signing deaf of Deaf teen gets CIs despite family opposition

Ignoring questions, exaggerating and resorting to straw men, nothing new..

You are comparing your child with a person who was born hearing and remained so for some years, and happened to maybe know ASL, though the we can't be sure about the fluency of ASL if she knew. Not all deaf parents use signs to their hearing children. But she clearly had superior speech and listing skills compared to a deaf child.

At least you admitted that your posts are about the choices you made with your daughter.

Flip, your post makes no sense. I've not posed a straw man argument. And I'm not comparing my child to a born hearing child who knows a little ASL -- who are you referring to? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I posted an essay written by a signing Deaf teenager raised in a Deaf family who opted for CIs. When you challenged me as to why I would post this, if it was to justify my own decisions, I explained that this is a unique perspective we don't see very often and it interests me because it is another example of how CIs and ASL are not mutually exclusive, which is something I wish more families realized. Yes, I would like other families to choose a bi-modally bilingual approach, because I see it working so well with my daughter, and I'd like to share that with other families who might think it's not possible or not beneficial to incorporate ASL in their children's lives.

Why do you object so strenuously to seeing real life stories coming directly from today's d/Deaf teenagers? Just because their experiences are very different from yours doesn't discount what you've encountered. They will have their own unique opportunities and challenges as d/Deaf children using CIs.

Last edited:
Flip, your post makes no sense. I've not posed a straw man argument. And I'm not comparing my child to a born hearing child who knows a little ASL -- who are you referring to? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I posted an essay written by a signing Deaf teenager raised in a Deaf family who opted for CIs. When you challenged me as to why I would post this, if it was to justify my own decisions, I explained that this is a unique perspective we don't see very often and it interests me because it is another example of how CIs and ASL are not mutually exclusive, which is something I wish more families realized. Yes, I would like other families to choose a bi-modally bilingual approach, because I see it working so well with my daughter, and I'd like to share that with other families who might think it's not possible or not beneficial to incorporate ASL in their children's lives.

Why do you object so strenuously to seeing real life stories coming directly from today's d/Deaf teenagers? Just because their experiences are very different from yours doesn't discount what you've encountered. They will have their own unique opportunities and challenges as d/Deaf children using CIs.
That was a suprising long reply to a post that didnt't made sense you, whatever..

An example of a straw man from you in the post before this: I, Flip, want to see stories only from hearing families with deaf children.

From this reply: "Why do you object so strenuously to seeing real life stories coming directly from today's d/Deaf teenagers?".

If you read careful around, you will see that I never said that, classic straw men. Guess it's hard to change habits.

In the OP, it's a teenager who you describe by:"perspective of a child whose first language was ASL and who is integrating both language modalities into her world, much like my daughter does.". So, yes, you are comparing your child to someone that definately was born hearing, and with unknown level of ASL. We do not know what her first language were. It's not even clear if the father was deaf or not, if father she had a father at all, and if she had any hearing sibblings or if all were deaf.

You go on deciding that this teenager is "Deaf", even if the article only states that she grew up in a Deaf family, and had signing help in a mainstream school. The teenager says she misses small sounds, something that indicates that she medically is hard of hearing, and maybe even can use phone with hearing aids. There is a lot in this story that we do not know, and as one other poster said, we miss the version of the mother.

But so, I don't care what stories are told, free speech is good. Just notice you make biased interpretations with an article from a hardcore cochlear implant oralist site that aims to promote that deaf children can "learn the language through hearing and speaking". Then you go on claiming that you are longing for more parents to follow the bilingual path, even if your signature says otherwise. Maybe it's you who don't make sense?

I understand your unwillingness to accept this essay from a teen raised in a Deaf family, using ASL all her life, because it's different from your experience and what you might expect. But again, this is not denigrating your experience at all. Different time and place, different child. This is not an attack on you.

I know it's your schtick, but it's a shame you so often feel the need to try to invalidate or mock any mention of CIs and ASL coming together, even at expense of invalidating another signing deaf person.

