Sign Language Games?

Megan8987

Reaction score
I'm sorry I have no idea where to put this question. I'm a Nanny to several kids ranging from 1yrs old to 12yrs old. I have only one 2yr old who has a speech delay, but other then that they are all hearing kids. Now, I'm trying to teach them ASL but getting frustrated by the lack of games or activities designed for kids...or adults even and have resulted in being creative and making up my own. I found a ASL bingo game, but several cant read yet. There are SO many spanish games out there it isnt even funny. So do you know a product, a game/activity to help me keep these kids interested in learning ASL? My 17mo old is up to 25 signs in 2mo time so he can learn fairly quickly

I'm sorry I have no idea where to put this question. I'm a Nanny to several kids ranging from 1yrs old to 12yrs old. I have only one 2yr old who has a speech delay, but other then that they are all hearing kids. Now, I'm trying to teach them ASL but getting frustrated by the lack of games or activities designed for kids...or adults even and have resulted in being creative and making up my own. I found a ASL bingo game, but several cant read yet. There are SO many spanish games out there it isnt even funny. So do you know a product, a game/activity to help me keep these kids interested in learning ASL? My 17mo old is up to 25 signs in 2mo time so he can learn fairly quickly

Hi Megan,
How about this site? Games & Flashcards I did a Google search for "deaf gifts flashcards games" and found several sites. You can also use a file folder to make your own board game. Use round stickers to make a path, decorate it with different sign pictures (look on Google images) & use the flash cards as game cards. Get some dice and if they roll and can guess the sign, they can move that number of spaces.

This is how I taught my kids to read (we homeschool) and I used the cards from The Phonics Game as game cards with our own file folder game boards. My kids loved it! I do have some printable game boards that you could just put on a file folder and use the ASL flash cards with here... Printable Games (look in the free games section)

Hope that helps!

what about guess what im signing. its a game kinda like charades but with asl. or speed fingerspelling and time them, who ever wins gets a prize. it may be a good idea to make up a game.....

You don't have to read to play BINGO. It can be pictures. You can create a bunch of cards with pictures on them such as apple, banana, orange, cat, dog, fish, bird, car, plane, house, sun, moon, etc...

You sign the word and they put a token on it. When they get 5 in a row, they raise their hand and try to fingerspell "BINGO" or just wave their hands signing 'B'. :)

There are a lot of things that you can do.

You can pick 5 words that they learn signs to and then watch a short animated movie. Whenever they see that word, they sign it. For instance, you can do "car", "plane", "boy", "pizza", and "doll". Then watch the movie Toy Story. There are plenty of each in there. :)

You don't have to read to play BINGO. It can be pictures. You can create a bunch of cards with pictures on them such as apple, banana, orange, cat, dog, fish, bird, car, plane, house, sun, moon, etc...

You sign the word and they put a token on it. When they get 5 in a row, they raise their hand and try to fingerspell "BINGO" or just wave their hands signing 'B'. :)

There are a lot of things that you can do.

You can pick 5 words that they learn signs to and then watch a short animated movie. Whenever they see that word, they sign it. For instance, you can do "car", "plane", "boy", "pizza", and "doll". Then watch the movie Toy Story. There are plenty of each in there. :)

Ooooh! I LOVE these ideas! My kids are now teens, but I might just make them play these games with me anyway. Ha ha ha!

Know the game of UNO?

Well, they just came out with a new version called UNO Moo! intended for preschoolers. However, I can see how it would be a great game to be applied to signing.

Instead of cards that are colored and numbers, you have little eggs/orbs that are colored and different farm animals. They may have tiny bumps that are part of the animal they are, but look more like eggs. What's obviously different are the faces that are different animals. So, you play the game like you would play UNO... match the colors or match the animals. :)

Suppose player one plays a red cow, he would sign "red cow". The next player plays a red cat and signs "red cat". Etc...

Know the game of UNO?

Well, they just came out with a new version called UNO Moo! intended for preschoolers. However, I can see how it would be a great game to be applied to signing.

Instead of cards that are colored and numbers, you have little eggs/orbs that are colored and different farm animals. They may have tiny bumps that are part of the animal they are, but look more like eggs. What's obviously different are the faces that are different animals. So, you play the game like you would play UNO... match the colors or match the animals. :)

Suppose player one plays a red cow, he would sign "red cow". The next player plays a red cat and signs "red cat". Etc...
Here are a a couple pictures. :)

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/droolicious/2009/02/unomoo.jpg

http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/images/product/moobig.jpg

Excellent ideas guys thanks! I may have the older kids help me design the board game. Its just a shame they dont have as many games like the do spanish. But its an excuse to show off my mad stick figure drawings :D

Back