Sign in if you're proud to be Deaf

erm...

if i made a "sign if you're proud to not be deaf" thread, would that be out of the question?

:dunno2:

IN!!!

219089505_0594088ac1.jpg

:)

Hence, I think being deaf is a completely different concept to the experiences arising from being deaf. Its like asking quadriplegic people if they are proud of being such. I think many people would argue that Christopher Reeve inspired us all with his tenacity, courage and strength after being wheelchair bound, and those dreadful experiences made him into the person we all admired. However, it is foolish to assume that he was proud of being in a wheelchair, rather he would have being proud of who he became as a result.

Rather the issue here is- are people actually proud of being disabled (that being deafness here, obviously), OR are they proud of the experiences and insights they have gained from being deaf? On the other hand, its definitely possible to be proud of both....

Being both Deaf and quadriplegic, I'm not sure I can separate out the fact that I am deaf from my experiences as a Deaf person. Likewise, being quadriplegic is fundamental to having the experiences of one in a wheelchair. I don't see myself as courageous or tenacious (though my friends may disagree) because of my quadriplegia. I see myself as someone dealt a hand who now must choose to sit back and watch the game play out on the sidelines, or play those cards to the best of my ability. I'm proud of who I am, mostly about being a physician. That's something I achieved and can be proud of. But who I am is Deaf, quad, good friend, daughter, dog owner, rabid reader, blue eyed, and so forth., many of which I cannot choose or change.

btw, politically correct terminology is wheelchair user, or wheelchair enabled, or non-ambulatory. My wheelchair sets me free, I am in no way "bound" into it. :giggle: The last thing I want to be is an "inspiration" or role (roll?) model.

Oh I am elated to be deaf, so much that I literally tell people, hey did you know I'm deaf? I love to watch their shocked faces...and sometimes, that makes your day!

But, Oh, I am so in...So proud to be deaf!

Being both Deaf and quadriplegic, I'm not sure I can separate out the fact that I am deaf from my experiences as a Deaf person. Likewise, being quadriplegic is fundamental to having the experiences of one in a wheelchair. I don't see myself as courageous or tenacious (though my friends may disagree) because of my quadriplegia. I see myself as someone dealt a hand who now must choose to sit back and watch the game play out on the sidelines, or play those cards to the best of my ability. I'm proud of who I am, mostly about being a physician. That's something I achieved and can be proud of. But who I am is Deaf, quad, good friend, daughter, dog owner, rabid reader, blue eyed, and so forth., many of which I cannot choose or change.

btw, politically correct terminology is wheelchair user, or wheelchair enabled, or non-ambulatory. My wheelchair sets me free, I am in no way "bound" into it. :giggle: The last thing I want to be is an "inspiration" or role (roll?) model.

:laugh2: @ the bolded.

Ahh, but your confidence and acceptance makes you a role model by default. And an excellent one at that, I might add.

I am very proud to be Deaf. I do not like to wear hearing aid or CI but sometimes I would like to hear environment sounds is all. But being without sounds is great and I don't like the hearing people complain that we should have oral method or speak well with almost no deaf accent. Lipreading is suck but some Deaf people can read lips better than me. I also love to sign very much, so why is the hearing people make a big fuss over it? It is who we are made to be as a Deaf person if that is what God want us to be. No one is perfect anyway, even to hearing people. :roll:

Let's just say I am proud of my efforts to deal with my hearing loss. Aside from those in AD, I have never met another deaf person and always grew up in the hearing world - a big reason I decided to obtain a CI. So, NO I'm not happy just being deaf, since it is not an advantage in my life in the hearing world (Most hearies don't know a shred of ASL). Being both deaf (not wearing CI, no interaction) and CI assisted hearing (wear when interacting) is what I'm comfortable and proud of.

Back