Should I become a terp?

travisdoesmath

Reaction score
I'm about 4 weeks away from finishing ASL 4 and I have no idea if I should pursue becoming an interpreter, I'd appreciate any feedback and perspective to help me choose, thanks

I've noticed in your profile that you're from Sacto. Have you given Norcal a visit? They can provide you the advice you're seeking for.

And yes, I have visited Norcal. It is one fine Deaf organization run by very, very good group of people!

Eyeth said:
I've noticed in your profile that you're from Sacto. Have you given Norcal a visit? They can provide you the advice you're seeking for.

And yes, I have visited Norcal. It is one fine Deaf organization run by very, very good group of people!

I haven't officially visited Norcal although I've volunteered for certain norcal events and talked to people there. That's a good idea, but I'd also be interested in getting some more personal opinions here as well :)

Travis, I'm in the same boat as you. I've finished ASL 4 and some pre-terping classes required here, and I have to decide whether or not to continue with interpreting. I'm taking an "Intro to Interpreting" class which has helped some, though most of the information I already know.
Just remember, if you go into interpreting, what it requires.
First, there will be some assignments that you will not have the language skills to complete. You may have to decline a job and have a more experienced hearing terp come, and/or a CDI. That's a really hard thing to do, and knowing when must be quiet a balancing act, but this will happen as you struggle to gain more fluency in ASL.
Terps must keep everything confidential, and must not use any information they gain through terping. It's a small world, and the deaf community's smaller---gossiping about your terp jobs is not only unethical, it can be occupationally painful...you will probably get caught. If you have a big mouth, terping probably isn't for you.
You can't interject ANY personal opinions. If you know a deaf person (or hearing person) is getting scammed or doing something illegal, you can say and do NOTHING. You may used as a tool of destruction, to put it strongly. You can also be used as a tool to belittle someone, you may have to be the vessel through which a hearing person unjustly chews out a deaf person. Figuring out where your personal ethics are in all that is..hard!
Even the best interpreters are mentally exhausted after a big interpreting job, if they've done their job right. The better you get, the more you learn, the more you realize you have to learn. You will be earning your money! (I HATE people who say "oh, 'terps go into it for the money ummm....no)
That said, interpreting can be totally rewarding. Facilitating communication between two people is an awesome feeling. I've done some volunteer interpreting, and when I do it well, it feels really good. I'm not sure it is something I want to do for life, but having the skill would be something totally awesome.
Reba and Interperator will have plenty to say about this, I'm sure.

signer16 said:
If you know a deaf person (or hearing person) is getting scammed or doing something illegal, you can say and do NOTHING. You may used as a tool of destruction, to put it strongly. You can also be used as a tool to belittle someone, you may have to be the vessel through which a hearing person unjustly chews out a deaf person. Figuring out where your personal ethics are in all that is..hard!

I think is the part that is the hardest for me to swallow .. ugh. I can see the ethical reasoning behind it, but .. daaamn.

What about being questioned by the police? Is it like Doctor/Patient or Client/Attorney privelige?

signer16 said:
Reba and Interperator will have plenty to say about this, I'm sure.

Yeah, where is Reba? Heh.

My best advice would be to talk to interpreters. Seek them out and ask them about their jobs. Find ones who are new and ones who are experienced. You will hear lots of stories that may help you make up your mind. Feel free to send me a private message if you like (I'm not crazy about discussing my credentials and so forth publicly).

You're on the right track by asking yourself the question, at least. Too many people go into interpreting with the belief that signing skill is the main requirement. There are people out there with amazing linguistic skill and cultural knowledge and who are terrible interpreters for other reasons.

If you have questions about your ability to remain impartial, I would say this is your main area to consider before becoming an interpreter. You can improve your signing skills every day but being able to follow the principles of impartiality and confidentiality are crucial and harder to practice and improve upon. Check out RID's Code of Professional Conduct (previously the Code of Ethics); even if you don't want to be associated with RID, they're still excellent guidelines for interpreters: http://www.rid.org/coe.html

I highly recommend reading "So You Want To Be An Interpreter?" by Humphrey and Alcorn, and if you want to go a little deeper, "Sign Language Interpreting: Exploring Its Art and Science" by Stewart et al. They're standard reading for interpreters and often used as textbooks in ITPs.

travisdoesmath said:
What about being questioned by the police? Is it like Doctor/Patient or Client/Attorney privelige?

