Sign Movies

Aber

Reaction score
Why aren't there any movies out that people sign in to communicate?? Doesn't seem fair that all the movies are in spoken english, maybe we need to start Deaf Hollywood...

there is one i am aware of -- Children of a Lesser God with Marlee Matlin, William Hurt

There are independent Deaf filmmakers who made a few ASL films. You can find them at http://www.cfv.org/ Just type "deaf" in their search and you'll find a number of films with people using full ASL. Hope it helps. :)

EDIT: Try look up "The Key" and "Love is Never Silent", they're good. :) I wish they have the old TV movie, "And your name is Jonah". It is something of a classic in itself, I think. Unfortunately, it is hard to find. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because of the audience that watches them. The majority of viewers are hearing so we have hearing films. ;)

Toonces said:
There are independent Deaf filmmakers who made a few ASL films. You can find them at http://www.cfv.org/ Just type "deaf" in their search and you'll find a number of films with people using full ASL. Hope it helps. :)

EDIT: Try look up "The Key" and "Love is Never Silent", they're good. :) I wish they have the old TV movie, "And your name is Jonah". It is something of a classic in itself, I think. Unfortunately, it is hard to find. :(

:eek: i cannot believe i forgot abt those other movies u mentioned -- i remember "And your name is Jonah"

*smh* at myself :Oops:

once again,
Interpreters, captions, are expensive...

It's will be SUPER nice to have deaf actors and actress to make some movies..

but gotta to remmy we are in small deaf world.. Hearing world beat us.

CoolieFroggie said:
once again,
Interpreters, captions, are expensive...

It's will be SUPER nice to have deaf actors and actress to make some movies..

but gotta to remmy we are in small deaf world.. Hearing world beat us.
Yep, even the deaf movies created here are required to be captioned... as requested by faculty/staff. Heh!

Go to Silent movies,,,Silent Movies are Perfect for the deaf.I just watched a old western was dated back in 1919. I enjoyed it

Hmm, yeah the deaf world isn't that big, but we aren't THAT small either... I am hoh and I never really learned sign that well growing up so I am working on it now. I thought it would be cool and very helpful to have movies in sign with closed caption, that way I could pick up signs by watching movies.... I think a lot of hearing people would think something like this would be really cool as well for a learning tool.

Aber said:
Hmm, yeah the deaf world isn't that big, but we aren't THAT small either... I am hoh and I never really learned sign that well growing up so I am working on it now. I thought it would be cool and very helpful to have movies in sign with closed caption, that way I could pick up signs by watching movies.... I think a lot of hearing people would think something like this would be really cool as well for a learning tool.

So you're learning ASL? Cool. The website whose link I posted in my previous comment also include hundreds of videos and DVD's of ASL stories and lessons for the beginners as well. (And they are all for free to borrow for a couple of weeks, in case you are wondering.)

Deaf and Hoh population of United States

I figured out that there is around 300,000 thousand deaf and hoh people that live in United States. So we are not that small! Too bad so many deaf and hoh people don't realize how many of us they are...

This number is the number of people BORN with hearing loss. Thanks for Toonices for telling me about that website, I will check it out!

I estimate there is around 6.5 million people in the world today that were born with hearing loss.

They have movies entirely in sign??!?!?!?!?! WHAT?! Since when was this? I want to see I want to see!

OK.. this is interesting. I mean i have seen TV shown in sign (CSI and ER and I think Law & Order) but a movie.. that is really cool!! Please tell me more!

i remmy when i was in college, i saw all deaf ppl played in silent black and white movie(1970's). it was about 2 deaf investigators hunting deaf vampires. i dont remmy that name of movie. do you know the name of that movie ? it was cute movie.

deafclimber said:
i remmy when i was in college, i saw all deaf ppl played in silent black and white movie(1970's). it was about 2 deaf investigators hunting deaf vampires. i dont remmy that name of movie. do you know the name of that movie ? it was cute movie.

Eric, it was filmed here by local folks. One of the actors is my friend. I forgot the name of the title. They did a showing of that a year ago or two. It was hilarious!

Also, Aber, there is another film (sheesh, my memory is low today) by Richard Dreyfuss, a Music teacher with a deaf son. It was also filmed here so thats how I remember the film but can't remember the title, either.

Meg said:
Eric, it was filmed here by local folks. One of the actors is my friend. I forgot the name of the title. They did a showing of that a year ago or two. It was hilarious!

AW That is sweet... yea it was funny. did u see the investigator typing tty in car ? it was funny.

deafclimber said:

Could it be "Deafcula"?

Meg said:
Also, Aber, there is another film (sheesh, my memory is low today) by Richard Dreyfuss, a Music teacher with a deaf son. It was also filmed here so thats how I remember the film but can't remember the title, either.

Ah, yes. "Mr. Holland's Opus". I have the DVD! :D

Back