sign for "sex"

Daft

Reaction score
I've always signed "sex" with an X-handshape tapping the check twice.

Recently met two people and they used the sign I've always known as "f-ck" (two V-handshapes hitting together) for the word "sex". I was totally shocked. They told me the minister at their church uses this sign in church and during sermons. I was totally shocked. They said they've always used the f-sign for "sex" - and one of the people was an elderly woman.

I've mentioned this to other deaf people and they usually have the same reaction as I did. Honestly, I could never use that sign for the word "sex".

Or is it more common than I think?.....

The V shaped hands bumping is what we were showed in ASL class for sex....Nice going Teach !

I was taught it was x letter sign going from temple of head to cheek.

My college counselor told while she was going to Gallaudet she went to church and that minster was very boring and she would fall asleep . There was an interpreter signing and one day my counselor notice the interpreter
kept signing the sign for 'f**k and she woke up the see what else the minster was saying. It turned out the minster was saying 'together' and the interpreter was using the wrong sign. LOL!

You need to clarify which definition or concept of the word "sex" you are referring to in each case.

1. The noun "sex" can refer to male and female, like the boxes one checks on a form. Example: "What sex is the puppy that's for sale?" That would be X-hand down the side of the face sign.

2. The other meaning is for sexual intercourse. Example: "They were having sex behind the barn." (It's not standard English but it's commonly used that way.) That would be the two V-hands sign.

3. Often when used in formal settings "sex" is spelled out. Example: "The legislature was debating new uses of the sex offenders registry."

4. When "sex" is used as a modifier, it's usually the X-hand on face sign. Example: "The movie was rated X because of the sexual content."

Different signs for different concepts. Just like all the signs for RUN--they aren't interchangeable. The English word might be the same but the meanings are different.

Back