Should we lower the price of U.S. passports?

ki4jgt

Reaction score
In this day and age we are taught about freedoms left and right. We're no longer a colonial society who believe that the world is one big scary place where no one can be trusted (although that exactly what some people do still believe). In a world where the price of travel is lower than the price to have the right to travel, something is wrong.

I've created a white house petition to lower the price of U.S. passports to that of a driver's license.

http://wh.gov/Kmw
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/fb/petition/petition/lower-price-us-passports/5x6x3gw8

The reasons passports should be cheaper are innumerable. My main points and arguments though are what I'm about to tell you.

In America (and most of the civelized world) people are garunteed inalienable rights. That means we can't be seperated from them. I think another of these rights is the right to educate yourself about the world you live in and to be able to do it first hand. One should not have to pay for the right to leave his or her country and see the world for themselves. One DOES NOT directly pay for this right. Instead, one pays for diplomatic vouching. One's home country uses the diplomatic strings it has with another country and vouches that you would be a good citizen to enter into that country. This vouching is pricey and indirectly stiples many who wish to explore the world and educate themselves in other cultures.

This vouching impedes on the freedoms and rights of it's citizens. As mentioned earlier, it restricts freedom to educate one's self. It also restricts one's ability to diplomatically represent their home country. Making it only possible for those who can afford to travel gives only a percentage of the country the right to do so.

Next, the price of passports, this is one of my favorite arguable technicalities. The price of a U.S. passport is so, b/c of the expenses of the security features of the document. In recent years I would have accepted this as fact and forgotten about it. However, new technologies have allowed for virtually unforgable identification techniques which cost pennies on the dollar. We have biometric id cards now which are used to prevent cheating on college entry exams. They're supposed to be virtually unforgable. We've learned that RFID has vulnerabilities and can't be trusted.

We know all this information, yet we still haven't put together a travel document which allows a person to step out of one country and into another without requiring them to pay an arm and a leg for the entailed securities.

I can get on a cargo ship for about half the price of a passport (cheaper if I'm willing to work) and sail to almost any place in the world I want to go.

Last argument, in multiple membered families (say 5 people). The price of a passport would drastically cut into their transportation budget. $130 X 5 = $650. That's an extra $650 added onto the maybe $250 price of a cargo ship ride to the country of choice.

When the price to travel is lower than the right to travel, something is WRONG.

In closing, I know this post looks like crap LOL but I would like you to sign it anyways. Share it with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter and let's get 25,000 signatures for the white house. Everyone should have the right to travel.

I understand that passport fee is outrageously high but it's probably because of resource provided for you wherever you are. The Americans will fetch you if you are in trouble so it's a small price to pay for that protection.

I understand that passport fee is outrageously high but it's probably because of resource provided for you wherever you are. The Americans will fetch you if you are in trouble so it's a small price to pay for that protection.

You shouldnt complain about your passport prices, my aussie one was $233

passport agency is self-suuporting

They have to charge that much as they are not receiving government money to research your background and make your pasport.
They are much pickier then they used to be. Kids passports are good for 5 years. My daughter's was about to expire so I applied for a new one. Kids passports must be applied for in-person, which usually means paying the post office also. The passport renewal was denied by the passport agency as I didn't have a certified custody letter from court. Her previous passport was issued without the certified letter, just a copy of my custody papers. The passport agency put a lot of time into arguing with me on this. The court showed affirmative action hiring at its worst by having idiots behind the counter also. They ordered the paper twice from records and still couldn't find it. The third time I was at the courthouse I also had to pay $26 for a copy of my custody papers. I already had copies, too. I never had a certified copy as it was never made by court. The judges's stamp was on the back of another paper. I gave up on them.

I agree that people should be given freedom to travel anywhere.

Remember many years ago when people from different countries would flock into USA. They did not have to pay for passport. It bought a lot of poor people to USA. I'm trying to not pick on poor people, but USA doesn't want more homeless people. SO therefore, if you want freedom to get to USA, you have to pay for it.

I agree that passport costs would be cheaper, but what am I to do? I do hope that passport can become more affordable for those that needs it.

I agree that passport costs would be cheaper, but what am I to do? I do hope that passport can become more affordable for those that needs it.

well - if they can't afford passport fee, then how can they afford to travel?

That makes no sense - if you can afford to travel overseas, then you can afford afford the passport.

Your rights are restricted only in USA, and your passport does NOT give you the same rights OVERSEAS.

UPDATE: just read the rest of the thread and noticed that Jiro's saying the same thing about the cost of passport.

For security reasons, that's not possible. That was true even before 9/11. During the Cold War, international travel was restricted for Americans.

Remember many years ago when people from different countries would flock into USA.

They did not have to pay for passport. It bought a lot of poor people to USA. I'm trying to not pick on poor people, but USA doesn't want more homeless people. SO therefore, if you want freedom to get to USA, you have to pay for it.

Passport documents were issued to American citizens by the USA ever since its founding as an independent nation. The restrictions weren't the same though.

Immigrants coming to the USA wouldn't have American passports, of course, but they would carry documentation from the countries that they came from. That was even "many years ago."

