signing deaf of Deaf teen gets CIs despite family opposition

Great story! I strongly believe that CI should always be the deaf person's decision and no one else's (which is why I believe young children shouldn't be implanted). A teenager is perfectly capable of making this decision and I'm happy that they made the right decision for them!

How old was she when she got the CI? If she was legally an adult, wouldn't it be her choice? I thought most of the CI controversy was about parents who decided for their minor children to get implants. If she's of age and well informed, then it's up to her.

How old was she when she got the CI? If she was legally an adult, wouldn't it be her choice? I thought most of the CI controversy was about parents who decided for their minor children to get implants. If she's of age and well informed, then it's up to her.

She needed her mother to sign consent papers for the recent surgery, so I assume she is still a teenager.

typingcatanimatedavatar.gif

She needed her mother to sign consent papers for the recent surgery, so I assume she is still a teenager.
Then she just needs to wait until she's of legal age to do whatever she wants.

yeah but she can always get help such as more speech therapy and HAs through the agency as much as she can.
Apparently she got what she wanted. Her mother finally gave her consent.

On the other hand . . .

Suppose a mother wants her teenage daughter to get a CI, and the daughter doesn't want one.

Suppose that daughter expressed her feelings about not wanting a CI but the mother forced her to get one before the girl became of legal age.

:hmm:

On the other hand . . .

Suppose a mother wants her teenage daughter to get a CI, and the daughter doesn't want one.

Suppose that daughter expressed her feelings about not wanting a CI but the mother forced her to get one before the girl became of legal age.

yeah that is a good question. From what I know through my friends' and they did decline it with their parents. Same thing for my parents did ask me about it for several times over years. I declined what they asked and respected for me. But I do not know about others who are being forced into it.

That is an interesting scenario, have you encountered such a situation where Deaf parents wanted a signing Deaf teenager to get a CI but the child was against it, yet was forced to get the surgery despite objecting ?

On the other hand . . .

That is an interesting scenario, have you encountered such a situation where Deaf parents wanted a signing Deaf teenager to get a CI but the child was against it, yet was forced to get the surgery despite objecting ?

I know lots of Deaf parents wanted a signing Deaf kids to get a ci but teenagers? no.

I have seen attempts to try that from hearing parents, but the parents were fortunately talked out if it. I've also seen parents getting divorced over this topic, and the kid moving with the parent who didn't requested CI. Deaf parents could do that if they were raises oralist and taught that speech is extremely important for life quality, I guess.

Those stories are of course not published on sites where you pick up your stories, neither are stories about CI kids with weak identities. Could it be a specific reason for that?

You don't happen to post this story just because you have a daughter with CI and want to get approval from everyone that you made the right choice? In case you didn't know, it's a sub forum for parents who want to talk about CI. This thread maybe belong better there?

Personally I can not understand and reason (except financial maybe) why a parent would deny a child a cochlear implant.

If a kid was bullied into having a CI, when the kid in reality wouldn't benefit from it, you would let the kid undergo a survey?

I have seen attempts to try that from hearing parents, but the parents were fortunately talked out if it. I've also seen parents getting divorced over this topic, and the kid moving with the parent who didn't requested CI. Deaf parents could do that if they were raises oralist and taught that speech is extremely important for life quality, I guess.

Those stories are of course not published on sites where you pick up your stories, neither are stories about CI kids with weak identities. Could it be a specific reason for that?

You don't happen to post this story just because you have a daughter with CI and want to get approval from everyone that you made the right choice? In case you didn't know, it's a sub forum for parents who want to talk about CI. This thread maybe belong better there?

No, there are hundreds of stories of happy, healthy deaf kids with CIs I don't post. I posted this one because it was brand new that week, and because unlike the majority of stories we see (reflecting the # of deaf of hearing), it's also a story not only about a Deaf child who wasn't impacted by having a hearing family, but also from the perspective of a child whose first language was ASL and who is integrating both language modalities into her world, much like my daughter does.

If you take a look at my postings, you'll see they are primarily about bimodal-bilingual scenarios -- because they get so little exposure, and many parents aren't aware that their children could have access to both spoken and signed language if they choose CIs. If you would rather see only stories of deaf children from hearing families, OK, put me on ignore, but I don't know why that would be more interesting on this forum than stories directly from Deaf children who sign.

No, there are hundreds of stories of happy, healthy deaf kids with CIs I don't post. I posted this one because it was brand new that week, and because unlike the majority of stories we see (reflecting the # of deaf of hearing), it's also a story not only about a Deaf child who wasn't impacted by having a hearing family, but also from the perspective of a child whose first language was ASL and who is integrating both language modalities into her world, much like my daughter does.

If you take a look at my postings, you'll see they are primarily about bimodal-bilingual scenarios -- because they get so little exposure, and many parents aren't aware that their children could have access to both spoken and signed language if they choose CIs. If you would rather see only stories of deaf children from hearing families, OK, put me on ignore, but I don't know why that would be more interesting on this forum than stories directly from Deaf children who sign.

The stories are just so embarrassingly like Russian propaganda stories for schoolchildren in the fifties...

Ignoring questions, exaggerating and resorting to straw men, nothing new..

You are comparing your child with a person who was born hearing and remained so for some years, and happened to maybe know ASL, though the we can't be sure about the fluency of ASL if she knew. Not all deaf parents use signs to their hearing children. But she clearly had superior speech and listing skills compared to a deaf child.

At least you admitted that your posts are about the choices you made with your daughter.

The stories are just so embarrassingly like Russian propaganda stories for schoolchildren in the fifties...

That's the questionable part of that post. Why the need for stories like this if CI really are that no brainer and successfull, and when we know people in general thrust the medical community.

Trying to ignore the elephant in the room?

Back