*sighs* Young Girl attacked by pitbull

It is cruel to put a dog on the chain or leave it in the garage 24/7. If the family does not want to keep a dog inside, the best option is get rid of the dog, period or get a fence. It is inhumane to keep a dog like that. I do not care how much the family love the dog, because they can not keep it inside. Dogs are pack animals and they like to socialize with their family.

I also consider it as cruel to rid of the dog, too.

You should think twice before own the dog... First search cons and pros before own the dog...

You have to take the dog for a walk 3 or more times a day for business...
You have to pick dog's business up...
You have the dog to shot every year which is expensive.
Dog insurances and taxes...
The dog foods are expensive..
Who will watch the dog when we are away for holiday? Would my neighbor do for me? Nope...
Damage my garden...
Accord Animal cruelty law - the dog are not allow to leave alone without owner's supersivon...
and more list...
that's why I decide to have cats instead.

What does that supposed to mean? It seems to me you got an issue with Pacman, I came to noticed that in several threads already, Pacman is entitle to his opinion as much as everyone else here. ;)

I don't appreciate on one of her post for called me a naive.

There's number one is... It's owner's responsible to taking care of pets or they will screwed up.

For my aunt, we own 2 cats and stay indoor for all day but we did let them go outside sometime.

I also consider it as cruel to rid of the dog, too.

You should think twice before own the dog... First search cons and pros before own the dog...

You have to take the dog for a walk 3 or more times a day for business...
You have to pick dog's business up...
You have the dog to shot every year which is expensive.
Dog insurances and taxes...
The dog foods are expensive..
Who will watch the dog when we are away for holiday? Would my neighbor do for me? Nope...
Damage my garden...
Accord Animal cruelty law - the dog are not allow to leave alone without owner's supersivon...
and more list...
that's why I decide to have cats instead.

Same here, I rather to own cat over dog, that best pet for me.

If people aren't wish to let dogs in their house then they need get fence, also depends on acres of backyard, the new fence can be cost around more than $1,000 and there's person will install for them. I rather to have wood fence instead of shitty metal gate because it make house looks more worth.
lattice_top_300.jpg

Yep, its better to keep ALL dogs indoor, no matter how big or small they are. It's too dangerous to stay outside all day 24/7.

I agree with Angel a four years old kid has no business going outside by herself.

What's your responsible if dogs are start attack at home? It's too hard for them to learn their lesson.

Spanking isn't good, it make looks like abuse but scold can be work on some part.

But what about take dog for a walk to fresh air?

Anyway, I'm glad that a girl is okay and survived... *phew*

This family is kinda weird, if they have good condition of gate then need throw chain in trash and let dog to run so freely in backyard.

It's not right to leave dogs in freeze weather but... no choice and need stay indoor until freeze is gone.

A wood fence is not going to make the dogs stay on the property, they can dig their way out from underneath the wood fence. I've seen it happened before, dogs need to be supervisor when outside roaming in their backyard with a fence or a kennel to hold the dog outside for a little while and then bring the dogs back inside, there's no reason however so to leave dogs outside a long period of time. ;)

A wood fence is not going to make the dogs stay on the property, they can dig their way out from underneath the wood fence. I've seen it happened before, dogs need to be supervisor when outside roaming in their backyard with a fence or a kennel to hold the dog outside for a little while and then bring the dogs back inside, there's no reason however so to leave dogs outside a long period of time. ;)

Oh well then no choice but rid of dogs aren't good to me, that can cause more depressed to get away from families.

I said that depends on type of dogs, some of them can beat out of fence or gate but gate can scratch their fur.

I got influenced from some families and friend.

Oh well then no choice but rid of dogs aren't good to me, that can cause more depressed to get away from families..

What are you saying? You rather to just leave the dogs outside fenced up and not having to be responsible in watching them? Your family brought the dog, and they are responsible for the dog's needs. If they don't want to get rid of it, then they better get off their lazy asses and watch the dog when the dog are outside on their yard. That's what I do, I'm a very responsible owner, I never leave my dog unattended outside alone. That's what responsible owners should be. Remember it's not about how "aww" the dogs are, It's comes with responsibly, just like bringing up a child. ;)

What are you saying? You rather to just leave the dogs outside fenced up and not having to be responsible in watching them? Your family brought the dog, and they are responsible for the dog's needs. If they don't want to get rid of it, then they better get off their lazy asses and watch the dog when the dog are outside on their yard. That's what I do, I'm a very responsible owner, I never leave my dog unattended outside alone. That's what responsible owners should be. Remember it's not about how "aww" the dogs are, It's comes with responsibly, just like bringing up a child. ;)

My parent did feed them everyday, also more water before left to work in morning.

I cannot start confront on their responsible and asked them why does want left dog outside then they want to be protected from crime, such as start rob at home or break in window then dog can get pissed off and bite them off then wouldn't bother their house. It was their personal about concern with crime, mostly are burglary.

They don't have pets since 2003 but considering to get one.

Oh please Pacman, stop making excuses for your parents, how can a dog prevent a home robbery if they're outdoor? Doesn't make no sense to me, if they were indoor and your family experience a home robbery that would make sense because the dogs can scare the suspects away, but not when they're outdoors. ;)

Oh please Pacman, stop making excuses for your parents, how can a dog prevent a home robbery if they're outdoor? Doesn't make no sense to me, if they were indoor and your family experience a home robbery that would make sense because the dogs can scare the suspects away, but not when they're outdoors. ;)

In long time ago, it does happen when I was 11 years old but I have no power on parent to take control of dogs but they did rather to call "outside dog" or something like that, also it does happened to other Americans but... they did let dog in house on sometime when weather is bad. I remember about long time ago about what they did that.