It depends on the situation and I believe it also varies from state to state.

Travis, you're not the only person who is pondering this question. Several people, including my parents, are pushing me to attend an ITP, after I finish ASL instruction. If it's something you really want to do, and feel you'd enjoy it, go for it. As for me, I'm not sure that's the case.

Seeing signer16's statement about not interferring with communication hits all too much at home. As a relay operator, i perform much the same job of an interpreter, and am expected to adhere to many of the same ethics. Now take that ethic of not intereferring with communication, and apply that to the fact that there are uncountable numbers of scams going through relay, and it makes interpreting look like a walk in the park.

deaf guy...

well ,as looking it from a deaf persons veiw...why the hell would a hearing person spend all that time learning sign ..if you are not going to use it?
if you have a few deaf pals ...or some family you do not need 2 years of collage.. just a bunch books to teach yourselves...

that is kinda like getting an enginering degree and then working as an english tutor......

for god sakes use what you have learnd.stay in cal or move to dc...call the differnt companies that provide terps and try it out.

vfr said:
well ,as looking it from a deaf persons veiw...why the hell would a hearing person spend all that time learning sign ..if you are not going to use it?

Because if someone is unable to uphold ethical standards, or stay impartial in difficult communication situations, or do 10 things in her head at the same time, or be extraordinarily flexible when it comes to work environment and schedule, or stay pleasant in the face of ignorance and rudeness (from hearing OR deaf), then that person should not be an interpreter.

And there are tons of ways a good signer can continue to use sign without becoming an interpreter. I know plenty of people who not only learned a lot of sign but actually went through the ITP, and decided to become teachers or therapists instead of interpreters. Or their friends are all deaf. Not interpreting doesn't mean you don't use sign.

travisdoesmath said:
I think is the part that is the hardest for me to swallow .. ugh. I can see the ethical reasoning behind it, but .. daaamn.
I know. I have a very strong sense of morals and right and wrong, and I don't know if I could do it. I really have to talk to some Christian interpreters and see what they have to say. I mean, if someone is doing something illegal, you feel like an accomplice. If you have to be the tool to chew out a deaf person, some deaf people have a level of transferrence and will strongly dislike you after the "chewing out." (I have interpreter friends who have had this happen to them...that's hard.)

travisdoesmath said:
According to the Code of Ethics, it is like Doctor/Patient privilege, total confidentiality unless you suspect child abuse. Sometimes the courts haven't respected this confidentiality, and have tried to force interpreters on the stand to repeat conversations, THAT's a dilemma! Luckily, most places are pretty good about this now, and the new code of ethics (professional conduct) say that where the law and code of ethics conflict, follow the law. Again, Interpretrator and Reba(if she joins this) could elaborate way better than I can.

vfr said:

that is kinda like getting an enginering degree and then working as an english tutor......
This is the same response I've gotten from almost everyone that I tell that I don't really plan on becoming an interpreter, and especially from deaf people. "You sign really well, you would be a good interpreter!" But as Interpretrator said, people can be (I'm not...yet) fluent in ASL and very competent in deaf culture, but not good as interpreters for others reasons. Mine would be a strong sense of right and wrong, and the tendency to talk too much. Confidentiality I could improve on by simply shutting up and understanding the importance of doing so, but morals...those aren't going to change, and I don't want them to... I just have to find a balance.
Anyway, if you learn ASL and don't want to interpret, you can teach, (hearing ASL or deaf students) or use ASL in any other job in which you are interested. You can stay involved with the deaf community, and use ASL as you would any other language.

ok

all of that is good.. but to me ..why pay for schooling? as i said before if it is freinds and family...teach yourself. if you are paying for classes... unless it is a "filler class" USE IT! MAKE IT PAY ITSELF OFF! teach , terp..whatever...and i am sure you can keep your mouth shut until your brain empties the trash.

and as for illeagle things... even a lawer must notify the cops if his client is planing to break the law!!!!

vfr said:
all of that is good.. but to me ..why pay for schooling? as i said before if it is freinds and family...teach yourself. if you are paying for classes... unless it is a "filler class" USE IT! MAKE IT PAY ITSELF OFF! teach , terp..whatever...and i am sure you can keep your mouth shut until your brain empties the trash.

and as for illeagle things... even a lawer must notify the cops if his client is planing to break the law!!!!

hah, compared to the tens of thousands of dollars I've put myself in debt to study math, dropping about $500 on 4 ASL classes is a drop in the bucket. If I'm focusing on return on investment, the math degree looms large. Also, I wouldn't say I'm taking ASL as a "filler" class, but I have to take a certain amount of units to graduate anyway, might as well take them in something I'm passionate about.

