Signing Day

RainGurl

Reaction score
One of the teachers from the Deaf and Hard of Hearing School has approached me to have a "Signing Day."

I am really nervous, I am not good with "speaking." She says I wouldn't have to just have some people at a center or in my home. Families that she works with would love to come. Since most of them are hearing parents with deaf/hofh children. She commented that I could teach them ASL, and give them vital informaton about the deaf culture. Since I am hofh and I can tell them what their world is like. I am still chewing on it as an idea. I did do that website but I need support with it. She wants her families as well as other families to have somewhere to go. I told her I wanted a deaf/hofh "cubs, brownies, gymnatics sort of thing" SOMETHING that is provided for them. She keeps telling me, that I could start something.

However, I am not that brave. If I had more support maybe. But I know that doing it alone is a very "big task."

What do you guys think? I mean, I could start small? 3 weeks in my own home and then have someone else volunteer in theirs. We can sign stories, songs, etc.

...? :dunno:

We would also be providing support and allow our children to form relationships with other deafies! :hug: as well as educating parents.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like a lot of fun!!!!! Do it! I mean, one complaint that I hear from some hearie parents is that the Deaf Culture is sometimes TOO deaf, and doesn't really welcome hoh folks. You could really impact hearing families learning ASL, and maybe even EXPAND the number of folks learning ASL!

aww it will be fun for you! :)

I remember back in St.Louis, MO..our deaf church members and I signed at the baseball field and we were on television...:D

deafdyke said:
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like a lot of fun!!!!! Do it! I mean, one complaint that I hear from some hearie parents is that the Deaf Culture is sometimes TOO deaf, and doesn't really welcome hoh folks. You could really impact hearing families learning ASL, and maybe even EXPAND the number of folks learning ASL!

Hmmm I never noticed this before.. I am fully hearing well I have tenitious (sp*) but no big deal. And my girlfriend along with her entire family is deaf, and they welcomed me like I was a member of the family, and insit I goto events with them.... :dunno: But I think Sign Day would be cool!!

Back