Siemens launches waterproof hearing aid

RoseRodent

Reaction score
Stay tuned to the world of hearing aids cos there is an audiology conference on at the moment, if new things are coming this is likely to be when they are coming. Anyway, Siemens has launched the Aquaris waterproof (submersible for up to 30 minutes in up to 1m of water) hearing aid

https://hearing.siemens.com/_resources-re/files/04-products/27-aquaris/Broch-Con_Aquaris_2011.pdf

Super interesting for anyone who likes to swim, surf, snowboard, sail, whatever it is you like to get up to, or you just live in Florida or Phoenix and you spend most of the year sweating. :giggle: No idea on pricing but sounds really cool. I won't be able to afford one and it's not going to suit me for other reasons, but once they start to come through second hand I'm having a pair for sure. Has a sport clip similar to the Secure N Stay to hold it tighter to the ear during heavy activity. Not found the fitting range on it, looks like it's going to suit up to about moderate-severe just from the size of it, but then again new technology and all ... besides which some folks with profound loss might be better off with something that they can wear in their favoured pursuits rather than nothing at all, even if it's not really strong enough. Being able to tell if there's a motorboat about to T-Bone you is often handy.

Stay tuned to the world of hearing aids cos there is an audiology conference on at the moment, if new things are coming this is likely to be when they are coming. Anyway, Siemens has launched the Aquaris waterproof (submersible for up to 30 minutes in up to 1m of water) hearing aid

https://hearing.siemens.com/_resources-re/files/04-products/27-aquaris/Broch-Con_Aquaris_2011.pdf

Super interesting for anyone who likes to swim, surf, snowboard, sail, whatever it is you like to get up to, or you just live in Florida or Phoenix and you spend most of the year sweating. :giggle: No idea on pricing but sounds really cool. I won't be able to afford one and it's not going to suit me for other reasons, but once they start to come through second hand I'm having a pair for sure. Has a sport clip similar to the Secure N Stay to hold it tighter to the ear during heavy activity. Not found the fitting range on it, looks like it's going to suit up to about moderate-severe just from the size of it, but then again new technology and all ... besides which some folks with profound loss might be better off with something that they can wear in their favoured pursuits rather than nothing at all, even if it's not really strong enough. Being able to tell if there's a motorboat about to T-Bone you is often handy.

that looks really cool! when I pass my Safaris down to my kids, I'm getting this chiz since I remember growing up with Siemens

BTW, my mom is an Aquaris so if my mother's like me, I'm getting her that on her bday ROFL

Can bet they won't be available on the NHS! Looks like it wouldn't be powerful enough for me any way, darn!!!

Can bet they won't be available on the NHS! Looks like it wouldn't be powerful enough for me any way, darn!!!

If it sells then everyone else is going to be looking at replicating the technology, and then I think the NHS would start to bring them out in the paediatric market in let's say 5 years' time, cos kids make a lot of repairs from things like beach holidays. Then once they have a job-lot contract we adults might be able to get our paws on some. If they are popular then a 675 version is bound to follow, they open new technology to the majority marketplace first, unfortunately, and that's the mild to mod/severe market.

Shame they didn't come along earlier when AtW was still paying for special hearing aids and I was well enough for a swimming instructor job.

Very cool. Wonder if it would work for me - 90db loss, maybe not, eh? I would LOVE to have this for water aerobics classes.

Looks like it wouldn't do for a real swimming workout (I swim anywhere from half a mile to 3/4 of a mile, normally, which takes me more than 30 minutes.)

But it would be great for being at the beach, or water aerobics classes, or that kind of thing.

I actually came out with the prototype of this back in third grade.(88-89) It was more a hearing aid cover a la Super Seals. My school had something called an Invention Convention, where kids came up with ideas for inventions. Can't believe they actually made one! Cool! I almost feel like a sci fi writer who's seen one of their fictions become reality!

Eurion

They used to make these waterproof hearing aids too. Rion was the company. Sadly did not catch on.

2u6lcf7.jpg

Looks like it wouldn't do for a real swimming workout (I swim anywhere from half a mile to 3/4 of a mile, normally, which takes me more than 30 minutes.)

You'd have to check the warranty limitations, but the certification is for 30 minutes of continuous immersion in a depth of 1m. If you are going to immerse them periodically in about a foot of water then surface to breathe and re-dunk them that's not the same thing as the water has a chance to drain - in for 2 seconds, out for 2 seconds. They'd have to make a statement on how repetitively you can dunk them in a small amount of water and remove them.

Meanwhile, wish I could get signed up to the evaluation panel for new hearing aids, could have got a chance to try these out for nothing in return for some surveys and stuff. I already do that with other consumer goods, wonder how you get on the hearing aid panel?

