Signs Used By Hearies

Calvero

Reaction score
I was listening to a song and noticed that the singers used their hands a lot in the song to illustrate meaning. It got me thinking. Do we hearies who use our hands a lot in conversation ever accidentally say anything embarrassing in sign language?

Naw, if anything, you more like bludgeon the language..........

I was thinking more along the lines of saying embarrassing words rather than complete grammatical sentences. I think you'd have to be pretty lucky to accidentally say a real sentence in a language you don't know.

gestures and signs are different.
a sign isnt just waving an arm around or point a finger. there is more to it then that.
if you hold hearie smake signs as we do then it should be easy to demonstrate their signs as linguistics devices.
just as we can do with asl signs
choose a "gsture" you hold to be a hearie sign
then start your analysis of it
can it be broken down into smaller parts?
which part of the "sign" you believe hearies use actually contains the meaning?
which laws govern their meaning and constuction?
look. dogs talk too right?
parrots speak perfect english too right?
just moving one slips doesn't mean actual language is taking place.
if you want to get a good grasp on what im talking about start with the linguistics of ASL by clayton valli or stokoes stupendous work.
but again mere waving hands or pointing are not signs.
meh

a sign isnt just waving an arm around or point a finger. there is more to it then that.
if you hold hearie smake signs as we do then it should be easy to demonstrate their signs as linguistics devices.
if you want to get a good grasp on what im talking about start with the linguistics of ASL by clayton valli or stokoes stupendous work.
meh

Breathe a bit newbie.

He's not asking if hearing people accidently use LANGUAGE (word/sign with meaning) ... he's asking if hearing people accidently create a handshape that happens to be a sign while they are gesturing.

A common example would be hearing people putting their hands together while talking and accidentally making a gesture that in ASL means "VAGINA". They aren't intending to sign anything, they aren't applying any meaning - heck half the time they aren't even intentionally gesturing - but none the less they (through chance) have formed a handshape that happens to be something in ASL.

Things like this happen all the time for multi-lingual people - we hear/see a word in one language that also means something (though something completely different) in another. We "catch it" because we happen to know the meanings in both (etc) - however that doesn't mean the person using the word intentionally chose the word for that purpose - its just an 'accident' of sound/sight.

P.S. In case your rant was directed at me:
A) I'm not hearing, I'm Deaf ... I'm fluent in ASL and English.

B) Linguistics is something I've studied quite a bit of - so I wasn't mis-speaking.

C) If you're going to make a point of criticizing people's understanding of word/sign & English/ASL language usage - take the time to use spell & grammar check on your posts first so you don't look like a hypocrite ;)

Gesturing Get a grip.
Being mistaken for a strangler and all hell breaks loose.

Breathe a bit newbie.

He's not asking if hearing people accidently use LANGUAGE (word/sign with meaning) ... he's asking if hearing people accidently create a handshape that happens to be a sign while they are gesturing.

A common example would be hearing people putting their hands together while talking and accidentally making a gesture that in ASL means "VAGINA". They aren't intending to sign anything, they aren't applying any meaning - heck half the time they aren't even intentionally gesturing - but none the less they (through chance) have formed a handshape that happens to be something in ASL.

Things like this happen all the time for multi-lingual people - we hear/see a word in one language that also means something (though something completely different) in another. We "catch it" because we happen to know the meanings in both (etc) - however that doesn't mean the person using the word intentionally chose the word for that purpose - its just an 'accident' of sound/sight.

P.S. In case your rant was directed at me:
A) I'm not hearing, I'm Deaf ... I'm fluent in ASL and English.

B) Linguistics is something I've studied quite a bit of - so I wasn't mis-speaking.

C) If you're going to make a point of criticizing people's understanding of word/sign & English/ASL language usage - take the time to use spell & grammar check on your posts first so you don't look like a hypocrite ;)

oh ok.
wink

I was listening to a song and noticed that the singers used their hands a lot in the song to illustrate meaning. It got me thinking. Do we hearies who use our hands a lot in conversation ever accidentally say anything embarrassing in sign language?

no. we know the difference between gesturing and signing.....

meh

Gesture was the word I meant, but I couldn't remember it at the moment.

Thanks for the book suggestion.

You mean, when they/we are trying to make a heart shape with their hands and don't bend the thumbs in enough?

ASL is a precise language, you use your fingers, hands and arms. To unintentionally sign something gross or embarrassing while making a gesture wouldn't really be something I could see. Not to mention if you're a hearie and I know you can't sign, I'm not really looking at your hands, I'm looking at your mouth and facial expressions. As Jiro said, we understand gestures from signing, even then... no sign that would be "omg god awful" or anything I can think of that would be easily made as a gesture.

Hearing (non-signing) people don't worry about accidentally making gestures that could be misconstrued as ASL signs. At the same time, do deaf people worry about accidentally making oral sounds that might be mistaken for bad words?

Does the Pope worry about saying a foreign bad word accidentally?

Pope Francis drops 'F-bomb' during Vatican blessing - latimes.com

It happens. No big deal (unless it ends up on youtube). :lol:

michelle-obama-readers-digest-178x250.jpg

Back