Should the world's oldest wine bottle be opened?

I don't see what purpose could possibly be served by opening it.

Would they be trying to see what changes in plants in that area, since 350 AD?

Would they be trying to see what changes in plants in that area, since 350 AD?

I don't know. Possibly. But one has to wonder if, as old as it is, exposure to the air would case such rapid decompensation that it could not be analyzed anyway.

So will you drink a 1,650 years old orange juice or apple juice? So I am not sure the point of opening this one.

:laugh2: once it opens and life is over in a second! :tears: dont ask me why because i found it so hilarious.

It has been closed all this time, why the need to open it now? Besides it doesnt look edible. lol

Looks like sludge and the content would have to be disposed of if opened so why open it?

Eh, I heard the AD350s peaked around the Dark Ages. Quaffable? Perhaps, but this is definitely past its prime. Tannins will be muted, and a slight mustiness and mushroom aroma. Could benefit from some aeration, but served with a roasted goat and gladiator entertainment, you might have a delightful evening with it.

Looks like sludge and the content would have to be disposed of if opened so why open it?

Gotta smell and perhaps taste what a 700+ year old bottled wine smell and taste like.:shock: Who knows what science might learn from this very old wine. Maybe stumble across a scientific finding that will rock the wine world!!
:lol:

Open the wine bottle!!

I say open it, yeah, if nothing more than curiosity and experimentation. But to drink, no way. It will be "bad" by now.

Sad to make it so long without opening it - why bother now?

Because...it is there. Sitting on the shelf...taunting and daring people, "Open me. Open me! Open meeee!"

THE OLDEST DRINKABLE WINE IN EXISTENCE | 2oceansvibe.com

We’ve talked about children and wine education before. And recently about divers finding old wine under the sea. So I was surprised to stumble on a reference in a book I was reading to my kids the other day, The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau, by Dan Yaccarino. “When diving in the waters near France,” Yaccarino writes, “Cousteau and his crew found a sunken ship full of wine jars over 2,200 years old! They tasted the wine. Alas, it was bitter.” My seven-year-old son thought it was cool to taste something outrageously old, even if it was “bitter.” (Apparently, Cousteau’s comment at the time was that it was “a poor vintage.”) Here’s the same 1952 discovery in another book, for grown-ups: “[Cousteau] checked his depth gauge. Two hundred and fifty feet. … He tripped his reserve valve to give himself an extra five minutes. … And there it was. Looking like an object in a museum … an amphora lay half buried on the slope in front of him. With the last measure of his strength, Cousteau pulled the amphora free of the bottom.” Funny we get the tasting notes in the kids’ book. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any video from on-board the Calypso. But I’m sure it was captured in the ABC series “The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.”
Jacques Cousteau and the amphora [children's books] | WineCultureProject

Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King - Brad Matsen - Google Books

I hope Cheetah will come in here and give us his insights. :)

Besides, do a quick test and see if acetobacter is present in the wine, then you know it's turned to vinegar.

Back