Yes, many of the immigrants were poor but their trip to America wasn't free. Even "many years ago."

well - if they can't afford passport fee, then how can they afford to travel?
That reminds me of people who say they can't afford to pay decent tips at restaurants when they go out. If you can't afford a proper tip, don't go to an expensive restaurant.

That reminds me of people who say they can't afford to pay decent tips at restaurants when they go out. If you can't afford a proper tip, don't go to an expensive restaurant.

Yup, just like gas, if you can't afford to go walmart to buy games, TV, etc so don't drive at all, except for jobs and important needs (food).

For security reasons, that's not possible. That was true even before 9/11. During the Cold War, international travel was restricted for Americans.

It still is. For instance, Cuba. You have to apply for a license to travel there.

Americans in general can't go to Cuba due to the embargo.

I'm sure there are other countries where we can't go without the government's approval due to security risks.

Also as stated above, if you can afford to travel, you can afford the passport.

I can't afford to travel therefore I won't apply for a passport. I would be wise to spend the money elsewhere more practical for my situation such as, rent.

This is the only viable reason I've heard on this entire thread.

They have to charge that much as they are not receiving government money to research your background and make your pasport.
They are much pickier then they used to be. Kids passports are good for 5 years. My daughter's was about to expire so I applied for a new one. Kids passports must be applied for in-person, which usually means paying the post office also. The passport renewal was denied by the passport agency as I didn't have a certified custody letter from court. Her previous passport was issued without the certified letter, just a copy of my custody papers. The passport agency put a lot of time into arguing with me on this. The court showed affirmative action hiring at its worst by having idiots behind the counter also. They ordered the paper twice from records and still couldn't find it. The third time I was at the courthouse I also had to pay $26 for a copy of my custody papers. I already had copies, too. I never had a certified copy as it was never made by court. The judges's stamp was on the back of another paper. I gave up on them.
Sorry to hear of your experience but for those of us who do not have dependents, the system should give the passport agencies easier access to the information infrustructure. I mean, if they can get it anyway, wouldn't it save them money to already have a system where they could have access? I also think they should cut down on the MANY outdated security measures which the passport has on it. Newer (virtually unforgable) methods exist which cost pennies on the dollar to produce.

Remember many years ago when people from different countries would flock into USA. They did not have to pay for passport. It bought a lot of poor people to USA. I'm trying to not pick on poor people, but USA doesn't want more homeless people. SO therefore, if you want freedom to get to USA, you have to pay for it.

Foreigners have their own passport systems. Why would this influence our own?
That makes no sense - if you can afford to travel overseas, then you can afford afford the passport.

Your rights are restricted only in USA, and your passport does NOT give you the same rights OVERSEAS.

UPDATE: just read the rest of the thread and noticed that Jiro's saying the same thing about the cost of passport.

Actually, if you can afford to travel, you can also pay double what it costs to travel to have the right to travel. I can get to anywhere in the world for around $50. However, I cannot because I do not have a passport (which costs double the price). In a time where I can be half way around the world for $50 but my government charges me double for the right to do so, there is something wrong. Especially in a government which speaks of freedom and encourages people to educate themselves.

ki4jgt - if you don't mind me asking, how can you be 1/2 across the world for $50. The last I checked, all flights crossing an ocean are in the hundreds. Do you own a plane? Or a boat?

ki4jgt - if you don't mind me asking, how can you be 1/2 across the world for $50. The last I checked, all flights crossing an ocean are in the hundreds. Do you own a plane? Or a boat?

I don't mind you asking. There are actually job oppritunities which will take you from country to country for cheap (if they don't pay you more) several companies (boats mostly) look for employees and they also offer cheaper flights than airplanes to people who aren't interested in working.

Wow, US passport is cheaper than New Zealand Passport.

New Zealand now only have 5 years passport, sadly no more 10 years passport. :(

Standard service
(up to 10 working days) $153.30 NZD for Adult ($128.17 USD)

Urgent service
(up to 3 working days) $306.60 NZD for Adult ($256.34 USD)

After hours
(by appointment) $664.30 NZD for Adult ($555.42 USD)

Source: Fees and charges - adult passports - New Zealand Passports (passports.govt.nz)

Wow, US passport is cheaper than New Zealand Passport.

New Zealand now only have 5 years passport, sadly no more 10 years passport. :(

Standard service
(up to 10 working days) $153.30 NZD for Adult ($128.17 USD)

Urgent service
(up to 3 working days) $306.60 NZD for Adult ($256.34 USD)

After hours
(by appointment) $664.30 NZD for Adult ($555.42 USD)

Source: Fees and charges - adult passports - New Zealand Passports (passports.govt.nz)

That is HORRIBLE! People should be able to go where they please.

Blame the cost on the taliban. I didn't think it was high. There is a lot more. That needs to go into a passport these days anyway. Probably have to go through 100 paper pushers before it actually gets to you. And after all it is good for years and years. You could always move to canada. They are full of immigrants because no one else wants to live there

If your just traveling CONUS then you just need a passcard, its cheaper. Only works if your traveling by car, train or bus though. Alot of countries change their passport policies in rhetorical response to other countries like the US. For example-I am going to Brazil this year so Brazil requires me to purchase a travel visa at $170 and requires a passport. They ONLY require that because the US requires it.

Back