signs for football teams.

SpiceHD

Reaction score
an interpreter asked me a good question... as we well know some people cannot spell well. we all have signs for football teams but... only local signs. so i was thinking.. hmmm lot of teams i dont really know signs for. i would appericate some of your help on some of them. i will write down the list of the teams and the signs for it... or if its easier i can just vblog it and please correct me if you think i did it wrong. :) (im still at work and will be off in 6 min so really no time to type down each team and their sign for it) while im driving to pick my son up and get home id like to see some posts about your own team and their sign names.

for me green bay packers would be "G" on side of the head
viking would be on side of head too with "V" but starting from forehead and move to back of the head.
bears would be "bears"

give me your input here please :)

we used to sign "G" as Green then fingerspelling "B A Y"

Most people spelled "M I N N" then use thumb and first finger as image of Viking on side of head.

I always insult to Dallas fans. I used to spell "DALLAS" D and L as use my middle finger as bad word instead regular fingerspelling.

I spell G-B-A-Y. M-I-N-N Sign COWGIRLS for Cowboys. HA, sorry to Cowgirls fans!

Usually, most people sign or fingerspell name of city vs city instead name city and name team vs city and name team

For example: As you know common sign language "NY". They have two different teams in one city. They used to sign "NY" then fingerspelling name teams "J E T S" or Just "G" for Giants

Both teams Jets and Giants are belong to New Jersey. Just +30 minutes drive from NYC but usually more than 30 minutes since 9-11-01 plus sport events.

Watch out for older people still bad habit/think of teams which was belong to other cities.
My old habit Rams which was belong to LA Calif and Colts which was belong to Baltimore. When I tried to say something like Minn vs Rams. I never like (Spell) Minn vs (Sign) St Louis. In my minds still think of St Louis Cards. One morning, I was excite to see my friends from college players are in NFL. I looked name of teams Colts vs Cards. In my mind, think of Baltimore Colts and St. Louis Cards. I spoke my son, I can't wait to see Baltimore vs St Louis game on TV. I gave wrong info name of cities

usually that works for us but the problem is some people cannot use fingers very well so need sign instead of spelling. thats what im asking for :)

Most deaf that I talk with about football simply we just name the city... and sometimes will say Steelers (Steel sign with no other embellishment) or Red Bird to signify Cardinals, but more often it's naming the city they're in and go from that... as long as you and your participants in the conversation know you are talking about "football" then okay. Those who follow football would know the basic team info.

Same with Basketball and Baseball teams.

anybody else have ideas of signs for some football teams like

New York Giants

Oakland Raiders

Pittsburg Steelers

San Diego Chargers

Seatte Seahawks

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Denver Broncos

Jacksonville Jaguars

remember that person cannot use fingers to spell very well. needs signs.

Living in Green Bay, I can say the local accepted sign in our Deaf community is the G on the side of the head. When referring to a specific player, follow the Packer sign with their jersey number.

I'm just glad it isn't something like cheese + head. :)

remember that person cannot use fingers to spell very well. needs signs.

What wrong with that person can't use fingers? Does your friend have 5fingers x two hands (total 10 fingers)?

Look at me.... I have rheumatoid arthritis. I still use fingers to spell.

Once, I saw person talked about San Diego Chargers. They made short spell "SD" then sign lightning "Chargers" on side as image of helmet.

I lived in Seattle for 5 years. Nobody signs for Seahawks. Right now, I am in New Jersey at between Washington DC and NYC.

Recently, I told you about New York Giants or Jets. See my posted "They used to sign "NY" then fingerspelling name teams "J E T S" or Just "G" for Giants".

My best friend from Baltimore. He has excellent deaf community. I never see his sign for Ravens. Common sign for Baltimore then spelling "Ravens".

If, you make your own idea. Other people will not understand what you talk about it. They think you make home sign. Interpreter will not understand at all.

I noticed that in some team, they make up their own gesture that symbolize that team (kinda like how people do "YMCA"). I wonder if it ok to use it for the deaf?

Back