Sidekick 4G vs. Samsung Galaxy S 4G

Hollykins1

Reaction score
It was time to change phones. I had a Blackberry but never really liked it for texting as the keyboard is just too tiny. I still use voice on my phone but am using texting more and more due to my hearing declining.

Decided to get the new T Mobile Sidekick 4G. I liked it at first. The slide full QWERTY keyboard is great. I like the Android O/S and there are many great apps.

However....I found it had some problems. It may have just been on my phone, but notifications were a pain to figure out. The phone goes to the default "time" screen which I really didn't like and for some reason it was difficult to get it to get back to the home screen. (again, that may have been my Sidekick just not functioning properly?) Still, I found that beyond annoying. It would tell me I had notifications, but trying to figure out WHAT they were (Text? Voice call? Facebook?) just wasn't easy. I think one is supposed to be able to slide down the notifications from the top of the screen but not on mine.

Whenever I did a voice call, it would go back to another screen while I was using that - and to get to the screen so I could use the "end call" function was way too much work. Very easy to miss still being connected.

I thought the text message were very, very tiny. Hey, I'm over 40 and I can't read tiny little text!

Also, it does not support Purple P3. People will come out sideways.

Since I was in my 14 day period, and from suggestions from friends at the Deaf chat/meet I attend - I decided to take the Sidekick back and try the Galaxy S 4G.

Still have a lot to learn! But I can tell you after just ONE day - I like it so much better! I will miss the full QUERTY keyboard, but the virtual one is easy to use in the sideways position. I never liked virtual keyboards, hence why I never ever considered the IPhone. For the Galaxy - I'm finding it isn't bad at all, and I suspect I'll get better and faster with it.

The notifications menus is super easy and it works! Simply slide down from the top of the screen and voila - there they all are.

Fantastic, vivid screen. Need more time with it, especially with texts - but I am already much happier with it than the Sidekick.

It was time to change phones. I had a Blackberry but never really liked it for texting as the keyboard is just too tiny. I still use voice on my phone but am using texting more and more due to my hearing declining.

Decided to get the new T Mobile Sidekick 4G. I liked it at first. The slide full QWERTY keyboard is great. I like the Android O/S and there are many great apps.

However....I found it had some problems. It may have just been on my phone, but notifications were a pain to figure out. The phone goes to the default "time" screen which I really didn't like and for some reason it was difficult to get it to get back to the home screen. (again, that may have been my Sidekick just not functioning properly?) Still, I found that beyond annoying. It would tell me I had notifications, but trying to figure out WHAT they were (Text? Voice call? Facebook?) just wasn't easy. I think one is supposed to be able to slide down the notifications from the top of the screen but not on mine.

Whenever I did a voice call, it would go back to another screen while I was using that - and to get to the screen so I could use the "end call" function was way too much work. Very easy to miss still being connected.

I thought the text message were very, very tiny. Hey, I'm over 40 and I can't read tiny little text!

Also, it does not support Purple P3. People will come out sideways.

Since I was in my 14 day period, and from suggestions from friends at the Deaf chat/meet I attend - I decided to take the Sidekick back and try the Galaxy S 4G.

Still have a lot to learn! But I can tell you after just ONE day - I like it so much better! I will miss the full QUERTY keyboard, but the virtual one is easy to use in the sideways position. I never liked virtual keyboards, hence why I never ever considered the IPhone. For the Galaxy - I'm finding it isn't bad at all, and I suspect I'll get better and faster with it.

The notifications menus is super easy and it works! Simply slide down from the top of the screen and voila - there they all are.

Fantastic, vivid screen. Need more time with it, especially with texts - but I am already much happier with it than the Sidekick.

:cool2: Nice! :D

Back