sign language posters as gentle reminders for hearing housemates

inmate23

Reaction score
Hi

Today my posters arrived.I brought them to learn signs for stuff around the house.But I think they will also be gentle reminder I cant hear

Hi

Today my posters arrived.I brought them to learn signs for stuff around the house.But I think they will also be gentle reminder I cant hear

Hi inmate23!

Can you show a pic of one of your posters? Seems like a great idea, not just for housemates, but visitors, too!

That's how I learned to read English as a small child. English words with a picture of the object.
No signs, but the principle should still work the same.

That's how I learned to read English as a small child. English words with a picture of the object.
When my kids were little, I put post-its on objects with the word so they could learn that way.
I should look into the signs inmate23 got...I could use help learning my ASL (especially since I've been slacking since my last class <shame on me>)

Hi inmate23!

Can you show a pic of one of your posters? Seems like a great idea, not just for housemates, but visitors, too!

Too right im thinking about making deafblind(culturally) garden sign for the gate too

Bathroom Poster Cat. #410

my parents(who are visitors) are crap about following the rules (this is disableist house)

For kids who are partaking in r18 conversions (2 years+) im going to buy some of these i keep well stocked cheap art supply box and more expense one

Animals Posters Cat. #412

im planning to do tactile communication cards as room labelers
thats another thread

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xMKVg0_5dA]YouTube - Tactile Communication Cards For Deaf Blind[/ame]

When my kids were little, I put post-its on objects with the word so they could learn that way.
I should look into the signs inmate23 got...I could use help learning my ASL (especially since I've been slacking since my last class <shame on me>)

sorry nzsl

Those posters are great, I wonder if I can find some here for our house?

For those looking for ASL posters for home/school/daycare etc two great (reputable) online stores are:

ADCO Hearing & Harris Communications

For any Posters that do not come laminated, keep in mind that most (if not all) large copy centres (Staples, Kinkos, etc) should be able to laminate even large posters for a very very reasonable price. You could also see if your child's school would be willing to laminate them for you for a small donation to cover the laminating material cost - some schools will do this as long as you aren't in a hurry etc.

What a wonderful thing!!! Such a pity they are only in ASL and not italian sign language...
Would help a LOT especially for us, hearing hardheaded parents who are sooooo slow in learning signs!!! :roll:

What a wonderful thing!!! Such a pity they are only in ASL and not italian sign language...
Would help a LOT especially for us, hearing hardheaded parents who are sooooo slow in learning signs!!! :roll:
google is ur friend

Hm, I doubt anything in italian does even exist...
But I could make up some by myself, and then sell 'em :naughty:

:ty: for posting those links Anij! I love the caterpillar sign in the first link, kind of Alice in Wonderland-ish. I have a 4 year old who needs help with her alphabet that would love it.

Yeah, my son, too. And I took those flashcards with the pic and the word, photocopied pics from a sign language dictionary, and pasted it onto the flashcard. We had flashcards stuck on everything, lol. Helped both of us in the beginning of learning ASL vocab, and he had developed the connection of symbology in language by about age 4.

Yeah, my son, too. And I took those flashcards with the pic and the word, photocopied pics from a sign language dictionary, and pasted it onto the flashcard. We had flashcards stuck on everything, lol. Helped both of us in the beginning of learning ASL vocab, and he had developed the connection of symbology in language by about age 4.

Seems to me to be a good method. It's one of the things I give my parents lots of credit for. They were very persistent.

Seems to me to be a good method. It's one of the things I give my parents lots of credit for. They were very persistent.

I just kind of went with my instincts when I did it. I have since been told by educational psychologists that it was a great thing to do. Guess I lucked up on that one!:P

That's exactly how I learned to read.

Hi Messymama, Where abouts are you? My parents lives right on the border of Austria and Italy so I do go to italy for coffee everytime i visit my parents, in winter we go ski either in Aus or Ita, in the summer we go to Bibione beach/visit Venice etc. They live near Villach, Karnten, Austria.

i brought some of their booklets last week and they arrived today anyway i put the food ones up on the pantry door see picture

Attachments

• Image0137.jpg
    Image0137.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi Messymama, Where abouts are you? My parents lives right on the border of Austria and Italy so I do go to italy for coffee everytime i visit my parents, in winter we go ski either in Aus or Ita, in the summer we go to Bibione beach/visit Venice etc. They live near Villach, Karnten, Austria.

I'm in Trieste, really close to Austria. But for holidays we prefer Croatia... Still a bit cheaper than Austria :D

Back