Also, I was hoping that my ASL classes would have a bit more formal information (linguistic structure, grammar, etc.) but I've been a bit disappointed in this aspect. I don't feel like I've gotten any solid grounding in grammar, at least not to the point where I can analyze the grammar of what I'm saying similar to English or Spanish. However, sometime next year I was invited to participate in a grad class in linguistic aspects of ASL, and I've thought about going through the ITP just to get a deeper, more analytical understanding of ASL (hey, I'm a math guy .. that's how I like to see things :D)

travisdoesmath said:
Also, I was hoping that my ASL classes would have a bit more formal information (linguistic structure, grammar, etc.) but I've been a bit disappointed in this aspect. I don't feel like I've gotten any solid grounding in grammar, at least not to the point where I can analyze the grammar of what I'm saying similar to English or Spanish. However, sometime next year I was invited to participate in a grad class in linguistic aspects of ASL, and I've thought about going through the ITP just to get a deeper, more analytical understanding of ASL (hey, I'm a math guy .. that's how I like to see things :D)

Give yourself a head start, and teach yourself the grammar before taking the grad class. I once read somewhere that the Gallaudet Green Books are the only thorough exposition of ASL grammar ever written. They’re not very well written, but you might as well get them. You should start with the second book in the series:American Sign Language: A Teacher’s Resource Text on Grammar and Culture, by Charlotte Baker-Shenk and Dennis Cokely.

As for becoming a terp, I don’t really recommend it. It’s a pretty sucky existence. Whenever it rains, some clown comes along and throws you over his boat or spreads you out on the roof of the tool shed, and you have to stay there all winter. Doesn’t get much crappier than that. And then in the spring, when your usefulness comes to an end, you get folded back up and stuck back in the tool shed to roast all f**king summer. If you really get lucky though, your owner will go car camping and gracefully deign to take you along so that he can use you to protect his precious sleeping bag from morning ground moisture. Ugh—no thanks, I would never be a terp, no how, no way. :ugh:

vfr said:
and i am sure you can keep your mouth shut until your brain empties the trash.

I love that! Can I steal it?

Levonian said:
As for becoming a terp, I don’t really recommend it. It’s a pretty sucky existence. Whenever it rains, some clown comes along and throws you over his boat or spreads you out on the roof of the tool shed, and you have to stay there all winter. Doesn’t get much crappier than that. And then in the spring, when your usefulness comes to an end, you get folded back up and stuck back in the tool shed to roast all f**king summer. If you really get lucky though, your owner will go car camping and gracefully deign to take you along so that he can use you to protect his precious sleeping bag from morning ground moisture. Ugh—no thanks, I would never be a terp, no how, no way. :ugh:

Wow...I never realized before how much tarps and terps have in common.

Well. A young hearing boy who cannot talk went to high school in the summer. My sister was an interpreter for him.

It would be a good start for you to work in the summer because there might be a few students attending at the high school. Maybe, there might be a kid who cannot talk in your area. Think about it.

I personally think that it is a pretty stupid for anyone to get a certification to become an interpeter. My sister does not have it in 20 years ago. She had no problem with her job for four years, and she worked so hard to earn it. There was a controversal issue about health benefit that made many interpreters to quit their job in the middle of school years. I don't know about now.

We should never trust a town hall about its financial problems. A few year ago, we voted to against 2 1/2 percent override tax. A week later, the town recovered money by mistake in the wrong department. It was all BS.
The town should have paid the interpreters for their benefit in the old days.

How about getting a job at FBI as a mathematician? I have seen on TV every Friday night, but I don't watch it often. (I don't remember the name of that show.) I hope that you will be an interpreter someday not relate working for the government.

feel free

it just popped in my head... and then my brain got full and ......

