Shower and CI

Vivie

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusing title..I showered ( without the BTE of course.. ) and after applying at my wet hair a towel , I put the BTE on ....and sound comes on and off..and magnet is put at the positions..does the wet hair/towel do any harm at the magnet or coil?

from what i have been told, you are only suppose to wear CI when your hair's completely dry, But that may be wrong... be interested to see what the others had said... then i have something new to think about for when i get mine! I have often put my HA straight on after shower (at swimming pools)

The coil headpiece also has electronics exposed to the air, moisture can get in and may damage the parts unless you dehumidify it ASAP. What might have also happened is that the towel can weaken and muffle the signal when another object is placed between your bte and internal implant. But I wouldn't expose it to moisture unecessarily. :)

I always airdry my hair and put the CI back on when it's damp but not quite dry yet. I haven't had any problems so far but then I use the dry and store every night.

However, I would defer to the others especially as you have experience a problem with wet hair.

Being as I sweat a LOT, especially in the summer, I've not had any problems with my coil being on my hair when it was wet/damp.

Vivie,

Wet hair should do nothing to the coil/magnet. What I would be more concerned about is the moisture around the Processor and getting water on the filter for the microphones. Mine last several months before the filter gets hard/plugged and I have to change it out. They are a little pricy in my opinion. When the filter gets plugged, it causes the microphone to receive a muffled sound and I have a hard time understanding speech again. This degredation takes place over several weeks so I don't really know I can't hear as well as I use to. Once I change the filter, bingo, sounds are a lot clearer and I can turn down the volume again.

Good luck. I can say the CI has changed my life. I can hear now almost like when I had good hearing.

Back ground. Started loosing hearing in 2004. December 2006 Implanted with Freedom. Activated January 2007. Sometimes I forget I can't hear and get inconveniently reminded when the battery dies. I have only been caught away from home a couple times without my extra battery when the juice dries out. I have found that by turning off the processor and switching to 900 hz and powering it back on, I can get about 15 minutes more before the processor shuts off again. Gets me through not being able to communicate. For me, at least that is one option.

Good luck.
Steve

Implant external devices are water resistant not water proof. There is a sliicon applied to the coil circuit and the CI circuits. ( I have seen the internal parts of both ) However, it don't mean it is going to work everytime water touches it . Just avoid the water like the plague around electronic hearing devices of any kind.

Back