Should I Wait?

ajtoremember

Reaction score
I'm HOH and I have always dated hearing, since I don't have anyone HOH/deaf around my area. It's become a bit tiring and only a few have been willing to learn to at least fingerspell. There's always the aggravation and misunderstanding from miscommunications as well. So, what do you guys think? Should I hold out for a HOH/deaf guy or try again?

I am in the same boat! Waiting on that HoH/Deaf guy to come my way. My last Boyfriend was hearing. I want someone I can sign with! :D

Personally, past relationships I've had with hearing has been an all bad experience for me. My current girlfriend is hearing BUT she has some hearing loss also (not to my degree of loss but she understands me) She LOVES ASL, took courses, understands deaf culture, her mom even accepts me and loves me (which is really rare for me to have because often times I'm misunderstood as the "slow turtle one" was even told by an almost in-law that I shouldn't have children because I was "slow" and that my kids would be slow.... grr, nerves of some people.)

Can a hearing/deaf relationship work? Yes, it can... but there has to be a LOT of communication. Both need to accept each other for who they are and be supportive and not negative of each other.

I'm HOH and I have always dated hearing, since I don't have anyone HOH/deaf around my area. It's become a bit tiring and only a few have been willing to learn to at least fingerspell. There's always the aggravation and misunderstanding from miscommunications as well. So, what do you guys think? Should I hold out for a HOH/deaf guy or try again?

you should be happy. I wouldn't wait for anything. If you find someone amazing I would go for it. I am 100% hearing, but I would never not date someone even if they were entirely deaf. Barriers can be overcome.

Not to mention Life is just to damn short. You need to live it while your here, because it could be gone in an instant. Love like it's your last day.

Same with me.. All my life I've dated D/HH until recently tried with Hearing.. Realizing I think my patience with Hearing (no offense) is very short these days while always around Deaf people.

I dont mind continuing to be friends with Hearing.. Or even to date one again in future but it's going to have to be a CODA or an interpreter.. I think I just rather get the good communication out of the way than always struggling. :)

Yes there's always the question in back of our mind asking ourselves "Can I deal with this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, then you know a bit more about yourself.. Cuz remember you still have to do what's best for you. Yea change isnt always easy but in relationship one of the keys is good communication. :)

God has a plan for the right Mr./Mrs. Right to come along.. :)

you should be happy. I wouldn't wait for anything. If you find someone amazing I would go for it. I am 100% hearing, but I would never not date someone even if they were entirely deaf. Barriers can be overcome.

This definitely is true in my experience. Waiting for the right one is a waste of time, just focus on your priorities and enjoy life, even casual dating doesn't hurt. I've had an engagement cancelled before, what I will not do is waste more time forcing a relationship to be compatible, either he'scommitted or needs to reassess what he really wants, just hanging on is not a relationship anymore.

Back