Should i buy a sidekick?

circlerain

Reaction score
Hi!! I am wondering what you all think about Sidekicks. I don't know what version it is or anything - I am thinking about buying one so that I can use instant messenger & relay using it.

Thanks!!

If you're buying it solely for the purposes of IM and relay, go for it. It's perfect for those two reasons, and relatively cheaper than most other PDA/Handheld phones (Samsung, Palm, some Blackberry models). My needs have outgrown what the Sidekick provides, and so I am now considering either getting a new cell phone or switching services.

A sidekick II is a great device for emailing, IM, and making relay calls. I have one and I love it :)

The sidekick II is great for e-mailing, IM, or relay so it should be a great device for what it does. I have one also.

Yeah they're right and I have one too and love it!.... :thumb:

Sidek!ck Is Absolutely Reliable!

I am sidekick user since the hiptop device released in October, 2002. Sidekick is very reliable and good tools for deaf communities across nation of U.S.A.

You read some quote from internet what they said about sidekick II!!

highbeam.com said:
Danger, Inc. Announces Improvements to hiptop for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communities; Free Downloadable Applications Make Wireless Internet Relay Calls Quick and Easy.

Business Wire; 9/15/2004

PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Danger, Inc., provider of the hiptop(R) Wireless Solution, today announced it has incorporated several key improvements into its hiptop2 wireless communications device that will make it more useful for the deaf and hard of hearing communities. Since its release in October of 2002, the hiptop(R) device (also sold in the United States as the T-Mobile(R) Sidekick(TM)) has gained popularity within this community for its messaging capabilities. Affordable "data only" plans offered by several wireless carriers (including T-Mobile(R) USA, SunCom and Edge Wireless in the U.S.) enable deaf and hard of hearing consumers to communicate on-the-go via instant messaging, email or SMS. Now with several improvements available in its next generation device -- and the introduction of two wireless Internet relay applications (to be available to current and new users) -- the hiptop Wireless Solution delivers an enhanced mobile communications experience for deaf and hard of hearing consumers.

Based on feedback from the deaf and hard of hearing market, Danger's new hiptop2 device (also to be sold as the T-Mobile(R) Sidekick II(TM) starting in late September 2004) includes a much more powerful vibration motor than in previous devices. Danger also added software support for recurring or persistent notifications (notifications that repeat until acknowledged by the user). Both of these improvements will ensure that deaf and hard of hearing users do not miss important messages.
HIGHBEAM

internetnews.com said:
September 16, 2004
Hiptop2 Device Honed for Deaf Market
By Susan Kuchinskas

Mobile device and applications vendor Danger unveiled several improvements on its hiptop2 wireless communications device that will make it more useful for the deaf and hard of hearing communities.

Palo Alto, Calif.-based Danger amped up the vibration motor that signals when a message has arrived and added the ability to set notifications to repeat until acknowledged by the user. Both improvements are designed to ensure that deaf and hard of hearing users won't miss important messages.

"Deaf and hard of hearing consumers are an important and passionate segment of the hiptop community," said Hank Nothhaft, Danger chairman and CEO. "I believe that the interface we've developed, that's so simple to use and blends these disparate applications together, is why we've become so popular in the deaf community and with anyone in high messaging mode."

In addition to deaf and hard of hearing customers, Nothhaft said the hiptop is popular with affluent, educated young professionals. The top applications are instant messaging and e-mail, with about 45 percent of the user base accessing them on any given day. The average IM user sends and receives 110 instant messages a day, while e-mail users receive an average of 20 a day and send around five
INTERNETNEWS

If You read DONE from above?? SK II answers you are looking for! get sk II without regrets... :)

Depending on coverage! Im starting to dislike SKII, they barely have coverage at my work. 80% of the time no coverage! I have to drive up 1/2 miles to get the signals. SUCKS!!!

Hey thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna get one. I'm going to the tmobile store to see what one is like then maybe order one from online if the price is better! Right now there are two rebates online that make it a better price so might do that.

I'm excited to try it!! Thanks!!

circlerain said:
Hey thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna get one. I'm going to the tmobile store to see what one is like then maybe order one from online if the price is better! Right now there are two rebates online that make it a better price so might do that.

I'm excited to try it!! Thanks!!
I got mine for only 100 dollars last year on www.fusewireless.com with 3 rebates...

Other website you can check www.deafpagers.com

Yes get one!

Hi Circlerain,
I bought my sidekick2 at the Mata Expo this past Nov. in Long Beach,and I love it!!!
Its great for AIM, E mails and relay.
Now I can communicate with my deaf clients on AIM and E-mail alot faster than using my TTD.
Go for it!!
You'll really enjoy it!!
Margie
Dir.of Communication Serivces
OCDAC

Sure Go for it (depend on where you live..)

I love it so far !!!

