sign for bubbles??

Munchkinsdad

Reaction score
I am a little frustrated with this...
I am trying to describe this little story in ASL:

A father and son playing together and the father blows bubbles for his son to chase and try to catch. the son is fascinated with the bubbles and all the colors that the sunlight catches, but he soon gets angry because every time he tries to touch them they disappear.
I have have tried 3 different times to do this in ASL but no one understands it!
Is there a sign for blowing bubbles? or is it possible one of you here could make up a little video of yourself describing that situation and posting it somewhere for me to check out?
I know it sounds dumb but I am still taking baby steps in this language.
Thanks for your help!

then sorry, I can't help - I am an australian, wish I'd help! :aw:

I looked it up what she signed...that's not what I sign for bubbles

It's hard to explain how to explain to you. But I hope other ADers can help you somehow.

Hand Speak Sign you have to sign up (that's odd)

I am a little frustrated with this...
I am trying to describe this little story in ASL:

A father and son playing together and the father blows bubbles for his son to chase and try to catch. the son is fascinated with the bubbles and all the colors that the sunlight catches, but he soon gets angry because every time he tries to touch them they disappear.
I have have tried 3 different times to do this in ASL but no one understands it!
Is there a sign for blowing bubbles? or is it possible one of you here could make up a little video of yourself describing that situation and posting it somewhere for me to check out?
I know it sounds dumb but I am still taking baby steps in this language.
Thanks for your help!

In this context I'd suggest miming the word bubbles:
non-dominant hand shows a cup, the dominant hand holding an imaginary plastic bubble maker ... you dip the imagery bubble maker into the "cup" then pull it out and pretend to blow the bubble at your mouth. At this time you bring your non dominant hand (that which was the cup) up to your mouth and describe the bubbles that way. If it's one big bubble use both hands, it it's a series of little bubbles, keep your dominant hand in the "bubble blowing position" you've established, and let your non-dominant hand make a series of little bubble using your thumb and index finger to form a circle which floats away from you,then start with the next bubble that does the same action.
Showing the bubbles in this way also allows you to "hold a bubble" in order to add colour to it, and show the boy trying to chase ans touch it easier, it also allows you to "pop" the bubbles at will by flicking open your index and thumb ;)

I hope that's clear ?? I'm sure others will have different suggestions, but that's what I'd do in the context you're talking about ... HTH

I make the O shape with both hands palms out and close and open them repeatedly while moving the hands up.

I make the O shape with both hands palms out and close and open them repeatedly while moving the hands up.

This sounds like the sign I use. I alternate my hands .. when one "bubble" is "popped" the other is not :lol: hope I'm not confusing

Back