signing "gay"

Reba said:
I have never seen anyone use that sign for "queer" as meaning a homosexual person. I see it used for meaning something is queer as in strange, unusual, or odd. For example, the English sentence, "My goodness, what a queer little lamp that is."

Maybe most of you are too young to remember, but when I was growing up, the word "queer" was commonly used for something that was unusual; it had nothing to do with homosexuality. It became a word to refer to effeminate men because it used to be unusual for men to act that way. Also, the word "gay" just meant happy or cheerful. "Our gay apparel" meant party clothes. It had nothing to do with homosexuality. The meaning of those two English words have been totally twisted. Now everyone thinks they only refer to homosexuals. :roll:

Yes, that was what I thought, too.

I never seen that queer sign before and my friend only finger spell Q-U-E-E-R

At NTID, people tell me that you just spell it out... G-A-Y. I don't know why. I think that the 'G' sign on the chin is also considered the same sign as "fag". So, they decide to spell it out instead. As for lesbian, there is no other meaning for using the 'L' sign on the chin so it seems to be okay for that. :dunno:

VamPyroX said:
At NTID, people tell me that you just spell it out... G-A-Y. I don't know why. I think that the 'G' sign on the chin is also considered the same sign as "fag". So, they decide to spell it out instead. As for lesbian, there is no other meaning for using the 'L' sign on the chin so it seems to be okay for that. :dunno:
Oh, maybe deaf people are offended by the sexual signs :dunno:

amusing...

lbo050521.gif

i'm gonna be a terp when i finish college hopefully(and yes i'm gay and one of the better signers in class lol)... but what i wanted to say was that i was taught "fruity" by one of the deaf tutors in my ASL lab.

You touch your middle finger to your chin, raise your head up(almost like an arrogant person would* and then twist your wrist so that the person in front of you can see your middle finger. I might not have explained how to sign it correctly but i prefer that one myself ^^

Back