I actually have the Aquaris. I got them right after their release since I wasn't satisfied with the quality of the previous trial pair of Phonaks which I had (flimsy battery door, a lot of static from my hair, etc.) I love the Aquaris! I did have one minor problem due to the sound being amplified out of nowhere, however my auidologist adjusted the settings so that this doesn't happy anymore. It still happens a tiny bit, but not enough to bother me. I was told that this was due to the aids trying to block out unnecessary noises and amplifying other noises which it thought necessary. It was mostly doing this around machinery and music, which I found annoying. If anyone is considering getting the Aquaris, I recommend asking your audiologist to desensitize this "program" in the hearing aids so that it doesn't amplify these types of sounds. Otherwise, it seems to be a very sturdy aid. I do have some doubts about how it would handle in water, since the battery door does need to be open and closed to power them on an off. Additionally, the microphone doesn't seem to be one hundred percent covered, so if under water for too long, that would be an issue. It does do great in the rain, however (as accidentally discovered today - oops!)

I looked forever trying to find the right hearing aid for me. Choosing a hearing aid can be a complex process. Some are small enough to fit inside your ear canal, making them almost invisible. Others fit partially in your ear canal. Thanks for sharing…

I used to wear Siemen HAs before I got my implant. I am unable to wear HAs nowadays due to problem with severe recruitment. I just wish they had made this years ago becaise I would have gotten one of those. Oh well.

As a water aerobics instructor - these would be fantastic for me! I cannot wear my HAs to class, and I have to tell every new student that I'm HoH so if they have questions they need to speak up (especially when they're in the pool and I'm not).

Sadly, HAs are so expensive and my insurance doesn't pay for them at all.

As a water aerobics instructor - these would be fantastic for me! I cannot wear my HAs to class, and I have to tell every new student that I'm HoH so if they have questions they need to speak up (especially when they're in the pool and I'm not).

Sadly, HAs are so expensive and my insurance doesn't pay for them at all.

I don't know of any insurance that would pay for HAs.

it may be waterproof but suggest not to wear while swimming, as we dont need hg aids while swimming, and it will get defenitely spoiled as its electronic, suggest every one not to try in water, as expensive we have to see like small kid.ok, keep smiling and hearing

I love my Aquaris... when they work! I've had them replaced now over five times, and the batteries still keep on draining within a day, speakers shutting off half-way for no reason, etc. They're coming out of warranty soon and I'm SO sick of having HA's that don't work correctly! They break way too often, and I am so careful with them!

HORRIBLE HEARING AIDS. I bought the mid-grade ones with intent to have a "backup" set I have a severe hearing loss with high frequency sounds, it's a bit mild in lower frequency sounds, however, these hearing aids were marketed as being "waterproof", however, this is not the case. I work year-round as a lifeguard, and rely heavily on these hearing aids for hearing sounds of distress, etc. These hearing aids were purchased prior to starting my job as a lifeguard with the Walt Disney Company. However, these hearing aids were not able to amplify the sounds of high frequencies. The hearing aids were programmed a few times, with focus on increasing the high frequency sounds. However, they were still SCREECHING at these sounds, since the hearing aids are not capable of being programed for these sounds. The hearing aids will not withstand longer than 5 mins of being in water prior to shutting off entirely as well. They will not be damaged internally, however, they will not work. There is no on/off switch, so in the middle of teaching lessons at a swim school, i am needing to turn them off and on in water to get them to work, which they rarely do. They also risk getting water INTO the hearing aid and permanently damaging it. These are my second pair of waterproof hearing aids in the past 20 years, and my other ones were never like these! They actually worked! and it's terribly unfortunate i am finding the reviews are agreeing with my experiences, and these are the only waterproof hearing aids being manufactured, currently. Additionally, 4 days after starting my job with disney, the battery door to the hearing aid was busted because the aid itself kept shutting off, so i replaced the hearing aid battery the opposite direction assuming it was in wrong, and busted the door. Siemens mailed me a new one, however, it is a known problem with the aids, which is why they were replaced, instead of redesigning the aid to where this shouldn't happen.

It really is such a shame the aids are not able to serve their purpose, which is to allow deaf/HH to HEAR in water, no matter the time, or the water's depth. As it was noted above, the hearing aids were purchased to allow me to do my JOB, which I now struggle with consistently, except i've paid over $4,000 for these hearing aids.
Perhaps Siemens should promote the aids as water-resistant?

That's rough that they suck that badly. :( I never went for them in the end as I didn't get on with the sound of Siemens aids. I managed to rig a pair of waterproof Bluetooth headphones to a microphone transmitter to improve my hearing when swimming. It's not ideal as the mics are not on my ears, but they do stay on and for the most part I get an OK seal provided I don't push off at full speed from the side. Bluetooth doesn't function under the water, but that's fine, most people don't hear when submerged. So long as I keep the right side one near the surface I can swim fine, as the left side doesn't receive, it gets a passive signal from the right. I can hear enough background to know what's going on, and if not then I hook them up to music instead to keep the tinnitus away.

My next project is to buy and modify a set of Cochlear Aqua Plus waterproof sleeves. I expect there to be issues, but I will try them gradually, filled with paper towel till I get it water tight then put in my old set of aids before I risk my real ones in there. Also interested to see what the battery life is like, as air batteries have some trouble with sealed environments, might have to use rechargeables. The big companies are clearly not developing in this area, so it's DIY time.

Back