Signs for science terms

Malina

Reaction score
My daughter is doing a presentation about Emperor Penguins and am having trouble finding the signs for things like phytoplankton and specific species of different antarctic fish. Is there a site to find this information? My daughter is not deaf but she is mute and the school is not helping me teach her sign language I just have to figure it out myself.
Thanks.

My daughter is doing a presentation about Emperor Penguins and am having trouble finding the signs for things like phytoplankton and specific species of different antarctic fish. Is there a site to find this information? My daughter is not deaf but she is mute and the school is not helping me teach her sign language I just have to figure it out myself.
Thanks.

So if she has no sign language instruction what kind of school is it?

If nobody signs, what is the point of her signing it?

How is she communicating at school?

She writes

She can write but if she cannot present her own presentation she gets graded down for it. Other than writing she does not communicate. The school doesn't seem to think this is a problem since she can communicate by writing. But I don't know about anyone else, if my only form of communication was writing, I'd be pretty frustrated. She has selective mutism which means that she has the ability to speak but is inhibited by a severe fear and social anxiety. She only speaks at home.

She can write but if she cannot present her own presentation she gets graded down for it. Other than writing she does not communicate. The school doesn't seem to think this is a problem since she can communicate by writing. But I don't know about anyone else, if my only form of communication was writing, I'd be pretty frustrated. She has selective mutism which means that she has the ability to speak but is inhibited by a severe fear and social anxiety. She only speaks at home.

I know what selective mutism is.

But what good does signing do if she isn't in an environment where she can use it?

How about getting a computer program that can speak for her?

Check out ntid science sign list......
I posted it here way back, many many many smokes ago
Gotta light?

Mmm well I dunno if signing this will work, if no one at the school knows sign, I dunno, I'm missing something maybe, I'll read the op again
Maybe I missed something
If no one knows sign signing won't do squat really.......
For what's it's worth,

I have a book on signs for science and mathematical terms that was published by NTID/RIT titled, "Signs for Science and Mathematics: A Resource Book for Teachers and Students."

This book is about 14 years old, but the signs are still applicable.

Well what about signs in I.T? Am doing that this course where I study at university, Ghana..

Sent from my Desire HD using AllDeaf App mobile app

But what good does signing do if she isn't in an environment where she can use it?

Mmm well I dunno if signing this will work, if no one at the school knows sign, I dunno, I'm missing something maybe, I'll read the op again
Maybe I missed something
If no one knows sign signing won't do squat really.......
For what's it's worth,

Agreed, it would be like giving a speech in Russian to a group that only speaks English, it may make sense to someone, but nobody present is likely to understand.

Now I cAn See where her learning to sign and using sign with people who sign can very much help her in the disorder she has maybe to overcome that anxiety. But just signing to a bunch of heRies wiLl only cause her MORE anxiety. She will be smirked and laughed at and mocked.......
Yep
Most hearies and in my experience most heRies of her age, will not appreciate her signing

Just curious. Is she comfortable speaking while signing (yes, I know that's generally a no-no in Deaf communities)?

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Is there anyway she can speak and give her presentation at home and on video? If they are okay with her writing they should be okay with that.

The idea is to get the report done and move forward, not turn it into a giant life changing event.

The way you are going at it is still putting the trauma back into the situation. Which makes me wonder if somehow without realizing it you are
a partner in her situation.

I'm just wondering if you've considered something like the Dynavox Dynawrite2 ?

I know a number of people who use this or a similar device to communicate and it's a great help. The school should be able to access one for her use if it's put into her IEP.

Yeah, I don't understand why she's not being accomodated. She should have an IEP that states what she needs. You may have to argue for her, get a doctor's note (either from an MD or who helps her deal with her anxiety, be it a psychologist or psychiatgrist or other therapist) and really fight for her needs instead of accepting that the school is being an ass towards her.

While she uses something like the Dynawrite at school, she can still benefit from learning ASL. I have an acquaintance who gets mutism from a neurological disorder. He finds that knowing ASL is very useful for him, especially in college and then in graduate school. Not only did he find it easier to contribute in class with the help of an interpreter, it allowed him to be more functional in higher education and it also gave him access to a social group that he wouldn't otherwise have had. And yes, by social group I mean the dhh who attended his schools.

I would add it to her IEP that she needs to use a Dynawrite AND she needs to learn ASL

Back