Sign needed: Basketball term: Swish

SimplyMints

Reaction score
I need a quick concise sign or gesture for the concept of a basketball falling through the hoop without touching the rim, commonly known as "Swish!" or "Nothing But Net" things like that. Of course, I can wait until I become more fluent in ASL and come up with my own if nobody wants to tell me, but as it is, I've tried out a few possibilities by myself, and I'm just afraid they're liable to mean something perverted or gross. One looks like it could mean "crapping basketballs" or diahrea or rapidly laying basketball eggs, some things like that, so I just thought I'd ask :D Hoping to avoid embarrassing misunderstandings :D

If not on the basketball court when saying it, you do know the sign for basketball is a few bounces with the hand palm down, and then a move like shooting the ball?

I know the sign for a basketball "swishing" and I usually use two signs to accomplish it, although one is ok, too. I just don't know how to craft clearly into words how it is signed but, fortunately, Botti is here!

Ok, I thought missing the hoop. Phew.

Make a right hand palm signing FIVE then put down your middle finger and aim it to the left hand palm signing the letter O, and use the middle finger to SCORE!

I know the sign for a basketball "swishing" and I usually use two signs to accomplish it, although one is ok, too. I just don't know how to craft clearly into words how it is signed but, fortunately, Botti is here!
I am here, but don't know sign for "swish". Not an athlete, and normally would not even say basketball!

How can I craft your words Tousi? I will try if you want.

Well, iamdeafsowhat, has presented one way although I don't use it nor have I seen my sports-minded friends use it. I'll try, Botti, let me see if I can flesh it out in my mind.....later, girl...

Ok, I thought missing the hoop. Phew.

Make a right hand palm signing FIVE then put down your middle finger and aim it to the left hand palm signing the letter O, and use the middle finger to SCORE!

I'll keep my eye on this thread since it looks like there is some more to be learned from it, but this looks like a nice one! In the context of basketball, it should work, and I'm not worried about having to sign Basketball first since when you're talking about basketball, that'll end up being part of your story anyway. I imagine using the hand movement with the "right hand" as if I'm shooting a ball, but with the hand shape that causes the middle finger to go into the O. Just to make sure it won't be misunderstood as something perverted .. although I'd probably just laugh and accept the correction from the person I'm signing to :giggle:

Tousi,

I've been told that I'm a pretty good writer. If you send me a PM, I would be happy to translate what you tell me about how the sign is made into an understandable description.

Tousi,

I've been told that I'm a pretty good writer. If you send me a PM, I would be happy to translate what you tell me about how the sign is made into an understandable description.

Shy?

I did it in public. Why can't you, Rival?

Shy?

I did it in public. Why can't you, Rival?

imdeafsowhat,

Me, shy? Not at all.

I suggested Tousi send me a PM in case he/she (sorry, I do not know your gender, Tousi) doesn't feel comfortable posting here.

If Tousi wants to post in this thread, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. I will be more than happy to translate what he/she writes either way.

imdeafsowhat,

Me, shy? Not at all.

I suggested Tousi send me a PM in case he/she (sorry, I do not know your gender, Tousi) doesn't feel comfortable posting here.

If Tousi wants to post in this thread, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. I will be more than happy to translate what he/she writes either way.

You want to best me. You do.

If that's what you want to think, that's your perogative. I'm just trying to help. :roll:

Yea, Right.

This was what is going in your mind, "Damn, that guy gave out a good instruction, I bet I can do better, Tousi! Tousi! Tousi! Give me something, I'll outdo that guy!"

Yea, Right.

This was what is going in your mind, "Damn, that guy gave out a good instruction, I bet I can do better, Tousi! Tousi! Tousi! Give me something, I'll outdo that guy!"

Feeling a little insecure there, imdeafsowhat?

Believe what you want to believe. I could care less. :roll:

Back