Flip (and maybe others)
I suggest that you go back and re-read the first post. The use of the term Deaf for this family originates not with GrendelQ but in the quote from the teenager that got the CI. Also, that quote says that it was after having hearing aids and losing more hearing that she missed “hearing little things, like the birds, noises from the kitchen etc.”

im curious why she isn't fully satisfied so does it have to practice all over again even though she was hearing?

I understand your unwillingness to accept this essay from a teen raised in a Deaf family, using ASL all her life, because it's different from your experience and what you might expect. But again, this is not denigrating your experience at all. Different time and place, different child. This is not an attack on you.

I know it's your schtick, but it's a shame you so often feel the need to try to invalidate or mock any mention of CIs and ASL coming together, even at expense of invalidating another signing deaf person.
You okay? This reply is too far from the reality and based on too much imagination and projection to make any reply.

Flip (and maybe others)
I suggest that you go back and re-read the first post. The use of the term Deaf for this family originates not with GrendelQ but in the quote from the teenager that got the CI. Also, that quote says that it was after having hearing aids and losing more hearing that she missed “hearing little things, like the birds, noises from the kitchen etc.”
GrendelQ used the term Deaf for the girl. The girl never said she was Deaf, only that she grew up in a Deaf family. We simply dont know about the girl herself.

How deaf she became is also not clear. Just saying because this story is used to make specific points, based on personal interpretations.

Personally I can not understand and reason (except financial maybe) why a parent would deny a child a cochlear implant.

Because they don't always work.
Because there's no going back- they destroy residual hearing.
Because it's essentially brain surgery.

Because surgery on your child's skull is scary, terrifying, even, and the benefits are not going to be equally obvious in every situation. If you have never heard and you are happy and content with your life, enjoy it, even, it must seem kind of creepy to cut into a kid's skull to avoid something you don't even think is an issue.

I don't really have an issue with CI, and I think I would probably at least look into it for a child of mine - although I also consider my opinion irrelevant anyway since I am hearing and so are all my family members except one HoH son-in-law. But I can understand why some parents would consider the risks vs the benefits and decide CI was more risk than benefit, at least for the moment. I can't judge them for that. It's not my decision.

Grayma, CI surgery is NOT a brain surgery.

im curious why she isn't fully satisfied so does it have to practice all over again even though she was hearing?

yeah, you always need to practice and get used to CI hearing. And honestly - you're usually learnign your whole life :) Even after almost 13 years of using CI I still have moments when I learn something new.
I can't tell it from my own experience, but I think that people who remember natural hearing know that CI isn't the same. But I also guess most of them are thankful for at least some hearing.

Yes, it is not brain surgery. The whole procedure never touches the brain matter, nor even the dura but the skull alone by carving out a small depression to allow the processor to fit snuggly in it.

As for residual hearing, much of it can be preserved through the latest CI technique where in the past residual hearing would have been likely destroyed.

New frontiers in cochlear implanta... [Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Electrocochleography during Cochlear Implantation for Hearing Preservation

Interesting story from a signing deaf of Deaf child whose family opposed CIs, yet who chose to get one as teenager.

source

It's you who says "Deaf child" but i think she is deaf.

according to this source that she admits that she is not fully a Deaf so she is just a deaf. I can understand where did she comes from.

Interesting story from a signing deaf of Deaf child whose family opposed CIs, yet who chose to get one as teenager.

source

according to this source that she admits that she is not fully a Deaf so she is just a deaf. I can understand where did she comes from.

Why do you use the quote in which I called the poster a "signing deaf of Deaf child" to argue this? Do you think her family she refers to as Deaf is not really Deaf, too?

Last edited:

I admit that I have not looked back to see just where this occurred. But if this was at the start of a sentence the capital D could well be simply the matter of starting every sentence with a capital.

Why do you use the quote in which I called the poster a "signing deaf of Deaf child" to argue this? Do you think her the family she refers to as Deaf is not really Deaf, too?

That's what I thought you were saying that she is Deaf. but you say "signing deaf of Deaf child (i thought that means She is Deaf)". I see that she said that herself that she is deaf. That make senses why she lost her hearing so want to hear again by having implanted. If she said her Deaf family then her parents must be Deaf. Nothing else.

Sure, i know some Deaf people would get implanted on their own decisions or Deaf parents do get their D/deaf kids implanted too.

Back