Signs of Positive Change!!!!!

deafdyke

Reaction score
I know it sometimes seems like the Deaf community is dying and that ASL will be extinct in a few years...however there are signs of positive change!!!! I know of several little girls who are "only" HOH (and as a matter of fact, one of them only has a mild loss) but they are learning ASL and going to schools for the Deaf, along with becoming fluent in spoken English and going to schools for hearing kids! Yeah!!!!!Finally some parents aren't falling for the "either or" language choice crap!!! Finally, some hoh kids are going to get the best of both worlds, rather then feeling that they don't belong in either world! :)
I also know of a little girl who has a severe loss, and her mother went to college to become an interpreter!!!! :) (and for you lurkers yes, Olivia is also learning spoken English)
Oh, and I am VERY proud to report that my parents now say that they shouldn't have listened to the experts and pursued ASL for me. My mom actually wants to learn ASL with me!!!!!!! :) :) (My dad knows some as his cousin whom I've never met is Deaf and went to Clarke way back when, and my sis knows ASL too as her best friend (who was our next door neighbor) when we were very little was Deaf...AH MAN! If we hadn't moved,when I was seven I would be totally fluent in ASL! )
If you have any great stories of hearing parents realizing that it's not an "either or" language choice for their deaf/hoh kids, post them here!

I don't know where you got the idea that that the deaf culture was dying...it sure ain't happening.

Go over to Hearing Exchange and you'll see what I mean....there are far far far far too many parents who are "Oh I want my pweshious wittle baby to be healthy and normal so I am going to pretend that they'll be able to function totally in the mainstream only with hearing aids /CIs and speech!"
There are still many many oral schools and stupid parents who think ASL and deaf culture is anti-hearing world....pisses me off immensely!

Originally posted by deafdyke
Go over to Hearing Exchange and you'll see what I mean....there are far far far far too many parents who are "Oh I want my pweshious wittle baby to be healthy and normal so I am going to pretend that they'll be able to function totally in the mainstream only with hearing aids /CIs and speech!"
There are still many many oral schools and stupid parents who think ASL and deaf culture is anti-hearing world....pisses me off immensely!

Go and educate them. (I'm sure that you already are)

deafdyke..u have been here on AD for over 10 years! Congrats!

Back