Should High School students have their Cell phones

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread should be in Parents category ?

I planned to have my son's end of the contactor with Verizon cell phone because it cost me almost 59 dollars a month. It is awesome because we contact each other to see how we are doing. Whereabouts he went to? I will miss to not contact with him when I become worried.

I was reaching various phone company to find a reasonable price for High School kids to using their cell phones. My older son wants sidekick because he wants to use AIM chat. I told him, I pay Comcast Networking, which is awful expensive.

Nowadays, High School students want everything. I was not like their ages when I was in High School.

I have my own sidekick for purpose work at Human Service. I used it alot. I rarely use AIM chat. I mostly chat with my two sons on AIM.

Do your teenager children have their own cell phones?? Would you prefer to have them to earn on their own money when they will have a jobs?

I can't do everything by myself. I need to focus to pay off my old debts before I get married. I did not want to carry any fucking old debts into my new wed life.

I am tired of Verizon tried to convince me to keep cell phone which they offer me reduce price per monthly. I shut it off because I want to pay off my debts so badly.

My son has a car that is loan and insurance. My older son wants to have a car. Teenager insurance quote is really killing me !!! :eek:

Would you feel comfortable if your teenager children have their cell phones or pagers ??

Last edited:
Well, my sister carries a cell phone to class with her. As long as it is turned off during lectures and not used to call a pal from across the cafeteria, I don't see the problem with carrying one for emergency use. I never really had a cell phone in High School. I did have a beeper at one point. Probably during my freshman year in college. I got rid of that - no one was beeping me anymore - plus bigger and better things were starting to be introduced...text messaging, Blackberries, etc. Right now I am hopeful of getting an Ogo - it seems to be the cheapest way for me to have any sort of emergency "communication."

Sabrina, you could always get your son an Ogo. The hardware will be around 100 bucks, but then you can sign your son up - no contract is necessary, and if you're online a lot, you would be able to exchange IM's and emails with him while he's either in school or out with his friends. It runs for about $20.00 a month, which isn't tooooo bad, right? Just an idea. :)

But if kids are going to be using cells and other communicative devices during school hours, then no, that's something that shouldn't be condoned. If the child is sensible and does not abuse the privilege of having a cell, then nope, nothing wrong with it.

sabrina. it is tough to have these teenagers this century. ah well... personally my parent told me to get a job when i was in high school. they couldnt afford my car and car insurance. i would tell my kid or kids to get a temp job in the future if i am in great sinkhole with debts.

When my girls become teenagers, I would get them cell phones with text message feature or pagers because I am deaf so it would be easier for them to contact me anytime.

But I would make them work to help pay for monthly bills. Teenagers should start working anyway by then and learn how to be responsible for their own expenses.

Yeah, teenager kids need to get their jobs to pay on their own expenses. I have enough of paying tuition, insurance, loan, debts, rent, etc. etc... I am too overwhelmed.

I remembered, I started my job with jewlery factory when I was 14 years old. I bought my own new clothes and bike for commute to work everyday. I did not ask my parents for anything else.

Wow, this soceity is horrible peer pressure at High School. I have seen 75% students have their own cars during junior and senior years. I do not know how could the parents can afford their children's cars inurance.

Oh dear, :shock: car insurance is AWFUL killing me in State of Massachusetts due to inexperience driver, etc.. until 25 years old. I am not going to pay their auto insurance when they finish their High School.

i see my sister's kids having cellphone they weren't even in high school yet, now days I see many kids getting off bus with a cellphone that are NOT even in high school yet. My daughter comes up to me and begged me for a cellphone I told her, If she wants a cellphone she has to earn some $ but she didn't care she just want parents pay for it.. We told her, we have bills to pay stuffs, can't add one, My husband and his brother was telling kids stories how they were brought up while they grew up, that put me harder for our kids stake, If they want something, they will have to earn for it and save it.. Sean my son tend save his money for hotwheels! or matchbox... He's got over 500 wheelies!

Anyway, Kayla knows if she wants cellphone badly she will have to save money, she success saved it then spend on others.. I told her that's good way to save and spend something else.. I have a cellphone that has pre-paid. She and her brother could use it if they learn how to save money for these pre-paid cellphone.. cuz that teach them how to budge money too..

I am not going to teach my kids how to be spoilbrats :D

Wendy

Sabrina said:
Yeah, teenager kids need to get their jobs to pay on their own expenses. I have enough of paying tuition, insurance, loan, debts, rent, etc. etc... I am too overwhelmed.

I remembered, I started my job with jewlery factory when I was 14 years old. I bought my own new clothes and bike for commute to work everyday. I did not ask my parents for anything else.

Wow, this soceity is horrible peer pressure at High School. I have seen 75% students have their own cars during junior and senior years. I do not know how could the parents can afford their children's cars inurance.

Oh dear, :shock: car insurance is AWFUL killing me in State of Massachusetts due to inexperience driver, etc.. until 25 years old. I am not going to pay their auto insurance when they finish their High School.

