sign for Deaf vs deaf?

marcyp06

Reaction score
At the moment I will sign "cultural deaf" for Deaf. Friend of mine signs "big d deaf". Is there a proper sign for Deaf that is different from deaf?

do the normal deaf sign, but while you're at it, drag it out to where your index finger is about 2 feet away from the face and go back to the ear.

Exaggerated mouth morpheme does the trick.

At the moment I will sign "cultural deaf" for Deaf. Friend of mine signs "big d deaf". Is there a proper sign for Deaf that is different from deaf?

proper simply "deaf" that is why proper

According to Elaine Costello's book-Signing: how to speak with your hands-Bantam Books,1983 there are 2 separate signs for deaf; !) touch first the mouth and then back to the ear with extended index finger, palm left. Hint: the mouth and ear are closed.
2) Bring the right extended index finger from touching the ear, palm left,down into a "b" hand to meet the left "b" hand in front of the chest, both palms down-Together. Hint:shows the ears are closed. Page 145.

Implant-Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07.

Gee that is interesting- "posts from hell" to the hypothesis the "sign language" has been around for "thousands of years"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Wirelessly posted

drphil said:
Gee that is interesting- "posts from hell" to the hypothesis the "sign language" has been around for "thousands of years"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I doubt anyone says "gay" meaning "happy" anymore in English.

Languages evolve.

Wirelessly posted

I doubt anyone says "gay" meaning "happy" anymore in English.

Languages evolve.

So why does not ASL?
Now there is a sign for "facebook", very recently.
There is not a sign for "Toyota", been around for years.
Why is that?

So why does not ASL?
Why is that?

Why is the English language not consistent with the rules?

Clearly a few words have different "meaning" than thousands of years ago re spoken/written. English, French, Greek, Latin. Hebrew. Chinese whatever. Today we couldn't understand if all words had different meanings than in the long past. Does that apply to "sign language"?
"Posts from hell" from Gallaudet Survival Guide in Signing-revised edition uses BOTH signs for the word "deaf". pages 42/43 3rd printing 1993 Gallaudet University Press Washington D C. I guess your observations hasn't surfaced at Gallaudet yet. I know- supposed I can't read!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

1993 :)

And i am more than sure if i went to gallaudet and conducted an interview with all the students there.... The #2 will be very low on the usage list.
it's an old way of saying the word.

Language evolves - and in ASL it evolves FAST. But oh of course... you have all the book smarts and yet have never dipped a foot in the ASL world. Comical.

So why does not ASL?
Why is that?
Yes, there is a sign for Toyota.

Clearly a few words have different "meaning" than thousands of years ago re spoken/written. English, French, Greek, Latin. Hebrew. Chinese whatever. Today we couldn't understand if all words had different meanings than in the long past. Does that apply to "sign language"?
Since ASL is a language, yes, it does change over time.

New signs are added, and older signs change.

Fast-changing technology sometimes gets ahead of languages but they eventually catch up.

An example of how the formation of older signs can change is the sign HELP. It used to be the dominant hand lifted the non-dominant elbow; now it lifts the A-shape fist.

Also, TELEPHONE used to be two-handed, using two S-hands, one hand at the ear, and one at the mouth. Since the telephone itself has changed shape and function, the iconic sign has also changed.

So? English has changed over time, too. Who calls their refrigerator an ice box now?

"Posts from hell" from Gallaudet Survival Guide in Signing-revised edition uses BOTH signs for the word "deaf". pages 42/43 3rd printing 1993 Gallaudet University Press Washington D C. I guess your observations hasn't surfaced at Gallaudet yet. I know- supposed I can't read!
In the realm of dictionaries and text books, 1993 is still old.

Yes, both signs are still around because the older people who used the older sign are still kicking. It's also good to be aware of older signs. However, that doesn't mean they are both in common use by today's generation.

Anyway, that doesn't address the original question about "deaf" and "Deaf."

really? what is it?
Two Y-hands, palms facing outward.

Cross both arms below the wrists.

Sweep both arms apart to the sides.

(Picture the Toyota logo.)

Fast-changing technology sometimes gets ahead of languages but they eventually catch up.

Indeed! I see the same thing, I sign NGT, so I cannot sign ALS, but I see more and more that when we have visitors from the States or when I see it on television that signs are becoming alike, signs like computer, facebook, telephone are becoming the same in both sign languages where before I could not make sense of anyone signing ALS.

Trudy

Two Y-hands, palms facing outward.

Cross both arms below the wrists.

Sweep both arms apart to the sides.

(Picture the Toyota logo.)

Didn't know that! I was still fingerspelling.:ty:

Back