Signing and Driving.

SigningTinker

Reaction score
As my Mother and I were driving down the road this morning, I saw a man driving down a traffic-infested road while signing. :shock: (I can confirm that he was signing, he was using recognizable signs and talking about marriage.) I felt that it was dangerous, especially in traffic, and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever signed while driving. If not, what is your opinion on it?

As my Mother and I were driving down the road this morning, I saw a man driving down a traffic-infested road while signing. :shock: (I can confirm that he was signing, he was using recognizable signs and talking about marriage.) I felt that it was dangerous, especially in traffic, and I was wondering if any of you guys have ever signed while driving. If not, what is your opinion on it?

Of course. You want me to sign while driving. I constantly sign "stop" to my husband. If I didn't he'd be getting all kinds of tickets because he isn't as careful a driver as I am.

I don't drive now due to legal blindness, so to keep the world safe, I have to coach his driving. ;)

In the times I've ridden with Deaf drivers in an urban environment, my experience was that it pretty common to sign and drive. It's really not that big a deal.

Last edited:
My husband and I have caught ourselves signing in a moving car lol, but a very small conversation takes about an hour lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

My friend and I signed back and forth a few times when I was up visiting him in DC. Not too bad considering half the time we were stuck in the slowest moving traffic I'd seen in a LONG time between MD and DC... good lord. Downsides are the inside lights have to be on (at night) and I had a heck of a time reading his fingerspelling sideways.... not easy. But for the most part I've seen deaf people sign a lot-- usually one handed while driving.

That's what my husband said, he like signing 1 handed signs while driving if we are going to sign in the car

I've seen that one-handed signs are common in a variety of situations

Worry when guide dog looking after white stick in car

In the times I've ridden with Deaf drivers in an urban environment, my experience was that it pretty common to sign and drive. It's really not that big a deal.

I just felt that it was kinda dangerous, considering that he was using mostly two-handed signs and looking at the passenger for most of the ride. :crazy:

Well technically listen to loud music is considered dangerous

I sense some common themes of hearing micro-aggressions in Tinker's threads. :hmm:

My friends and family do it all the time. No problems.

I've seen all kinds of people doing things....:giggle:...one woman was driving...crying...smoking...and a beer in one hand...

Another woman...smoking...eating a doughnut w/coffee with one hand rushing to work.

One woman lost her cigarette. and was bent down to the floor board trying to find it while driving...

A man was so engrossed with picking his nose he didn't realize the light had turned green...

2 Teenagers making out at a red light and it turns green...and they're still going at it...

One woman yelling at her kids in the back seat and swearving all over 4 lanes...

People do all kinds of shyt...while driving....:roll:

My friends and family do it all the time. No problems.

Me too. I've never had a problem driving and signing. Obviously, paying attention to the road is still key. We usually use our best judgment.

I sense some common themes of hearing micro-aggressions in Tinker's threads. :hmm:

From me, or someone else? I mean no aggression, I'm just very curious and it's not very fun to get sarcastic comments back, lol :lol:

From me, or someone else? I mean no aggression, I'm just very curious and it's not very fun to get sarcastic comments back, lol :lol:

You are lucky it's only mild sarcasm.

A lifetime of putting up with these kind of comments has conditioned many of us to be very hostile the minute a new person starts up with them.

Me too. I've never had a problem driving and signing. Obviously, paying attention to the road is still key. We usually use our best judgment.

Most of the coversations in the car aren't serious ones that require intense attention. My mom thinks it is soooo dangerous. Lol

So...lighten up...chill out...no worries!...Hearing people talk...yell...fight...while driving.....not forgetting the loud music!

Deafies?...Better drivers and more aware of their surroundings....

You are lucky it's only mild sarcasm.

A lifetime of putting up with these kind of comments has conditioned many of us to be very hostile the minute a new person starts up with them.

Ah, sorry. I don't mean to be offensive or annoying in anything I post, ever. I'm just very new to the deaf community, and I don't know very much. I just want an honest answer without someone getting grumpy because I asked it. It's much simpler to leave the thread alone if the question is 'annoying' or if you've heard it a thousand times. :|

So...lighten up...chill out...no worries!...Hearing people talk...yell...fight...while driving.....not forgetting the loud music!

Deafies?...Better drivers and more aware of their surroundings....

That's true, they do have a lot less distractions. I just wasn't sure that having your hands off of the wheel was very safe, to be honest.

Back