Sidekick (Voice Plan, HOW ???)

Tousi said:
Y.....
Hello, again, a correction on what I said above(from my wife). You get a free Nextalk CD from MCI(or download it from your computer at Iprelay.com). Then you will get the benefits I mentioned above. You take the call on your computer like I said before. But if you are not at your computer, the call will be re-routed and displayed as text on your Sidekick. Neat, eh? Cheers....

I do not own a Sidekick, BUT
my other deaf brother has his own
Sidekick. I just informed him what
you told me about Nextalk being
able to re-route to his Sidekick if
he's NOT at his computer.. Thats Neat !!
Thanks... BUT it is not a REAL Time thing...
I do NOT like one thing about NEXTALK
you have to give hearing people that IP Relay
number PLUS user-id code Lots of hearing
people do NOT want to be bothered with
these "user-id code".. Right ?

I hope in the future there will be a
REAL TIME quick conversation
including converting voice to text
and text to voice quickly !!!
much better than just leave a
message or just e-mail and then
wait and wait and wait for
their response

>>If you want AIM on Blackberry, I think it required to download or have it install something. I am sure Mark know something. Mark? Mark? And.... the big good thing about Blackberry is powerful e-mail.

Sabrina / everyone else,

Chatting is done using:
http://www.webmessenger.com
AIM, ICQ, MSN, YAHOO -- All four on Blackberry

Make sure you have a Nextel Blackberry (better) or a Mobitex 950. If you get TMobile, Cingular, Rogers or another Blackberry, you need a BES/MDS hosting service such as www.eoutlook.com or www.mailstreet.com.... (Which may be a pain in the neck)

Me, I am using Rogers Canada right now. I BYOF (Bring Your Own Features) to my Blackberry using
www.webmessenger.com - AIM, ICQ, MSN, YAHOO
www.imbot.com - Text-To-Voice
www.phonewire.com/voicemail/ or www.dictomail.com - Voice-To-Text
www.idokorro.com - MCI Wireless IP Relay (ask for deaf discount for MobileSSH for IP-Relay use)

I set up a REAL-TIME TDD on my Blackberry using a Linux box with a TDD modem attached to it. I just telnet from my Blackberry to my Linux box which has a TDD modem attached, can make incoming and outgoing calls. Kermit communications software can be good enough, but shell script programming should be done so that your Blackberry vibrates when you get an incoming TDD call, so you can then connect to your Linux box over telnet to answer that TDD call. My typing are transmitted REAL-TIME, letter by letter too!

Anyway, Sidekick might be easier to use "Out of the box".... but Blackberry is usually much better and more reliable email. The USA Congress use Blackberries now, they trust them the most -- And it's a CANADIAN technology (GO FIGURE! Despite the tension in USA-CANADA relations...And the USA government stopped a USA company from shutting down the CANADIAN company!!!!!! This is a rare thing, because Blackberry is so good!) -- Proof --
http://www.brighthand.com/article/HoR_Says_Save_the_Blackberry?site=
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001oct/bpd20011001008096.htm
http://boingboing.net/2003/01/17/congress_pleads_for_.html
http://www.darwinmag.com/connect/opinion/column.html?ArticleID=654

Blackberry is the most reliable now! Even the USA government which doesn't always like the Canada government much, is forced to use them because they are better! You can now BYOF on almost any wireless device nowadays. It may cost me extra to get the features separately of the service but I even get rural coverage around here, which is an advantage in Ontario for me. Blackberry also has better battery life, always-on 24/7 battery life for a nonstop 4-8 days (100 to 200 hours nonstop always-on) running WebMessenger 24/7 and being able to receive emails quickly just like pager pages. No need to turn off the device unless you want to. Unlike before with the boring Blackberry, the newer Blackberries now come with backlit keyboards for typing in the dark, and some models have color screens.

Keep in mind, it sometimes takes more work to set up extra features on a Blackberry -- because they are more designed for a corporations and governments. (Treo and SideKick are often easier to set up for individuals but less reliable and much shorter battery life) And yes, they cost a little more than Sidekick if you want to use other features such as WebMessenger. It depends on what is "good enough" for you.

The price for the Blackberry on www.FuseWireless.com is excellent. Blackberries are usually very expensive at $450 or so. It should work with www.webmessenger.com but you will need to also purchase www.eoutlook.com BES/MDS hosting service (about $10 per month) to install the Internet features on the Blackberry so that WebMessenger and other things. Unless Fuse Wireless is now offering WebMessenger service yet?

Last edited:
Blackberry also has better battery life, always-on 24/7 battery life for a nonstop 4-8 days (100 to 200 hours nonstop always-on) running WebMessenger 24/7 and being able to receive emails quickly just like pager pages.

No need to turn off the device unless you want to. Unlike before with the boring Blackberry, the newer Blackberries now come with backlit keyboards for typing in the dark, and some models have color screens.

How could you do have a battery life ?? No change battery or recharge on your pager ?

Sabrina said:
How could you do have a battery life ?? No change battery or recharge on your pager ?

What Mark is said... Sidekick have lack batter life from 24 hours to less and less. Therefore Blackberry is better.

Back