Should I Look For A New Doctor (ENT)?

BoricuaChevere

Reaction score
Every time I go to my ENT, he says my hearing is in fact getting worse but its not enough to get hearing aids. My problem is that he never shows us any results nor gives us any papers. But I've also realized that my hearing fluctuates for some odd reason. I've had severe ear infections and bad fluid in my ear off and on since a child and maybe that's why it fluctuates? I'm not sure exactly but it happens. But maybe that's why I can't get hearing aids yet, because I'm going on days that I can hear better than I normally can. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have my hearing altogether (its too painful!). But what do you all think? Find a new doctor or tell him what I just stated

Ask your ENT for a reference to an audiologist. The ENTs aren't qualified to deal with your hearing loss, the audiologists are. Your ENT is supposed to show you all of your results, files, etc at your request. They can't deny you that. Since you get severe ear infections and fluid build-up in your ears, it's best to keep your ENT and get an audiologist. The ENT is more than capable of dealing with your ear infections and any problems related to it. If he isn't helping you, then he's a quack.

ENTs are not very useful with hearing loss. There is very little that an ENT can do. Consider getting an audiogram from a audiologist if you haven't already gotten one. If you did get an audiogram, have the audiologist give you a copy. Whether you want to get a HA for a relatively mild loss is up to you, not your doctor. An audiologist can help you. Don't go to one of those HA dispensers for an audiogram (Costco, Miracle Ear, ect). Another HOH person should be able to give you a reference to a qualified audiologist in your area.

FWIW, I wish that I had a dollar for every Deaf/HOH person that told me that they wasted a lot of money with doctors only to have no answers or solutions. There's jsut not much that medical professional have to offer us.

Ask your ENT for a reference to an audiologist. The ENTs aren't qualified to deal with your hearing loss, the audiologists are. Your ENT is supposed to show you all of your results, files, etc at your request. They can't deny you that. Since you get severe ear infections and fluid build-up in your ears, it's best to keep your ENT and get an audiologist. The ENT is more than capable of dealing with your ear infections and any problems related to it. If he isn't helping you, then he's a quack.

All the ENT doctors I go to work with an audiologist, they're in the same office.
I thought it was that way with all ENT doctors.

Last edited:
I always go to independent audis. If the audi at the ENT office gave him a hearing test, he should get a copy of it.

He should easily get a copy of his records at the ENT. All he has to do is request it. Why would you even go to the doctor if you aren't going to follow up and find out what is wrong?

He should easily get a copy of his records at the ENT. All he has to do is request it. Why would you even go to the doctor if you aren't going to follow up and find out what is wrong?

I when to ENT when I was getting earaches in my left ear , the Doctor could find nothing wrong with my ear but he wanted me to come back for a follow a up appointment. I did not go back as I thought it was crazy to go back when the doctor could not help me the first time.

Well its not my fault. I have to have a recommendations from my regular doctor to go there. Sorry, cheap insurance

Well its not my fault. I have to have a recommendations from my regular doctor to go there. Sorry, cheap insurance

So ask him for one and ask him how he knows what level of hearing you have without an audiogram and ask him whether or not the ear infections could be making your hearing level fluxuate?

If I bought a car that had problems from a dealership, do I have to bring it to a mechanic recommended by car dealership? No, I don't have to. I can bring it to an independent mechanic. That should apply here with ENT and audiologist. You should be able to find an independent audiologist.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

BoricuaChevere said:
Thanks guys. Found an audi but now need gas to go out there -_- ugh, this economy sucks

If you can't afford gasoline... How are you going to afford $3000 -10,000 for hearing aids?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )
If you can't afford gasoline... How are you going to afford $3000 -10,000 for hearing aids?

Many states' OVR will help or fully pay for them if you really need them.

Thanks guys. Found an audi but now need gas to go out there -_- ugh, this economy sucks

When you care enough about your health without building road blocks to explain why you're not doing everything you can - then you'll get the attention and care your health deserves. It sounds to me like you've got an excuse for everything. I didn't have $6,150.00 to drop on new hearing aids after just having jaw surgery for $4,600.00, but I put it on my credit card. My hearing is very important to me, enough to invest in a good doctor and hearing aid model, even if I have to pay it off......believe it or not, sometimes you have to take a little initiative.

Back