Size Font Closed Caption for HDTV

rhr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I look Best Buy, CircuitCity, I look all HDTV have Closed Caption but only three small, middle and larage but they are too small than my old standard TV, i like old TV's Closed Caption is big font

Any you know where have big font closed caption please?

Well, I had same problem but cannot found best one, just call ADA then they can control TV companies about weak CC.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to say that I wish I could make the font for subtitles on my DVDs a lot bigger. They are too small!

My Sony lappy much better caption than my tv, it's 15" of my lappy screen and TV's just 25" are excatly same caption font size. I like Sony lappy that already built-in CC, but my linux uses Totem-Xgine player to watch a DVD movie that can do change a font of stubtitles and captions.

LuciaDisturbed said:
I know this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to say that I wish I could make the font for subtitles on my DVDs a lot bigger. They are too small!

This is why real closed captions are better than subtitles. I can't understand why the DVD makers go through the trouble of making an english subtitle track that mimics closed captions but don't include captions on the DVD. Subtitles can only be viewed the way they're made and it can never be changed. Subtitles aren't really text, they're pictures of text (if that makes sense).
Closed captions are streams of text (including color and face (ie italic underline etc)) The way the text is displayed depends on the decoder. This gives more choice to the user and the TV manufacturer.
It's not common yet but if a TV maker so chooses they could give the viewer all kinds of controll over how the captions are displayed.

farmerjoe said:
This is why real closed captions are better than subtitles. I can't understand why the DVD makers go through the trouble of making an english subtitle track that mimics closed captions but don't include captions on the DVD. Subtitles can only be viewed the way they're made and it can never be changed. Subtitles aren't really text, they're pictures of text (if that makes sense).
Closed captions are streams of text (including color and face (ie italic underline etc)) The way the text is displayed depends on the decoder. This gives more choice to the user and the TV manufacturer.
It's not common yet but if a TV maker so chooses they could give the viewer all kinds of controll over how the captions are displayed.

I know what you mean.

farmerjoe said:

but it's better than open captions.

I think everyone should be able to choose the size of CC. Like have a font choose as they would when typing on a computer. That would be awsome! I am hearing, but i am so used to having them on an reading them because of my girlfriend i will use them forever even whe she is not here with me.

I truly think that closed captioned should have yellow font not white font. It s so much easier to see and read it with that color yellow. Also, it need to have the adjustment of font sizes that we would like to have, too.

I am grateful to have Closed Captions in my life. During at that time, I did not have it when I was a kid. So therefore I cannot complained about it. ;)

:ty:
Sweetmind

but my Standard TV is 27", Closed Caption is 1 Inch than 30" to up HDTV CC is small!!! I did turn "Large" not 1 inch!!! mad!

I wish
- Small
- Normal
- Large
- Extra Large 1 (ADD) about 1 inch
- Extra Large 2 (ADD) about 1 1/2 inch maybe for Low-Vision
- Extra Large 3 (ADD) about 2 Inch for Low-Vision

Subtitle don't have size !!!!

The great thing about closed captions is that they're encoded as text. Unfortunately, most decoders (hardware or software) don't have this functionality, but it is (from a technical standpoint) perfectly simple to change the size, font, color, and so on. All we need is more fully-featured decoders.

you are right, I did send to Closed Caption's company, few time, but they never answer me!

ismi said:
The great thing about closed captions is that they're encoded as text. Unfortunately, most decoders (hardware or software) don't have this functionality, but it is (from a technical standpoint) perfectly simple to change the size, font, color, and so on. All we need is more fully-featured decoders.

I got GOOD EYES :ugh3: I can read mine perfectly fine....

For thoughs who can see and want them bigger just sit up closer and you will see CC better!! :angel:

Cassbugs said:
I got GOOD EYES :ugh3: I can read mine perfectly fine....

For thoughs who can see and want them bigger just sit up closer and you will see CC better!! :angel:

Yeah, but I don't want to sit on hard floor, I prefer to lay in bed when I watch movies...more comfortable!

LuciaDisturbed said:
Yeah, but I don't want to sit on hard floor, I prefer to lay in bed when I watch movies...more comfortable!
move the tv up closer??? :dunno: Have you asked vr about this... I don't know anything if I do I will let you know asap okay! :)

Cassbugs said:
move the tv up closer??? :dunno: Have you asked vr about this... I don't know anything if I do I will let you know asap okay! :)

I don't think VR would buy me a big tv..... :-o

If I asked my VR, she would :rofl: at me!

....and my 20" tv is too heavy to keep moving back and forth.

LuciaDisturbed said:

right same me I lay bed and watch it, I don't want front TV, too bad eyes and headache! need big cc is better for rest eye

LuciaDisturbed said:
One difference between DVD subtitles and CC is that CC is actual text, while subtitles are special graphics, so you can't change the size of DVD subtitles :(

Who do you contact or mail to a company that can change the font sizes?

I think that most companies buy the closed caption cards or chips, and they install them in the TV sets. I believe that they do not know where they contact them because they just order the parts and do their job period.

They do not know anything about deaf people. I think I contacted a Panansonic 6 years ago about the CC remote button.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger has Closed Caption support. I can change size and color text in my laptop to watch the movie. :)

Back