Should student-athlete get paid?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Should they be paid or is scholarship fair enough? They basically get their education paid for by playing for the University.

Should they get more than just a free scholarship? You know like get paid to give out autograph or something like that.

A part of me thinks that scholarship is enough. A part of me feels that it would be nice if they would get pay. I am not sure where I stand here.

Expert Gives Pros And Cons With Paying Student Athletes | digtriad.com

Definitely. I think the big hangup now is keeping it fair for the small schools that don't bring in the revenue. I think disparity in what men's teams and women's teams pull in as well as difference in different sport's revenue are (swimming vs football). Some people want to set a tiny limit on it for this reason. I think the worth of a started for a "good" college team is around 1.5 million over their 3-4 year carrier. Far more than the scholarships they receive. Not that the school shouldn't make money, but I think that students receiving money to play would help keep them around longer which is good for the school, and good for the student to earn a degree in case their sport career ends early or doesn't happen.

Yes, they should get paid. Perhaps it should be conditional on whether they graduate, but I believe they should be paid for what they bring to the college.

Colleges nowadays are too busy worrying about sports program where most of their money comes from. They don't really do much with education itself. Some hearing people in other forum agreed with that.

I got my college paid for by getting a softball scholarship. I felt very lucky to land a full-ride scholarship and to expect more money would be selfish. I don't think they should get paid more. A college education is very invaluable.

No they shouldn't get paid not while those recieving scholarships, getting free rides in school one year and the next year they're in the pros...

Scholarship athletes are already paid. They get an education,a nice place to live,meals,clothes,travel stipend... Yada yada yada.

I do think they should get a small living stipend so that they don't have to work. Just enough for a movies and gas. Perhaps $100/week. The demands of practice and travel take up a lot of time and student athletes should be spending free time studying rather than working anyway. The NCAA already limits what a student can earn while working for this reason. I am not sure what the figure is but it is really low.

I think athlete scholarship is enough for them and I don't support them to get paid by college.

I found from somewhere about athlete was one of larger portion on college's budget.

They get their school expenses taken care of--that's enough.

They don't need spending money. They don't have time for movies and beer parties. They're supposed to be studying and training.

Their scholarship should be enough. They're playing to stay in school. It also encourages them to stay educated.

If they were paid, then they would lose focus on their studies and the money would get to their head. :dizzy:

They don't need spending money.
They don't have time for movies and beer parties. They're supposed to be studying and training.

Isn't that kinda extreme? Think back to your college years didn't you have some spending money? I am not talking about turning into a party animal. But, some of these kids come from very poverty stricken circumstances and don't get to do the normal amount of things like a meal out or going home for a weekend. I also get the impression that they are very restricted about getting a summer job to provide such funds. While the coaching staff can be paid millions.

They don't need spending money. They don't have time for movies and beer parties. They're supposed to be studying and training.

Remember, the football season lasts 3- 4 months. They still have lives and girlfriends and family with B-Days. Part of the philosophy of to allowing them to work is to protect them from boosters and organized crime. It is not unusual for people on academic scholarships to receive a small living stipend as well.

Personally as a college student I wish I could have a scholarship to pay me a bit of money so I could go to the movies and not just for student athletes or academically related. I really only have the choice between going to school and working myself. I work full-time and go to school part-time, mostly because I pay my own rent and I also use what spare bit of money to pay my own insurance, groceries, and medical bills (hearing aids, last ER visit, and so forth).

I mean, I think it would be awesome to get people the chance to be able to have some fun in college but those who already receive scholarships are fortunate enough. Some people like me whose parents refuse to help pay for college or can't even get FASFA because the school refuses to give them aid without being claimed as a dependant.

However, I am glad there are people that this could benefit just as much as I know people who it shouldn't benefit. If it came down to actually paying students, I think financial aid should be a factor and it come from the student's work study money.

what about youngsters who not sporty very clever and no money...
if an athlete is not academic are they fast tracked and helped(hmm)get degree,or if they are academic are they forced do sport when they should be studing.i never understood american system

what about youngsters who not sporty very clever and no money...
if an athlete is not academic are they fast tracked and helped(hmm)get degree,or if they are academic are they forced do sport when they should be studing.i never understood american system
Non-athletes can get academic scholarships or needs-based grants (like PELL), join the military and get tuition assistance/GI Bill, or work and attend part-time.

Non-athletes can get academic scholarships or needs-based grants (like PELL), join the military and get tuition assistance/GI Bill, or work and attend part-time.

Yes, that's correct.

I got Pell Grant, VR grant and academic scholarship to cover anything.

Some students got loan but the loan should be last option.

I'm curious here. You know that if you pay for dorm housing, that usually includes meal at the dorm. Many coaches don't want their players to eat dorm food. Do they get stipends for food that they should be eating? I didn't get a scholarship so I'm curious.

Back