Sign Question

mspottedhorse

Reaction score
Is there a sign, or part of a sign, that has the letter 'Y' wiggled slightly about the same height of face? I saw a sign and I couldn't figure out if this was part of another sign or if it was a signname for a city. It was just the Y wiggled beside the face.

That sign can be 'silly'. It can be someone's name sign. It can be city name sign. That is bit difficult to find out which one.

hey, both of u ... were u talking about me ?!!?

just kidding ya :) Anyway, I agree with Mag
that it's somewhat difficult to identify the sign depends....
and it would depend on what kind of conversations
and where were you located at ?
if you were at the football game, then it might mean
Texas Longhorns and/or
it could mean something else depends on what
conversation/context etc... Maybe color Yellow ?

it sounds like the sign for "taking forever"

the reason why is cuz she said "wiggled slightly about the same height of face" so has me thinking referring to the forehead area qq

Fly Free said:
it sounds like the sign for "taking forever"

the reason why is cuz she said "wiggled slightly about the same height of face" so has me thinking referring to the forehead area qq

yea that.. or maybe shave??

Y said:
hey, both of u ... were u talking about me ?!!?

LOL. Thanks to you and Mag for the response. I believe they were talking about Taylor and possibly a name sign for him. Both people know Taylor and the sign was a 'T' and 'A' up near the face, and then the 'Y' with the Y shaking back and forth. I didn't know if it was another sign or if it was a namesign for Taylor.

There is a city not far from here that starts with 'MAY' so they could have been talking about since both live in that area.

mspottedhorse said:
LOL. Thanks to you and Mag for the response. I believe they were talking about Taylor and possibly a name sign for him. Both people know Taylor and the sign was a 'T' and 'A' up near the face, and then the 'Y' with the Y shaking back and forth. I didn't know if it was another sign or if it was a namesign for Taylor.

There is a city not far from here that starts with 'MAY' so they could have been talking about since both live in that area.

ok, where was the sign nearby? forehead, nose, chin or what??

Side of the face, close to the cheekbone. it wasn't touching the face but off just a little bit.

mspottedhorse said:
Side of the face, close to the cheekbone. it wasn't touching the face but off just a little bit.

it could either be what fly said, or slow or it could also mean shaving too (for men) depending on what the person was talking about.. don't be afraid to ask the person what the sign means if you didn't comprehend it.. thats how you learn/pick up faster ;)

zesty said:
it could either be what fly said, or slow or it could also mean shaving too (for men) depending on what the person was talking about.. don't be afraid to ask the person what the sign means if you didn't comprehend it.. thats how you learn/pick up faster ;)
Yeah that's one too but one thing hit me... it is high-end ASL. You know, when you see something big that happen front of you or see the cute man/beautiful woman.. we sign 'wow' with 'Y' included certain facial expression?

Does anyone catch what I mean about 'wow' with 'Y' sign? (I am no good at describing the details of sign languages...)

I wish I would have been paying better attention. I did not want to eavesdrop on them. Is it possible it was a modified airplane since taylor likes to fly? I don't know. Again it may not have been about taylor at all but the city near us. I had never seen the sign before and the people that were signing know taylor a little and it was taylor that introduced me to them. That is why I think taylor came up in the conversation. Taylor has never mentioned a namesign before so who knows :(

mspottedhorse said:
I wish I would have been paying better attention. I did not want to eavesdrop on them. Is it possible it was a modified airplane since taylor likes to fly? I don't know. Again it may not have been about taylor at all but the city near us. I had never seen the sign before and the people that were signing know taylor a little and it was taylor that introduced me to them. That is why I think taylor came up in the conversation. Taylor has never mentioned a namesign before so who knows :(

awww dont feel bad... i am sure the sign will be come again.. then you can ask what it means.. :)

You can look up the words that you think might be what you saw on the ASL browser. The browser shows a short video for each sign. Then you can tell if that is what you saw.

For example, look up "yellow", "shave", "airplane", "gold", "blonde" and "California" to see if any of those signs match what you saw.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Reba said:
You can look up the words that you think might be what you saw on the ASL browser. The browser shows a short video for each sign. Then you can tell if that is what you saw.

For example, look up "yellow", "shave", "airplane", "gold", "blonde" and "California" to see if any of those signs match what you saw.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

AWESOME REBA!! hopefully this will help her!!! WTG!! :thumb:

I checked the 'wow' thru Reba's link. It is old sign for 'wow', not high-end ASL as I stated in my previous post.

I definitely have to get a webcam someday and install so I can upload and show to everyone who wants to know the sign and all to make everything easier...

Magatsu said:
I checked the 'wow' thru Reba's link. It is old sign for 'wow', not high-end ASL as I stated in my previous post.

I definitely have to get a webcam someday and install so I can upload and show to everyone who wants to know the sign and all to make everything easier...

vp is way a lot better fyi!! :D

Depending on the hand placement, movement, and palm orientation, other possible one-hand "Y" signs are "phone" (but probably not wiggling), "foolish", OIC, "why", "drunk", or ""me too".

The book The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary by Richard A. Tennant and Marianne Gluszak Brown is useful for reverse look-up of signs. Signs are listed in order of handshape rather than glossed English meaning.

Reba said:
Depending on the hand placement, movement, and palm orientation, other possible one-hand "Y" signs are "phone" (but probably not wiggling), "foolish", OIC, "why", "drunk", or ""me too".

The book The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary by Richard A. Tennant and Marianne Gluszak Brown is useful for reverse look-up of signs. Signs are listed in order of handshape rather than glossed English meaning.

Reba, everything I see points to yellow but I couldn't tell you why. I've gone through all of my books and telephone and yellow come the closest. As mentioned, telephone doesn't have the 2 twists like yellow does. I will also pass your book selection on to Taylor since we were just discussing a reverse dictionary prior to him leaving on his trip. I'll give him the suggestion when he gets back.

I just looked again at "gold". Do that but leave the hand near the cheek instead of lowering it down.

Back