Single electrode or multiple electrode?

cammomile

Reaction score
This is just my own opinion, tell me if I'm wrong. I don't know which one to choose............

Single electrode benefit :
Non-traumatic for the cochlear
An easier surgery
Less all cost

Multiple electrode benefit :
More electrode means more sound performance?
Proved result
More reliable company

A single electrode device (by the way, I have no idea where you would get one, they are long gone in North America and Europe) has never been shown to provide open set word recognition. The multi electrode devices do.

There's this company called MST (Material Solution Technology), the device called IES (I Enjoy Sound). Many deaf people in India, Thailand, and Indonesia, has got benefit from it.

There's this company called MST (Material Solution Technology), the device called IES (I Enjoy Sound). Many deaf people in India, Thailand, and Indonesia, has got benefit from it.

Do they get open set word comprehension? (Meaning they can understand completely random words without context or clues) Multi-channel devices do.

They stated that there is electrodes on the short array but have not hear about the number. They say that the short and thin array will help to preserve residual hearing but since they are using the ear canal as the path to implant the device I wonder what is going to happen with the ear drum and the bones. Not enough information on the web site.

Do they get open set word comprehension? (Meaning they can understand completely random words without context or clues) Multi-channel devices do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8aUKyv6qtM]YouTube - Cochlear Implant (I enjoy sound) Thai girl's test[/ame]
I found this video in youtube, maybe this can explain your question? I also looking for information about this......

They stated that there is electrodes on the short array but have not hear about the number. They say that the short and thin array will help to preserve residual hearing but since they are using the ear canal as the path to implant the device I wonder what is going to happen with the ear drum and the bones. Not enough information on the web site.

The IES marketing told me, they just have 1 electrode...

This is quite noisy video and it is spoken in the native language of the user. It seems that they are using something like two syllable words not like one syllable words like coat, boat, goat for example. I do not know if the user is using any residual hearing during the test.
The early implants were one electrode array and I known of a few people that had it long time ago and the performance was not very high. It seems that the main goal for this make of implant is to be the cheapest of all the other manufactures.

This is quite noisy video and it is spoken in the native language of the user. It seems that they are using something like two syllable words not like one syllable words like coat, boat, goat for example. I do not know if the user is using any residual hearing during the test.
The early implants were one electrode array and I known of a few people that had it long time ago and the performance was not very high. It seems that the main goal for this make of implant is to be the cheapest of all the other manufactures.

I'm afraid what you're saying is right...... :(

Back