have potty accidents, too. It´s hard for me to train them so I check with the Vet about this. She asked me how many litter box we have. I told her that we have one large and one small litter boxes. She explained that some pets (I mean ANY pets, not just cats) don´t like to share their businesses with other pets in same box and advised me to buy 2 extra large size to add with one large size litter box into 3 litter boxes. We took her advice and bought 2 extra. Guess what, it´s WORK pretty good!!! We have 3 litter boxes for 3 cats. They feel comfortable and happy to use their own litter box. I noticed which boxes, they use to for their business.

Hey liebling, Thanks for the advise of the cat litter. :D I will use that .

Wow.. pretty brave owners. :eek3:

I dont mind to watch how they are doing but it's not for me. :D

Back