Sweetmind

Reaction score
It s actually for people who believe ASL as a language. ;)

There is new organization for all people who care about ASL as the cherished heritage of the Deaf community, use it and seek to preserve it.

Here u go! ;)

http://www.societyofaslguardians.org/

Thank you! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for the posting. I get tired of other hearing people pushing little G to be just like them. He's not just like them. He's not broken either **** it. I wouldn't change a thing about that little bugger. He's perfect just the way he is. Ok, he's a 2 year old boy he's not perfect. I just mean the way he's made.

Hmmm. Sounds like they want to set themselves up as the ASL equivalent of the Academie Francaise or the Academia Real, deciding what is and isn't valid ASL. I don't know whether that will go over any better than attempts to do the same for English have, for all the times I've kvetched about not being able to find a grammar for ASL the way I can trivially head to a bookstore or library and find English grammar texts.

Of course, it's hard to disagree with the goals of preserving ASL, or supporting quality ASL instruction, but there's preservation and then there's mummification. Stopping all change in a language kills it.

Sweetmind said:

There is new organization for all people who care about ASL as the cherished heritage of the Deaf community, use it and seek to preserve it.

Here u go! ;)

Thank you! ;)
Hey Sweetmind,
I stongily believe in ASL even tho i was hoh as a child... now I am completly deaf,,,, whatmore my parents were deaf... ASL was my first langauge before i know to speak.....
Thanks!!!
SxyPorkie

I believe in ASL as a language, and as a right for the deaf.
But I also believe the deaf should have an equal opportunity to learn oral and written hearing language, for their own benefit.

Fuzzy

Sweetmind said:

Here u go! ;)

Thank you! ;)
Cool! I'm going to take a look at that.

Audiofuzzy said:
I believe in ASL as a language, and as a right for the deaf.
But I also believe the deaf should have an equal opportunity to learn oral and written hearing language, for their own benefit.

Fuzzy
Do you mean for the benefit of their parents and families?

Seriously, that oralist stuff is :topic: in this thread.

gnulinuxman said:
Do you mean for the benefit of their parents and families?

Seriously, that oralist stuff is :topic: in this thread.

That isn't "oralist stuff." Are you seriously denying that having spoken and written English skills doesn't benefit deaf people?

ayala920 said:
That isn't "oralist stuff." Are you seriously denying that having spoken and written English skills doesn't benefit deaf people?
No, not denying. I was KIDDING.

Yes I do believe in Sign language as Deaf's language. They have the right to use their own language.

Of course therer'e always have speech therapy including.

Consider ASL a language or not? I don't care. It still shouldn't be used as a language in public school where English is a major issue.

It's like other foreign language. In school, you speak English. Out of school, you speak whatever you want.

In school, you sign English. Out of school, you sign ASL or whatever sign language you prefer to use.

I do consider ASL a language in it's own right. After all it does fit the criteria of what a langauge is.
It is different than the langauge that is used by hearing people- there is no doubt about that.
And Gnu- I am not going to determine if you joked or not,
of course this is for the benefit of the deaf person to be oral. It is just a tool to be used when needed, or wanted to. Stop looking at it so one sided.

Fuzzy

VamPyroX said:
Consider ASL a language or not? I don't care. It still shouldn't be used as a language in public school where English is a major issue.

It's like other foreign language. In school, you speak English. Out of school, you speak whatever you want.

In school, you sign English. Out of school, you sign ASL or whatever sign language you prefer to use.
My fiancee has interpreters in school that use ASL.

VamPyroX said:

Why are you at RIT? :roll:

AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE (ASL) AND DEAF CULTURE MATERIALS:
DISTRIBUTORS, ASL CURRICULUMS, & TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION

Frank Caccamise, William Newell, Bonnie Mumford, & Lin Hoke
National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID)
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
96 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5604

Audiofuzzy said:
I do consider ASL a language in it's own right. After all it does fit the criteria of what a langauge is.
It is different than the langauge that is used by hearing people- there is no doubt about that.
And Gnu- I am not going to determine if you joked or not,
of course this is for the benefit of the deaf person to be oral. It is just a tool to be used when needed, or wanted to. Stop looking at it so one sided.

Fuzzy
I never said half of the things you accuse me of saying.

Furthermore, I even said many times that oral speech is beneficial. Of course, you totally ignored that.

I just said oralism is :topic: here. This thread is about ASL.

Fuzzy

I cannot understand you with your different stories in some topics... you did said you are PRO ASL ..in one of topics now you got mixed.. going against ASL.. you prefer being oral deaf with two hearing aids... you are surely are a mixed up person..

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie :dunno: :ugh2:

Whether ASL is a language or not, it should not be considered an excuse for not doing well in school.

Back