Signs for all religions?

PatsCats

Reaction score
Is there already a Thread about this?

I need to find signs for as many religions as possible. Not just Christian religions, but also such as Buddhism, Islam, Pagan, Hindu, Sikh, etc. Any idea where I could find such signs?

Thanx! :)

Did you try ASLPro.com? I know it has a Religious Dictionary.

Here's an excellent resource:

The interpreter's friend

I attended his workshop on religious signing a few years ago. Sadly, David Bar-Tzur has passed away. :(

Barnes and Noble also carries a religious signing dictionary that's pretty inclusive.

Here's an excellent resource:

The interpreter's friend

I attended his workshop on religious signing a few years ago. Sadly, David Bar-Tzur has passed away. :(

I'm sorry to hear that someone who sounds like he was a very good teacher, and someone you knew, has passed.

I tried to follow a link to that site from somewhere else, but the link was broken. Your link worked just fine! :ty:

This has been the best resource I have found so far. It even gives signs for really unusual religions such as Unitarian Universalism, although no one knows what that one is anyway! :giggle:

Thank you again!

I'm sorry to hear that someone who sounds like he was a very good teacher, and someone you knew, has passed.

I tried to follow a link to that site from somewhere else, but the link was broken. Your link worked just fine! :ty:

This has been the best resource I have found so far. It even gives signs for really unusual religions such as Unitarian Universalism, although no one knows what that one is anyway! :giggle:

Thank you again!
You are very welcome. :)

Yes, he was a very good teacher. He was still working on his religious signing curriculum, always adding more to it, when he passed away.

Religious Signing: A Comprehensive Guide for All Faiths

Elaine Costello

Elaine Costello

Maybe I'm not yet understanding how ASL works, and how some signs fill in for others, you just need to know the context (like synonyms in English). Like how the signs for First and One Dollar look very similar, you need to know if you're talking about the order of something, or an amount of money.

After doing some research, here's my opinion.

I went to Amazon and was able to see a portion of the book. For Buddhist; I got Choir. For Buddhism I got Body, or Flesh. I don't know anything about what or how Buddhists sing, but I know they believe the Flesh is an illusion.

For Hindu I got Fellowship of Believers, Brotherhood of Believers, explained in the text as "a partnership of people believing in Christ to support the Gospel and do charitable work for the church." Hindus don't "believe in Christ."

For Pagan I got Idolatry.

Again, maybe I just don't "get" ASL yet (forgive me, I'm still very new), but it seems to me these signs don't really match the religions they describe. It's like picking up a standard dictionary and looking up the word Deaf, only to find it says "people who are afflicted with the handicap of defective ears." That seems unfair, very biased.

I very much prefer the site The interpreter's friend :)ty::ty::ty: Reba) as its signs for the various religions seem to describe the religions as the practitioners themselves might describe them. It even contained words related to each religion, such as Atman, and Bodhisattva, which the book did not. I found this to be much more helpful on first look. I will do more research.

Thank you all so far. Any additional suggestions?

..Thank you all so far. Any additional suggestions?
When in doubt, spell and ask the deaf members of that religion what signs they use.

Be aware that there are signs used by people who are outside that religion, and signs used by those who are members of that religion; they aren't necessarily the same signs.

The signs that you might use in a history class to identify a religion might not be the signs that the religious group uses in self identification or during a worship service.

Check youtube for some examples. Don't limit yourself to "lesson" videos but also search for ones that are just chats or vlogs about that religion, and are signed by practitioners of that religion.

Elaine Costello
I looked up that book. It seems to be an update of one that I had many years ago (same author). I don't have it anymore.

I wouldn't call it "comprehensive."

Back