My two older nieces, Ash and Brit saved their own money and bought a junk car.. after a year or two after them working so hard on their part time jobs etc. They bought a newer car.. Now they have a better transportations for their own life.. yes they have insurances with parents.. But the girls help to pay for it too :)

Wendy

I don't have any children right now, but if I do have children I would get them to have pagers only in case if it is emergency or something that they really need me. If you have some problems, maybe you should get a cheaper pager or cellphone that it would help you out.

I remembered that time when I was in high school, I helped my mom to pay my car and car insurance only that time I got my new car until I graduated from high school, I had to pay all of my bills such as car, insurance, pager, internet, etc.

i dont have a child yet.. if i have a kid, i will give her or him pager or cell with text.. when i buy pager or cell text for my kid then i will back off and let him or her own pay itself, not me... but uddy i put their name on it not me and i wanna see my kid is doing pay right time then if dont and too bad, it not my job to pay.. cuz of i wanna see this kid is taking the job to pay own bills.. so that way i wanna this kid learn what bills have to pay all the time, the bills eat the money up!

If I was an adult which I am going to be in half a year, I am 17 and a half. You guys say in order for your kids to have cell phone/pager they need to work for it. Well, I would understand if you have only a part time job like Dominicks or something like that, but if you are full time and get full time salary, then that a different story. If you make enough money well then. Plus us kids have homework and school activities to worry about. Here in America the teachers give out homework. In Europe they don't, so those teenagers would have enough time to put a job on their schedule. We don't, unless you're lazy and don't do any after-school activities. A job is a lot of work especially if you have homework to worry about and activities and such. So I would think about it. You think we have it so easy, we don't.

deafclimber said:
sabrina. it is tough to have these teenagers this century. ah well... personally my parent told me to get a job when i was in high school. they couldnt afford my car and car insurance. i would tell my kid or kids to get a temp job in the future if i am in great sinkhole with debts.
i second that.. my parents can really afford my auto insurance, etc... but they refuse to pay me.. they want me to learn how to become responsibility on my own bills.. so therefore i learn alot.. paying my own pager montly bills, pay my own insurance, pay my own gas, etc.. i sure learn alot.. if my parents pay for everything.. i probally end up struggling with myself trying to keep in pace on money.. so therefore I thank my parents for doing that...

I have mixed emotions about allowing teenagers have their own cell phones. On the one hand, I can see the usefulness for emergencies, but I also see a potential for abuse by the kid, so I dunno. If I had to decide, I'd split the difference, and wait until the kid was at least in the upper HS grades. By then, the kid should be mature enough to handle the responsibilities of using a cell phone.

That's just my opinion.

In Australia, kids and adults alike uses cellphones. It's a very popular device to use nowadays. It's good for emergency and such. Kids as young as 10 does have a cellphone which is a bit too early. There's a huge peer pressure to have a cellphone otherwise you're not cool *sigh*.

Lots of teenagers worked part-time to be able to own their cellphones as well pay the bill.

But I do see the potential for abuse.

Anyway, maybe you could suggest to your two boys to find a part-time jobs and pay for the cellphone bills, eh?

Sabrina said:
Do your teenager children have their own cell phones?? Would you prefer to have them to earn on their own money when they will have a jobs?
My daughter is no longer a teen, but she never had a cell phone when she was a teenager. She did earn her own money.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i second that.. my parents can really afford my auto insurance, etc... but they refuse to pay me.. they want me to learn how to become responsibility on my own bills.. so therefore i learn alot.. paying my own pager montly bills, pay my own insurance, pay my own gas, etc.. i sure learn alot.. if my parents pay for everything.. i probally end up struggling with myself trying to keep in pace on money.. so therefore I thank my parents for doing that...

How old were you when your parents encourage you to become more responsibility to paying on your own bills??

Cracks Down On Cell Phones In Elementary Schools

Along with chewing gum and notes in class, cell phones have been banned in Wrentham's two elementary schools, adding the town to a growing number of school systems that have cracked down on cell phone use.

Phones in class has mainly been a problem in high schools around the state, which typically ban use in class, but let students carry them. In Wrentham, teachers heard cell phones ringing in fifth- and sixth-grade classrooms for the first time before winter break, prompting the ban on phones on buses and anywhere in school.

"Once one child has something it becomes the 'in' thing to have," said Tom Lynch, principal of the town's two elementary schools. "We wanted to put a stop to it before it got out of control."

Many Wrentham parents agree that cell phones shouldn't be used during school, but others worry about how they will keep tabs on their children after school. They said students should be allowed to carry the cell phones to school and keep them turned off until classes end.

At Monday's School Committee meeting, Wrentham also banned students from bringing beepers and pagers to school. School officials will confiscate any banned devices and require parents to pick them up.

Newburyport High School officials sent a letter home to parents before school started this year saying they wanted cell phones always kept in students' backpack or lockers. High school officials in Needham warned that students would be disciplined if cell phones disrupted classes.

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said he would urge Boston's public schools to adopt a citywide policy banning cell phones from class. Boston currently lets schools decide their own policies on phones.

Wrentham Superintendent Michael Janelli, who bought his first cell phone this year at age 55, said he'll follow the new policy.

"I won't bring it to school anymore," Janelli said. "I'll leave it in the car." (AP)

Well having cell phones at schools can be a benefit. What if the school was raided with gunmen and/or terrorists, We would need a cell phone for that...

Back