Should or Shouldn't

SilentFairyGirl

Reaction score
I just want to know what the AD family thinks! implants, what do you all think about them? I have not been deaf long, but I am learning sign. Some people think I should try implants or just live oral and not sign. I love to sign because it is apart of who I am now. What do you all think?

SilentFairyGirl said:
I just want to know what the AD family thinks! implants, what do you all think about them? I have not been deaf long, but I am learning sign. Some people think I should try implants or just live oral and not sign. I love to sign because it is apart of who I am now. What do you all think?

If you want them, go for it!

Do it for yourself, not for others. :)

My advice (coming from a hearing parent of a deaf child), is that it is your decision. I personally think that would greatly benifit from it. You were hearing so all of the wiring is already in place. You know how to speak, and I assume you still can/do. You just cannot hear correst? If I recall, you lost your hearing recently due to illness involving a high fever?
My 0.02 woth it go for it! Your hearing will not sound the same as it did, but it will be clode enough to wotrk effectively. I have been told that when you hear voices, they tend to sound metallic, or kinda computerized. I was also told your brain adjusts to the difference.

Have you tried hearing aid yet? Most insurance company required that you wear HA for 6 month or so to see if you can benefits from HA or not before they approved the CI.

I was HOH (hard of hearing) most of my life until last year I lost more of my hearing, putting me in the profound loss department. I know how you mean that you feel alone and feel depressed. I felt that way when I couldn't understand anyone anymore and talk on the phone to my parents anymore. (They live a good distances from me) But you will get through it just fine as long as you have the supports of your family and friends that will take the time to talk to you a little differently than before.
I have a CI now and I love it. I'm still learning to hear with it, but it's getting better.
You can be oral and sign or just sign or just be oral. You do what make you happy. I'm just oral, but it's what I'm happy with.
Best of luck and feel free to PM me anytime for anything, CI or just dealing with your loss.
Stacie

Lillys dad said:
I have been told that when you hear voices, they tend to sound metallic, or kinda computerized. I was also told your brain adjusts to the difference.

Very true, it's starting to sound more like I remember.

As the others have said it's only a choice you can make. However I wanted to say that your options are not nescessarily mutually exclusive. You can for example continue to sign and have an implant.

An implant allows you to get a representation of hearing but does not make you hearing. You still still be deaf at the end of the day and you may still want and need the support of other deaf people, hence continue to make use of your signing skills.

As others have said CIs are becoming much more acceptable in deaf culture circles. As someone who only became deaf recently you appear to be an excellent candidate, although of course a professional will have to evaluate you. I was born deaf and have had my implant for 5 weeks. I'm really pleased with how it has gone.

It is totally up to you... I think you make an excellent candidate for a CI. You don't have to give up sign to use a CI.

I got my CI over a year ago and I'm loving every minute of it. It is one of the best things I've ever done. It sounds pretty much as it was before when I had a HA.

SilentFairyGirl said:

All yours... All up to you. It is not our decision but you! :)

It's your choice.. you can use sign and speak both for CI or for Hearing aid.. it would be excellent! Go for it! :mrgreen:

That is your choice.. your decision.. no one's telling you what to do.. its yours only! if you want to hear .. fine then by any means go for it.. but dont do it for others.. but FOR yourself.. ok??? :)

you can still learn sign language even if you have CI.. what if you go swimming and you cant hear?? you will need to use sign language sometimes?? gonna be fun!? :) hehe.

How well can you hear with hearing aids?

I hear just fine with hearing aids. So, there's no need for cochlear implants for me. :)

I can't hear with aids at all. I understand that I have to do this for me if I want to. I just wanted to get some idea of what other people have gone through. It is always better to hear it from you all then a doctor who has no idea what it feels like to be deaf or to have to see if CI is right for them or not. Just thinking what works for one might not work for others. Love ya all.

You mentioned that you had nerve-damage due to high fever. When the nerve is damaged, I doubt if CI will benefit you.
But tests that decide if you are a candidate will reveal that.

How did you become deaf?

most likely she means sensorineural hearing loss (damage to the little nerve hair-like fibers (celia) in the cochlea)... and if that is the case - she would be a candidate.

I can't hear with aids at all. I understand that I have to do this for me if I want to. I just wanted to get some idea of what other people have gone through. It is always better to hear it from you all then a doctor who has no idea what it feels like to be deaf or to have to see if CI is right for them or not. Just thinking what works for one might not work for others. Love ya all.

You have come to the right place to get information from the deaf people themselves (well, a variety anyways -- none of us are exactly the same)

Investigate, learn, investigate, choose, investigate, decide....

Back