Silent Weekend

Emmer

Reaction score
I am learning sign, but want to immerse myself in the Deaf culture, which is limited where I am (rural Ohio). I found out about the Silent Weekend that is held in October in Hocking Hills. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be okay/I would be welcome with limited signing skills? I obviously would not use my voice but use other methods of getting my point across. I think it would also give me a goal/motivation for picking up ASL more quickly.

So...to the Deaf, would you be okay with a hearie with limited language skills attending a Silent Weekend, or is it more just for Deafies?

I'm hearing but I hope you don't mind my input, which is from experience.

Contact the organizers with any questions since each place may do it differently.

The Silent Weekends that I attended were for Deaf and hearing. It was a way to get immersed in the language and cultural experiences. (It's a Deaf, Deaf World.)

At the ones I attended, participants were evaluated by small panels of Deaf members for their ASL skill levels, and were assigned accordingly.

In some activities, everyone joined together. In others, such as workshops, we were divided by skill level.

Yes, you can use other methods such as gesture and note writing for communication, in addition to signing.

Wirelessly posted

I've been to the Silent Weekend you're talking about. It was a lot of fun and I made some good friends. Most of the attendees are actually hearing ASL students from the interpreter program at CSCC.

Don't worry at all about fitting in. It's a very inclusive and welcoming environment. Enjoy!

Back