Excellent, T-Mobile has decent value plan and Sidekick Unlimited Data which gives you Unlimited Text Message, Picture Message, Email, Messenger, Browser, and capability download fun for free like Yahoo Messenger, Sprint Wireless Relay and IP-Relay which they are free to download. However you need to make sure your area is T-Mobile Network area or Partnership with GPRS capability area.
T-Mobile To Go Sidekick II is a great prepaid, if not interest getting any hassle on either 1-2 years contract, however T-Mobile prefer to have 1 year contract as first option, but 2 years option is available upon customer request as well.
T-Mobile To Go Sidekick starter kit starting from 329.99, but right now T-Mobile has 50.00 instant rebate would be 279.99 at anywhere T-Mobile store or T-Mobile authorized dealer or Walmart and online. This plan only cost you 1.00 per day everday weither device is on or off with of course all unlimited data as just I said in above, but anything than freebie from Download Fun it would deduct right off ur available funds. It can be purchase T-Mobile To Go Prepaid Card at any available in store to add more funds. To have that, you must be within T-Mobile Network USA not Partnership Network (Roaming Network), since prepaid and post pay (monthly bill/contract) are not on same system, therefore it will only work within T-Mobile Network USA.
If you not in any T-Mobile Network USA but know that you are in roaming area that is according to T-Mobile coverage check, then I'd first give T-Mobile call and find out in your area that actually has GPRS capability on partnership's network in your area. While to do that and theres something I have to tell you, while you know in ur area is partnership GPRS capability network area, and you only be able to use this service if you willing to sign up at least 1 year contract with this plan in order to work, not prepaid svc. Yep its only way to do that. However it remain decent plan for $29.99 per month for alll unlimited data.

If your area is partnership with GPRS capability, You can't call in T-Mobile to start your service with purchase of Sidekick II, due to FCC says T-Mobile only able to allow to make new svc where T-Mobile Network USA coverage at. Which then mean you'd have to order/buy Sidekick II someplace else, like Ebay or etc at your risk if from Ebay. Or you can defintely still buy T-Mobile To Go Prepaid Sidekick II starter kit, but it doesnt mean for prepaid only, it can also can be for post pay svc as well. All you need to do is call T-Mobile Activation Dept and let them know you wanting to activate post pay/contract svc with ur new device.. Just like I did and I've been doing this way since my area is not T-Mobile but Formerly Western Wireless Corporation with GPRS capability (ALLTEL) works like charm and I love it so far. IP-Relay is soo amazing and exactly the same as TTY than I first thought it would be not much alike TTY like AIM IP-Relay, but no its much just like TTY, I can read convesation exactly as operator is typing at the same time WOW! I like that.. I definetely go for it
Michael

Buy a new sidekick2 with unlimited data plan .. the best deal around for the deafies these days without a question!

Guarantee that you will love it like almost everybody in the deafworld.

Sidekick is horrible and low tech ever I seen in the market.

Pro
- email with attachment
- big screen
- built-in camera
- AIM and other IM client
- great price to pay service
- bit thin

CON
- lack coverage which only 30% available
- no MMS support (Multi-media sent allow to send or receive movie/pix with message)
- no video mode or support
- no EDGE or high-speed wireless baud
- fraglie device and screen (break easy)
- poor low-light level taken in camera
- device is too wide
- slow delay receive text-message or email
- short life battery (have recharge every night!)
- limited application
- not support every webpage, very limited
- too ugly to be in public
- too heavy to carry
- pay extra if you want TTY service in there under Wyntell (yike!)
- Sidekick and drive don't mix
- techtard
- cannot fly like bird
- cannot use as bomb (not good for terrorist - oh well)
- not sharp enough to slice the finger
- cannot make videophone
- sidekick is not your sex toy
- won't make you being Paris Hilton to get hot hunk man

EDGE said:

Pro
- email with attachment
- big screen
- built-in camera
- bit thin

CON
- no MMS support (Multi-media sent allow to send or receive movie/pix with message)
- device is too wide
- limited application
- too heavy to carry
- techtard
- cannot fly like bird
- cannot make videophone
-No bluetooth.

*add*

EDGE said:

Pro
- email with attachment
- big screen
- built-in camera
- bit thin

CON
- device is too wide
- limited application
- too heavy to carry
- techtard
- cannot fly like bird
- cannot make videophone

Seem like you speaking of a sidekick (old version), not the sidekick2? (due to some of features you spoke of above) Most of us don't need a videophone and they sure don't mix while driving, too. Wanna a much better gadget then buy far more expensive one for yourself, lol.

haha. Nokia 6822 cost about same cost as Sidekick II. It got high-speed, video, better camera, MMS support, IM client (Yahoo, MSN, AOL, and ICQ), very portable, smaller, sexy, hottie, sweater, horny and bomb!

web730 said:
Seem like you speaking of a sidekick (old version), not the sidekick2? (due to some of features you spoke of above) Most of us don't need a videophone and they sure don't mix while driving, too. Wanna a much better gadget then buy far more expensive one for yourself, lol.

Back