Signing the alphabet

Journey

Reaction score
I am interested to know if most of you sign the letters "g" and "h" with your palm in or palm out? I have always used and encountered palm in but many alphabet pictorals show palm out.

In.

Have you ever tried it palm out? Most uncomfortable, unless they were signing the letters upside-down.

Whose pictorials show it with palm out? Did they indicate from what perspective they are being viewed?

Always in. I think the pictures that look like palm-out are just showing the handshape so the signer knows how to form their hands.

In.

Have you ever tried it palm out? Most uncomfortable, unless they were signing the letters upside-down.<uncomfortable to say the least, I think I sprained my wrist trying palm out on light, night and right haha!>

Whose pictorials show it with palm out? Did they indicate from what perspective they are being viewed?

My son was looking for a printable (and powerpoint) ASL alphabet for a school project and brought the 'palm out' g and h to my attention. If you google ASL alphabet images, you will see them depicted there over and over again. I thought it most strange. :hmm:

I was told during my ASL course in college it is Palm out but can be done palm in since it is more comfortable, The instructor said as long as who you are signing with knows that you do it like that so you dont confuse them by doing it palm out and then changing to palm in... So if you do it palm out at the start dont change it later, always stay palm out in the conversation. If you do it palm in, then continue palm in and make sure who you are signing with understands you are doing so. It is just basically your preference.

I was told during my ASL course in college it is Palm out but can be done palm in since it is more comfortable, The instructor said as long as who you are signing with knows that you do it like that so you dont confuse them by doing it palm out and then changing to palm in... So if you do it palm out at the start dont change it later, always stay palm out in the conversation. If you do it palm in, then continue palm in and make sure who you are signing with understands you are doing so. It is just basically your preference.
Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Yes, the instructor is a terp as well.
Said if you start signing palm in to keep it palm in and vice versa.
Said if you go flip flopping you will confuse the person(s)

Yes, the instructor is a terp as well.
Said if you start signing palm in to keep it palm in and vice versa.
Said if you go flip flopping you will confuse the person(s)
Why on earth would someone "flip flop" the letters in the first place? Those would be incorrect sign formations, not to mention awkward movements.

Signing correctly would not confuse anyone who has learned correctly.

It's the instructor's responsibility to demonstrate the correct signs, and correct students when they make incorrect signs or form their signs incorrectly.

Back