Sign, who's teaching who

iowaboy

Reaction score
Our day care center told us today that they've been having parents come in and say how happy they were that the day care was teaching sign language... only... they haven't been. Apparently, Our 23 month old CI and sign using daughter has been! The signs that have apparently rubbed off on her peers included eat, drink, shoes, socks, play, and a few more. Thats just too cool!

That's fantastic Iowaboy!
Slightly off topic...
Have you been to any SEE skillshops? They do them all across the nation, and I found them to be very beneficial.

Hello CS! No we have not been to any SEE workshops, but that sounds interesting. We mainly use the big yellow SEE dictionary for nouns and verbs, so we're undoubtedly using a very customized version of what is a structured manual language. If you had information about a workshop or skillshop I would be interested in seeing it.

That's fantastic Iowaboy!
Slightly off topic...
Have you been to any SEE skillshops? They do them all across the nation, and I found them to be very beneficial.

Trying to be a snake in the grass, eh? Too bad you got caught. :giggle:

Hello CS! No we have not been to any SEE workshops, but that sounds interesting. We mainly use the big yellow SEE dictionary for nouns and verbs, so we're undoubtedly using a very customized version of what is a structured manual language. If you had information about a workshop or skillshop I would be interested in seeing it.

Here is a link to the SEE Center's skillshops, they periodically update and add more. I don't know how far away you are from some of these locations.

Skillshops

Why are hearing parents recommending SEE when Deaf people say it's cumbersome and annoying and interferes with ASL?

Why are hearing parents recommending SEE when Deaf people say it's cumbersome and annoying and interferes with ASL?

Iowaboy has already stated that they are using SEE. I'm sure there are some good reasons why they are using it now, just as I had legitimate reasons to use it with my son. It serves a purpose.

Iowaboy has already stated that they are using SEE. I'm sure there are some good reasons why they are using it now, just as I had legitimate reasons to use it with my son. It serves a purpose.

I know you believe there are good reasons otherwise you wouldn't use it nor recommend it. I am asking why do you and iowaboy use SEE.

I know you believe there are good reasons otherwise you wouldn't use it nor recommend it. I am asking why do you and iowaboy use SEE.

DeafCaroline,
I'm not necessarily "recommending it". I asked him a question as I know they use SEE. I understand that you're asking, "why?" and I'll leave that to Iowaboy if he wants to answer that question in this thread. I personally have stated some of the reasons why in other threads. If you're interested, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share with you.

We don't use it ourselves (still working hard to achieve family-wide fluency in ASL), so I can't speak pro or con from first-hand experience, but I've seen both Deaf and respected hearing people on AD speak positively about SEE as a literacy tool, a useful bridge to English for an ASL-user, although not a language replacement for either English or ASL -- as have experts on educating deaf children associated with NTID.

Originally Posted by jillio
It [SEE] is acceptable as a tool in teaching a child English. However, that does not make it a language. That makes it a tool for teaching a specific language, the same as writing is a tool for teaching a specific language. Neither one are languages. They are modes of a specific language.

Hey guys. For my daughter's first year she wouldn't have noticed if we put suffix endings on signed English words, or used ASL word order-- But as she began using the CI with excellent results, our expectations were for her to not only master English, but complex English, grammar and syntax. At this point in her development I want her manual communication to mirror her spoken words, as well as written English as she learns it.

We're not Anti-ASL, in fact my wife and I take an ASL class over the ICN once a week, but for where we live, if our daughter can acquire spoken English it will serve her better than SEE or ASL at this point in her life. We see SEE as the best thing for her right now as she acquires spoken English.

it is pretty SEE strong! sound tough, It is very complication on confused SEE

I recommend to your ASL best empowerment sign language

she is SEE reason on aware it i know her bio her SEE reason because otherwise her better ASL I believe it I suggest to her ASL powerful!

she is SEE reason on aware it i know her bio her SEE reason because otherwise her better ASL I believe it I suggest to her ASL powerful!

Travis, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your post correctly... With that said though, I value ASL as much as I value English.

Travis, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your post correctly... With that said though, I value ASL as much as I value English.

you are serious, you interpeter on asl and ESL I wonder you I experience grew on because problem screw up on SEE strong reason!

Back