Sign Language

Claire Menzies

Reaction score
:deaf:I am sick and tired of seeing Deaf Children, and Adults wearing cochlear Implants, hearing parents stop taking away what is rightfully there's the Deaf World, the right for them to sign...

Sign Language is recognised language, it's a beautiful language.

Hearing Parents of Deaf Children are destroying the Deaf World!

The next person that approaches me saying "I wish I could sign" I shall scream. Well go and learn, stop pussy footing about.

I am very proud to be apart of the Deaf World. :deaf:

Friendly reminder: that there are some hearing parents do support sign languages as well.

It is all about some of hearing people whose who are having difficult time to accept for who the deaf people are. that's where there is the problem.

Nice. That was lovely and disrespectful....:shock:

As a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI thanks for the warm and fuzzy feeling. I had no idea I was successfully destroying the world :hmm:

By the way, my daughter's first and native language is ASL. Stop judging, you don't know me, my child, or anyone elses. In my experience MOST families teach their children with CI's some sign, and understand that ASL is a full and real language.

How would you feel if a CI user wrote a post that said:

"I wish that every Deaf person would get a CI. I am so sick of interpreters and ASL. Don't they know that 99.9% of the world doesn't know ASL?? They should learn to listen and speak because they are using my tax money on interpreters and SSDI, and it is ruining the world!"

That would be equally as offensive, and totally rude and uncalled for.

Nice. That was lovely and disrespectful....:shock:

As a hearing parent of a Deaf child with a CI thanks for the warm and fuzzy feeling. I had no idea I was successfully destroying the world :hmm:

By the way, my daughter's first and native language is ASL. Stop judging, you don't know me, my child, or anyone elses. In my experience MOST families teach their children with CI's some sign, and understand that ASL is a full and real language.

How would you feel if a CI user wrote a post that said:

"I wish that every Deaf person would get a CI. I am so sick of interpreters and ASL. Don't they know that 99.9% of the world doesn't know ASL?? They should learn to listen and speak because they are using my tax money on interpreters and SSDI, and it is ruining the world!"

That would be equally as offensive, and totally rude and uncalled for.

I feel that there is no necessary to snap at the OP. Obviously there was something going on with the OP in the past, not you. That would be nice if you could have said something nicer by telling OP such as "that is not true " and explains all like you have experiences with your child.

I feel that there is no necessary to snap at the OP. Obviously there was something going on with the OP in the past, not you. That would be nice if you could have said something nicer by telling OP such as "that is not true " and explains all like you have experiences with your child.

So I should be nice when I am told that I am destroying the world for my child? No, that's crap. If the Deaf community wants to continue to coddle this kid of hate, go ahead, but I sure as heck won't.

So I should be nice when I am told that I am destroying the world for my child? No, that's crap. If the Deaf community wants to continue to coddle this kid of hate, go ahead, but I sure as heck won't.

:naughty:

OP only states in the general about the hearing parents of deaf kids with ci who took kids with ci users away from learning how to sign to talk or deaf culture. Nothing else. i know you do sign with your own kids therefore Op's thread isn't about you, just speak of general common knowledges.

OP only states in the general about the hearing parents of deaf kids with ci who took kids with ci users away from learning how to sign to talk or deaf culture. Nothing else. i know you do sign with your own kids therefore Op's thread isn't about you, just speak of general common knowledges.

No.

Number one, she says "Hearing parents of Deaf children are destroying the Deaf world" How do I NOT take that personally? That is directed at me, my husband and ALL hearing parents. She didn't say some, or oral only. She chose to paint us all.

Number two, she said that we are "taking away what is rightfully theirs. They right to sign". Well, actually, a lot of parents are NOT doing that. (And I won't get into the whole whose child is a deaf child deabate, but that is also a huge deal)

Number three, I don't give a rat's a$$ if she's "sick of seeing kids and adults with CI's" my kid has one and it is a wonderful benefit in her life, so if you don't want to see it, stay at home. She has the same right to be in the world, even the Deaf world, as you do.

Claire Menzies said:
The next person that approaches me saying "I wish I could sign" I shall scream. Well go and learn, stop pussy footing about.

90% of people who say "I wish I could sign" are just saying it cause they think it's what you want to hear and will make you feel better. Or they want to but it's just some fun cute thing to them, not a real language.

Don't believe me? Offer to teach them sign language and see how many get back to you about it. And for those that do, see how many stick with it after a few lessons.

:rofl:

Claire_Menzies said:
am sick and tired of seeing Deaf Children, and Adults wearing cochlear Implants, hearing parents stop taking away what is rightfully there's the Deaf World, the right for them to sign...

You can wear a CI and still be part of the Deaf world.

No.

Number one, she says "Hearing parents of Deaf children are destroying the Deaf world" How do I NOT take that personally? That is directed at me, my husband and ALL hearing parents. She didn't say some, or oral only. She chose to paint us all.

Number two, she said that we are "taking away what is rightfully theirs. They right to sign". Well, actually, a lot of parents are NOT doing that. (And I won't get into the whole whose child is a deaf child deabate, but that is also a huge deal)

Number three, I don't give a rat's a$$ if she's "sick of seeing kids and adults with CI's" my kid has one and it is a wonderful benefit in her life, so if you don't want to see it, stay at home. She has the same right to be in the world, even the Deaf world, as you do.

I feel you about the words that are too powerful for you. You could have let it go or tell the OP " no that is not true". either that way instead of attacking the OP for wording that offends you especially.

what do you think why lots of hearing people keeps telling me that i should speak or should wear a CI and did i ever tell them "F$!$ Off", no. I usually educate them with my F*&^ing courtesy over and over and over for f&*%ing 40 years. Some of them do apologizes or some of them just woke up and walk out on me. So can you do the same thing if Deaf people who had been through the difficult time in their lives and tell them with your courtesy by edcating them too. :dunno2:

You can wear a CI and still be part of the Deaf world.

Oh yes! as long as they do sign then they would know and in their inner self esteem would boost and be proud for who they are in the Deaf culture.

I feel you about the words that are too powerful for you. You could have let it go or tell the OP " no that is not true". either that way instead of attacking the OP for wording that offends you especially.

what do you think why lots of hearing people keeps telling me that i should speak or should wear a CI and did i ever tell them "F$!$ Off", no. I usually educate them with my F*&^ing courtesy over and over and over for f&*%ing 40 years. Some of them do apologizes or some of them just woke up and walk out on me. So can you do the same thing if Deaf people who had been through the hell in their lives and tell them with your courtesy by edcating them too. :dunno2:

If someone tells my child that she should speak instead of sign I hope she tells them to pull their head out of their ass and shut up.

If someone tells my child that she should speak instead of sign I hope she tells them to pull their head out of their ass and shut up.

People make ignorant comments about deafness, blindness, all kinds of disabilities all the time. The only way to get them not to be ignorant is to educate them. If you just insult them back (and I know it's tempting cause lots of times they're insulting you) no one learns anything. So if you put your emotions aside and lay out facts, it benefits everyone more in the long run.

Back