Do you think that my parent was bad owner?

It wasn't my fault when grew up with parent that how raise their dogs.

btw, their home had been robbed at few time, around last time in 1993 when broke in wood door.

This story was in my morning local paper:

Boy dies after being mauled by family dog

A 1 1/2-year-old boy mauled Monday in his home by a family dog died this morning in a local hospital.

The boy, who suffered wounds to his neck, trachea and spine, was pronounced dead at 2:26 a.m. today, Dorchester County Coroner Chris Nisbet said.

Deputies responded to a 911 call on Hunters Ridge Lane at 10:09 a.m. Monday.

The dog, a 2-year-old pit bull, was euthanized.

The Post and Courier, Charleston SC | Charleston.net | Stories

:(

I know that address. It's a townhouse with no private yards. I heard on the TV news that the dog was kept in the laundry room but got out and attacked the child. I don't know yet all the details.

Hope that helps some of you know why Cheri was upset about dogs roaming free in her neighborhood recently in another thread. The above (Reba's) COULD POSSIBLY have been Cheri's story.

Hope that helps some of you know why Cheri was upset about dogs roaming free in her neighborhood recently in another thread. The above (Reba's) COULD POSSIBLY have been Cheri's story.
Update on the story that I posted:

Brian Palmer, the toddler mauled Monday by his family’s pit bull, died Tuesday morning at Medical University Hospital, Dorchester County Coroner Chris Nisbet said.

Palmer, who would have turned 2 in August, died at 2:38 a.m. from massive cuts to his airway, Nisbet said. An autopsy was being performed Tuesday.

No adults were home Monday morning when the dog, shut inside a laundry room of a Hunters Ridge Lane townhouse, apparently got loose, authorities said. The dog was in an upstairs bedroom when it went for the boy’s throat, Dorchester County Sheriff’s Detective John Garrison said.

Nisbet said four children were in the townhouse at the time. The oldest was a 16-year-old, he said.

The 2-year-old dog was euthanized. The Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office said the dog had killed a family cat and attacked another dog within the last three weeks.

The sheriff’s office is investigating.
The Post and Courier, Charleston SC | Charleston.net | Stories

Today's update and details:

Dog's fatal attack on boy baffles family

BY NITA BIRMINGHAM
The Post and Courier

Brian Palmer was never afraid of Princess and even splashed around with the family pit bulldog Saturday in the small pool behind his mother's Hunters Ridge Lane townhouse.

Princess on occasion slept alongside the toddler's mom, Natasha Wilson. When the dog killed a cat a week ago, the family dismissed it as aggression toward other animals. They never thought the family pet would attack a human, much less a child.

On Monday, Princess got out of a utility room and started chasing a 16-year-old relative who is afraid of dogs. The teenager ran up the stairs and Princess tore after her. She struggled to close the bedroom door against the dog's weight, but lost the battle.

Before she could scoop up Brian and his young cousins and put them on the bed, the dog latched on to the 18-month-old boy's neck.

The other children frantically beat at the 60-pound dog, but it was a stranger who managed to pull Princess off Brian. EMS rushed the boy, nicknamed "Beenie," to the hospital, but the damage was so severe, his family doubted his chances for survival.

Brian died at 2:38 a.m. Tuesday at Medical University Hospital. Animal Control seized Princess, who was euthanized. The family began making funeral plans while they wondered why a dog that never showed aggression toward people would attack a child.

"We never thought it was the kind of dog that would attack a baby," Brian's cousin Cheron Gilchrist said. "Who is going to think that a dog that sleeps next to you in the same bed is going to attack your child?"

Gilchrist said she is no stranger to dogs because she's been a groomer about six years. She got Wilson into the business about a year ago. Gilchrist said they work six days a week, so Brian lived with his grandmother. People who know that they work with dogs often call them about strays in need of homes. That's how Wilson came to own Princess seven months ago, Gilchrist said.

Brian loved 2-year-old Princess as he loved all animals, Gilchrist said. He once tried to dip a betta fish out of the tank because it captured his attention.

Princess never showed aggression toward the family's other dog, a teacup Chihuahua named Elizabeth Taylor, but Gilchrist's cat Zoomba was attacked.

Princess' only other transgression seemed to be tearing up the house, a fault Gilchrist attributed to separation anxiety. To prevent more property damage, the family often secured Princess in the downstairs utility room, which is where she was supposed to be at 10 a.m. Monday. Wilson had gone to look into some rental housing, Gilchrist said, and left Brian and his cousins Kyasia Wilson-Green, 2, and Gabrielle Seabrook, 5, in the care of his teenage aunts, Marshawn Wilson, 13, and Sieshia Wilson, 16.

Gilchrist and Brian's aunt Ariana Wilson said they still don't know how Princess got out of the utility room or what made him chase Sieshia, who doesn't like dogs. It's possible the teenager running from the dog triggered hunter and predatory instincts, said professional dog trainer Mary L. Harwelik, who runs the Web site The REAL Pit Bull - Info Center | Advocacy & Rescue | Education | Blog.

"You're already dealing with an animal that had behavioral issues," as evidenced by damaging the house and killing the cat, said Dr. Gail Golab, associate director of animal welfare for the American Veterinary Medical Association.

The Dorchester County Sheriff's Office is investigating Brian's death.

This article was printed via the web on 4/25/2007 10:14:50 AM . This article appeared in The Post and Courier and updated online at Charleston.net.

Back