Should I fight for an interpreter?

Good point. A couple of the people who were nastiest also have the most relevant advice and the most targeted expertise in this area. I may object to their approach in getting that info out there, but always value it even if I have to choke down a bit, sometimes a whole lot of meanness.

The bulk of my objection is that all that nastiness is just not necessary, and a whole lot more people would be getting this message if it wasn't always delivered with and nearly obscured by so much crap. There's already enough crap parents of deaf kids have to wade through within the unenlightened world we operate in, seems less than effective to have to wade through it among people who really understand.

What nastiness? I haven't seen any. A mother bear is the epitome of nastiness, since she does not care who is the victim of her wrath.

That doesn't answer the question. Who knows? California could become a third world country.

What fuck are you talking about?

No state can deny the interpreters because of ADA.

Become a third world country is irrelevant.

Good point. A couple of the people who were nastiest also have the most relevant advice and the most targeted expertise in this area. I may object to their approach in getting that info out there, but always value it even if I have to choke down a bit, sometimes a whole lot of meanness.

The bulk of my objection is that all that nastiness is just not necessary, and a whole lot more people would be getting this message if it wasn't always delivered with and nearly obscured by so much crap. There's already enough crap parents of deaf kids have to wade through within the unenlightened world we operate in, seems less than effective to have to wade through it among people who really understand.

What about unprofessionalism?

Wow...still focusing on who was nice and who was not? The child's needs will be met. Isn't that the most important thing? I think the thread served its purpose.

I just lol at these people who are so limited to "In THIS thread, this and that happened...."

No, I don't operate this way. If you're being an idiot everywhere else, chances are that you are being an idiot here too. (Feel free to replace "idiot" with any descriptive noun of your choosing to make yourself feel better about this statement.)

Respect is a two way street. As it stands, you have to work to get my respect. It's just way too easy for me to see things like "oh not this shit again". Sorry if many other parents done fucked it up for you.

The reason for that is... Parents like you are very common - refusal to listen, as well as being snarky towards the deaf community. You guys don't change.

All it actually takes is something simple and you done exposed yourself.

Now as for my responses in this thread, it still stands. For some people physical lessons are the only way they learn. (Think on that for a bit, ok.)

For these people who takes everything personally (whoever you may be) this post is not pointing fingers at anyone specifically. It is to inform you of where I am coming from.

True but it could establish a school policy precedent. I've seen it happen in medical settings. "Oh, so-and-so's mother always interpreted for Patient A, so maybe Patient B's husband could do the same thing."

Schools will pick up on any way around the law that they can. I've seen what happens from the terp end of the situation. They will stall, hem-and-haw, dance around, intimidate, "forget," cry poverty, whatever, to get out of paying for a terp, or paying full price for a qualified terp. I've even had them "forget" to pay me for months.
Not all schools are like that but there are enough of them to be a problem.

That is a sad fact of mainstream education that people need to know. Unfortunately, too many believe that just couldn't happen. If your child is in the mainstream, you need to be aware that the school district will get by with providing the bare minimum. Be prepared for that fact.

again - it's illegal to deny one due to budget issue.

Obviously, there are those in this thread attempting to impress with their "expertise" that are not even aware of the way funding for accommodations for students with disabilities is accomplished.:roll:

Amazing. People accept being bent over. It happens everywhere, sad.

And then others come along that have nothing to loose, and celebrate and encourage them to keep bending over. Sad for those that accept, cold and heartless for those that excuse it. And unbelievably arrogant.

It's also called acknowledging financial reality and when it really hits the wall it may just come down to that.

But I think technology in due time, certainly in our lifetime, will come up with a virtual ASL interpreter and voice recognition device you can carry in your pocket for any languages.

You obviously have no idea where the funding comes from or how funding to provide services for students with disabilities is accomplished. :roll:

Back