Sign Question

jtajlj

Reaction score
Hi All,

My son's babysitter has been using Baby Signing Time with him and the rest of her kids.

As you know I am deaf in the right ear and HoH in the Left. I have watched the 2 video's that I am in question of and they show the correct sign.

for Food/Eat he is using the number 15 sign instead of the actual sign for food/eat

then there is a sign that none of us can figure out he is grabbing at his ear and this is what Baby Signing Time is showing as Pretty however I have always used Beautiful for pretty.

Any Suggestions

Thanks
Justin

I have never seen eat signed any differently than normal when watching Signing Time DVDs. I dont recall seeing pretty, but Rachel typically uses all ASl signs.

I've seen the number 15 sign used for "picnic" once or twice, but never eat.

I was speaking about the handshape...I think? Now i'm confused. :P

Babies and children should be shown the correct ASL signs. However, adults shouldn't expect to see little ones sign back correctly. They don't have the fine motor skills. Just as hearing adults should speak correctly to babies and children, they shouldn't expect little ones to speak back clearly until they are old enough to form the sounds correctly.

Just as babies have to babble before they can speak, they also have to hand-babble before they can sign.

I think it would be confusing to teach them fake signs and then expect them to later transition to ASL signs.

Well

We have figured out that his handshape of 15 is supposed to be Milk just signing it sideways.

i use tugging on my ear for birthday.. weird, never saw anything like that for pretty.

All I know for ear tugging is...well...weed. I touch chin and then chest with middle finger for birthday.

There are lots of regional signs for birthday. Here, one signs birth and then day. Several years ago, went to a party and someone from out of state did the sign touching chin and chest with middle finger. No one had seen the party before and thought it looked strange. Now I see it more often with deaf kids and Youtube videos.

Met a Deaf ASL prof from a Chicago University who showed me a lot of various regional signs for birthday. The ear tugging sign was one of them.

Back