Silent Dinner

ContessaC

Reaction score
Hola people :)

It's been a while since I signed on, life has been LOCO!!!
It was REALLY super nice to come back online and find a bunch of really awesome words of encouragement from a lot of people. Thanks :)

So...my ASL is coming along. I went to my first silent dinner, which a local deaf group here in Jacksonville. I was a little ...ok...A LOT ...terrified! I was SURE I was going to offend someone...make a complete ass of myself.

Long story short? I totally made an ass of myself, my ASL was slow and sluggish but I did introduce myself...like a dozen times, was able to follow more of the ASK conversations then I thought myself capable of! Yayyy!!!

When addressing a few people there was a lady there named Jeannine who was able to interrupt for me b/c I'm sure my sign was retched! LOL

At the end like a 1/2 dozen people came up to me and told me to keep with it and there was even some teasing...(apparently I sign like I'm drunk) But we made some play/sign dates for our kids!

I am THRILLED!!!!!

only way to learn is make ass of self, i do everyday..people world over will help you out aslong as make effort and you are.rock on

Congratz! =D If I see someone signing terrible, I say "hey, at least they're trying" =D I can usually get the general point as long as they're just not using random signs. All about context. =P So hey, at least you're trying! =D Hehe <3

Hola people :)

It's been a while since I signed on, life has been LOCO!!!
It was REALLY super nice to come back online and find a bunch of really awesome words of encouragement from a lot of people. Thanks :)

So...my ASL is coming along. I went to my first silent dinner, which a local deaf group here in Jacksonville. I was a little ...ok...A LOT ...terrified! I was SURE I was going to offend someone...make a complete ass of myself.

Long story short? I totally made an ass of myself, my ASL was slow and sluggish but I did introduce myself...like a dozen times, was able to follow more of the ASK conversations then I thought myself capable of! Yayyy!!!

When addressing a few people there was a lady there named Jeannine who was able to interrupt for me b/c I'm sure my sign was retched! LOL

At the end like a 1/2 dozen people came up to me and told me to keep with it and there was even some teasing...(apparently I sign like I'm drunk) But we made some play/sign dates for our kids!

I am THRILLED!!!!!

Same. Welcome back! :)

Glad to hear you had a great time. Keep it up with your signing and you'll be fluent in no time! :)

I've been to several Silent Dinner events myself. More than half of them usually end up with the ASL students talking instead. :roll:

Congratz! =D If I see someone signing terrible, I say "hey, at least they're trying" =D I can usually get the general point as long as they're just not using random signs. All about context. =P So hey, at least you're trying! =D Hehe <3

I'm still learning...don't think I'll ever stop learning. LOL while I'm still a bit slow with ASL, I am getting lots better...and it's only been, maybe, 2 years since I started. Sometimes get a bit lax because its easier for my hubby to use the IM on our computers. LOL He's still having some memory/learning issues due to a stroke and an aneurysm rupturing. (He's lucky to be alive!)
But, he's slowly getting it back. Rest of my family hasn't even tried to learn ASL, and that makes it more difficult too.

But, I keep on learning!

Back