Interpretrator said:
Yeah, where is Reba? Heh.
Hi, I am here! :) Unfortunately, sleep and work prevented me from visiting AD sooner.

My best advice would be to talk to interpreters.
Good advice. I would just add to that, find several terps, not just a few. Terps come in many forms; "freelance"/private practice, full-time school staff, government agencies, private companies; happy and fulfilled or disgruntled and discouraged; lazy and "settled in" or enthusiastic and constantly seeking self-improvement. If you can attend terp association meetings, such as local RID or NAD affiliate meetings or workshops, you will have opportunities to get a variety of opinions. Also, the employment situation varies from state-to-state, so pay scales, licensure, etc., depend on the state.

There are people out there with amazing linguistic skill and cultural knowledge and who are terrible interpreters for other reasons.
You got it. There are even CODA's, ASL fluent, deep in Deaf culture, but lousey as terps. Some people don't have the necessary integrity, work habits, basic general knowledge, or temperment for interpreting. Terps need to be punctual, flexible, patient, professional, confident, able to accept criticism, humble, dependable, assertive, well-groomed, and creative. (That's just the beginning.)

If you have questions about your ability to remain impartial, I would say this is your main area to consider before becoming an interpreter.
Agreed. The ability to keep your opinions to yourself is crucial. That includes eye rolling, winking, frowning, or shrugging while signing or voicing.

I highly recommend reading "So You Want To Be An Interpreter?" by Humphrey and Alcorn...
One of the text books we used in my ITP; good choice.

signer16 said:
... if someone is doing something illegal, you feel like an accomplice.
I have never been in that situation. I have worked in educational, medical, social service, religious, social, and employment settings. I don't recall any situations where someone for whom I was interpreting was trying to do something illegal.

There are exceptions. In school settings, the law requires that ALL staff personnel MUST report suspected child abuse.

If you have to be the tool to chew out a deaf person, some deaf people have a level of transferrence and will strongly dislike you after the "chewing out." (I have interpreter friends who have had this happen to them...that's hard.)
Now THAT I have experienced. However, the Deaf that I work with are used to using terps, and "get over" the transferrence almost immediately. Now, the hearing people--that's another matter. They are not always educated in the use of interpreters, and think that YOU, the terp, are using your own words and tone when voicing, "You liar! Shut up!" Oh, yes, I have interpreted for boss/employee "disciplinary" confrontations. I have actually been physically "touched" during a male hearing supervisor's accusation of sexual harrasment to a male Deaf employee. Not good to be standing between them. Ack!

According to the Code of Ethics, it is like Doctor/Patient privilege...
One way to avoid potential problems is to never be alone with either the hearing or Deaf clients. That way, there is no private conversation between the terp and the client outside of the presence of the other party.

For example, suppose I am interpreting between a supervisor and an employee. The supervisor is disciplining the employee about excessive tardiness. The supervisor has to leave the room to get some files. Interpretor leaves the room, and waits in the hall. Terp does NOT stay in the office with the employee. Terp does NOT accompany the supervisor to get the file. That way, terp does not engage in conversation about the situation with either party.

Terps can be subpoened to testify in court about interpeting assignments. However, they are only required to testify as to their interpretation of the testimony that was already given by the other parties. That is, suppose there is a malpractice case. The hearing doctor has testified, "I told the patient that his test was positive". The Deaf patient has testified, "The doctor told me that the test was negative". The terp can be required to testify as to the interpretation of the event. The terp says, "I signed this...", and then signs the sentence. Then the lawyers will debate the accuracy of what the terp signed, using sign language expert witnesses.
(p.s. this is why terps must carry "malpractice" liability insurance)

Sorry, I don't have a better example at hand.

This is the same response I've gotten from almost everyone that I tell that I don't really plan on becoming an interpreter, and especially from deaf people. "You sign really well, you would be a good interpreter!" But as Interpretrator said, people can be (I'm not...yet) fluent in ASL and very competent in deaf culture, but not good as interpreters for others reasons. Mine would be a strong sense of right and wrong, and the tendency to talk too much. Confidentiality I could improve on by simply shutting up and understanding the importance of doing so, but morals...those aren't going to change, and I don't want them to... I just have to find a balance.
It is also possible that you might not want to become an interpreter at this stage of life but you could change your mind a few years from now. Either way, I don't think learning ASL would ever be a "waste."

Back