Siemens Nitro (on trial)

punkinbee59

Reaction score
I'm trying out the Siemens Nitro. (Started 4/26/14 a 30 day trial period)
http://www.alldeaf.com/2321136-post17.html (my original post)

Compression's not too bad, but it really softens some sounds that I used to hear with my analog. It still feels like I'm hearing things underwater. :roll:

As it's digital, is there some tweaking that can be done to knock out that 'breathy' sound (which compression is part of)?? I had some bass put into it, but I might put in more treble as I can't hear my kitty meow at me. Gotta figure how to create some sounds that I can tolerate. Not expecting it to be as close as analog, but it's what I'll have to make do for it to be tolerable. *sigh*

Which begs the next question: are digitals programmed the same or they programmed differently? For example: does Siemens and Phonak share the same programming protocols or are they completely different? Reason behind that question is if all digitals are programmed the same, it'd make sense to figure out how to 'map' it to fit the wearer's hearing need for good sound quality. Hence it goes back to my original request...is there a way to tweak Siemens to get the most 'oomph' out of this aid?

If I'm not making sense...let me know! LOL

Last edited:
how does Nitro compares to Sumo DM? <- hope they still make those...im furious at the twat trying to push me into Unitron, its junk....

how does Nitro compares to Sumo DM? <- hope they still make those...im furious at the twat trying to push me into Unitron, its junk....

you should see the new version of Nitro, it's completely awesome and the way the grey color stands out! (they also carry one for moderate-severe losses!!!)

I'm gonna wait and see if I can go for something like that if my hearing drops this year :) (overall, if good then Oticon or maybe new Naida it is)

To help this along, here's my audiogram results:

Freq L R
250 80 NR
500 90 NR
750 115 NR
1000 110 NR
1500 120 NR
2000 NR NR
3000 NR NR
4000 NR NR
6000 NR NR
8000 NR NR

Speech discrimination at MCL = 20%

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psd53d419b.jpg

After being a long time analog HA user, trying out digits is....trying. Volume's great...it's the sound quality that I have an issue (doesn't anyone?!)

here's what I'm hearing compared to the analog: not an AH sound, more of a close OO sound. (more like I've got a nasty congestion in my ear)
I hear vibratro when I hear a higher pitched sound.
I also hear something like a whoosh-y air sound when I hear a sound or when someone's talking. More like a microphone being rubbed with a cloth type of sound. (anyone remember wearing a body aid? THAT 'rubbing' sound)

I thought compression was to control the feedback...so why is compression used for SOUND? It messes up the quality that I missed from the analog.

Anything to help my audi to tweak this?
He'll have me try out the Resound Magna. (He's not impressed with Resound or Widex--complains that they are very heavy with compression)

Back