Votes: 22 44.9%
  • PSE

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • SEE/MCE

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • None, just oral communication

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
I use LSE (Lengua de Signos Española -> Spanish Sign Language) :)

I don't know ASL, I want learn it :whistle: ,

but I never trip to USA... and I hope know NY

Regards

GoBack said:
I use LSE (Lengua de Signos Española -> Spanish Sign Language) :)

I don't know ASL, I want learn it :whistle: ,

but I never trip to USA... and I hope know NY

Regards

I have seen LSE...when I went to Gally for a college bound summer program, and there was a girl from Spain (Elena) in my group. Interesting.

Around here it/s ASL and MSL. (Mexican Sign Language).

I voted for some ASL and some PSE. I do most ASL and bit of PSE when I chat with deafies. Also, I do SEE when I talk to my hearing co-workers and friends.

I use ASL and PSE. Maybe I should turn it around. I learned pse first. Now learning ASL want to be able to get pure but know it will probably take me a few years. But I have learned alot the last 6 months I've been learning ASL it isn't that difficult at all although it is very detailed and intricate. :) Robbielyn

Can I say, as a newb, I'm confused by everybody's responses? They are all over the map. So please allow me to ask a "dumb" question...

As a newb knowing the alphabet and a few signed words, how is best to proceed?

I have read where ASL is a language in its own due to syntax and grammar rules. I have read where SE/SEE is an "insult" to the deaf culture, PSE and MCE I don't know anything about.

Based on the poll results, I gather that pure ASL is preferred but should I start by learning something "easier" like SEE or is that the wrong approach.

TIA for helping me out on this! Dave

Just like spanish is the mexicans or cubans in this country's native language, ASL is deaf people's native language. ASL is the preferred, due to the fact this is the deaf from birth's language. But most deaf understand not only asl but also PSE and some know SEE. The fact you are learning sign is wonderful. As far as where you start, that depends on the resources open to you. If you can take the time, and money to take an asl class then by all means do that. Or you can order dvd's and video tapes. But the best way is for you to get involved in the deaf community and learn asl which is the best way to learn pure asl. But if none of that is available to you and you have a book, then learn pse. SEE is used primarily in schools to teach deaf english. If I am not mistaken, the majority of deaf sign ASL so I encourage you to learn that if at all possible. It's a beautiful language. PSE is a happy medium because you can learn that from a book. PSE are ASL sign concepts but in english grammatical order. Many deaf understand and use PSE. But truly if you can learn ASL I encourage you to learn it. Start with an ASL dictionary you can get at aslpro.com or start learning asl online free at www.lifeprint.com. He is a professor who teaches at a university but has free online classes with animation for the signs. It is real good plus lots of vocabulary. My main point is to keep learning! :) ps. Learning pse maybe a stepping stone to learning asl as far as getting the vocabulary down first, then learn asl grammar. Or just dive into asl and learn to think in concepts. It is up to you. Enjoy! Please don't learn SEE. If easier is what you want, learn PSE. And if you look at the polls, ASL and PSE the majority here uses. You are in a win win situation if you learn both. Some are pure asl and some are not. But few use SEE eventhough many learned it in school, it isn't used in everyday conversations among the deaf. It's a secondary language to them. I say pse is easier because you can learn asl vocabulary without worrying about the asl grammar and syntax. However, asl is far more beautiful so again your choice.

Can I say, as a newb, I'm confused by everybody's responses? They are all over the map. So please allow me to ask a "dumb" question...

As a newb knowing the alphabet and a few signed words, how is best to proceed?

I have read where ASL is a language in its own due to syntax and grammar rules. I have read where SE/SEE is an "insult" to the deaf culture, PSE and MCE I don't know anything about.

Based on the poll results, I gather that pure ASL is preferred but should I start by learning something "easier" like SEE or is that the wrong approach.

TIA for helping me out on this! Dave
If you learn sign English first, it will be more difficult for you to "switch" to ASL later. For hearing people, it's better to learn ASL first. It's a little more difficult than SEE at first but it will be better for you in the long run. Otherwise, you will have to "unlearn" the signed English when you take up ASL, and it will be a more frustrating transition.

I know many hearing people who started with SEE or PSE, then took ASL after, and they all cried, "I wish that I had taken ASL first!"

That being said, it also depends on what will best meet your individual needs. It depends on with whom and in what situations you'll use sign language. If signing on the SEE to PSE continuum will meet your personal needs, then you might not want to study ASL. On the other hand, people who want to become interpreters or teachers of the Deaf, or become deeply involved with the Deaf community, then ASL first is preferable.

Do you have opportunities to meet ASL signers?

Last edited:
The ASL is good

I wish I love skills become professional learn how practice? I understand how grammar english second and American sign Language are difficult to idiolit is means words. I know someone frustrated to communicate to someone want to love and chat to somone want to socialize to chat to people. I think so better set up new program is Saskatoon call Team American Sign Language.

do you want to involves become professional research discuss to lots of share information, I think so better more try understand and communicate to people.

Don't worry about to scared or not mistake but That is okay.

I will set new group support to for school in Saskatoon mainstreaming is deaf and hard hearing . . . . . What is you like going to Canada by Saskatoon is pretty.

Do you have opportunities to meet ASL signers?
The simple answer is yes and from what I've read, I believe that I'm better off laying the foundation with ASL. I don't want to start with something that I will need to unlearn in the future. I also don't want to develop any shortcuts or bad habits with signing. As my hearing dimenishes, I will be relying on ASL for my life.

And from what I already know about ASL, I think "smithtr" spoke with perfection. ;)

Dave

That is pretty draw cool WOW. I am glad of friends more respect to people. I like positive and I want to work hard try focus stand up better change clean my work I want to handle on Saskatchewan and Saskatoon. I want to change handle better focus on clean up on the people dirty in work, Just I am not interested to about to Saskatoon is poor. I know :) DOn't believe you don't know what is technology new programs.

I use oral communication, but I do use old english sign language (English Sign Languages).

Back