Should Deafness/HOH Be Mentioned on Resumes?

Should Deafness/HOH Be Mentioned on Resumes?

• Yes

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Not Sure/On The Fence

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters
disability is our business.

Under no circumstances would I list my hearing loss in my resume. It's just not the right place to put that type of information. The resume is where you list experience, skills, education, and awards/honors. I would, however, mention it in the cover letter (like Daredevel said) if I felt it could potentially help me get hired, but it really depends on the job and the employer.

One thing to keep in mind is that being Deaf/HoH means you are in a minority group, and some employers, particularly government agencies and public universities, will actually give you more consideration because of that. If I were applying to a job where I felt the employer was fair and that my hearing loss would not negatively affect my performance, I would definitely mention in my cover letter that I am HoH. The reason for putting it in the CL is because it gives you the opportunity to educate the employer on how to think about your hearing (rather than letting them fall back on their own biases and misconceptions of deafness). The trick is to be rhetorical and make the employer believe that hiring a deaf/HoH individual will actually benefit their company. One way to do this is to discuss an example where you have gained a special insight by overcoming communication barriers. The more closely you can relate your personal experience to the type of job you will be performing, the better. This shows the employer that you are resourceful and independent and won't be a burden on the company.It also shows that you think in a way that just might in fact be productive for the job you're applying.

This is also the case for applying to schools, and I encourage all of you soon-to-be college students to really be candid about your hearing in your entrance essays. When I was applying for undergrad, I didn't mention it, and I didn't get into any of my top choices. When I applied for grad school, I made it the focus of my cover letter, and I ended up getting accepted to my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks. Of course, that higher success rate was probably due to a combination of many things (better grades, writing sample, etc.) but it certainly did not hurt to mention that I am HoH.

I have not once put my deafness on the application/resume but since I graduated from a deaf school, it would be more than an obvious give away to note that I'm deaf.

Nevertheless, I have not had a problem with being denied of a job. Like everyone has said, the purpose of a resume/application is to make a statement of yourself, not because of your deafness but because of your qualifications/experience. The more you have it built up, the more chances you may be able to get.

The bottom line is - it is about how you are able to relay the information on the paper to make it attractive for any future prospective employers. I'm not saying that it has to be fabricated but it can also be creative with using the right words that are instilled on it.

I vote no. The purpose of a resume is to sell yourself to get an interview, thus a resume should only contain positive things.

Yeah, I know people here will say that there is nothing negative about being deafness. But, we should assume that an employer is likely a hearing person whom may not know anything about deafness. You also have to assume that an employer will also receive other resumes, too. So, how will your resume compete against others?

Once you reach the interview stage, you will have the opportunity to prove that you are suitable candidate for the job, etc. So, the employer would be able to judge you as a person rather than something written on a piece of paper.

i agree here. i do say put asl in resume if you are fluent or PSE or SEE or speech read. whatever your communication mode is as far as that goes. if u get interv then u go into detail. resume gets u an interview. once being interviewed the empolyer can clearly see how well u will function in that work environment. be open and truthfull about ur needed accomidations.

I don't mention it on the resume or cover letter. I did mention it once on a cover letter for a job that I was definitely qualified (perhaps even over-qualified) for and the employer never called me or emailed me back, even after I left both a voicemail message and an email asking about the job, he didn't respond. And then I found out a friend of mine with no qualifications got the job. Yeah, I was pissed off.

Once I'm hired I always tell my employer.

At my current job they don't get it so I spend a fair bit of time re-explaining why talking with a coffee mug in front of one's face is a bad idea. At my other job they're a bit more accommodating and understanding.

I would say no, because they can easily say "I already hired someone before I saw your resume" or "I didn't get your resume"... you can't tell what they do in the private of their own office while going through resumes

It is just easy for them to toss your resume in a pile.

but once they interview you, they know they can't discriminate you.

I had job at GE when I was younger and I had to have a hearing test!! The woman that was giving me the test kept telling to raise my hand when I heard a sound ! I told her I had the test before and that I am not hearing the sounds!! I got the job as I knew the vice president of GE ! I did not pass my hearing test!! I would not put that on a resumes , I would go to job interview and see how it goes . If you think you were turn down for being HOH I would call a lawyer or some center for deaf and HOH people.

No, unless you don't want to get hired.

Ditto with any other disability. It's just a fact of life that people view disabilities as less than.

I voted no, I don't put down that I'm deaf on my resume or job application because I want them to give a deaf person the same chance as a hearing person when they call back for a face to face interview, If I did put deaf on my resume or job application then it's a possibility that they will dump my resume or job application in the reject pile.

There are many employers who are not so ready to give a first chance to any deaf or hard of hearing people who can do the task on the job. They got their head full of negatives, thinks the worst of deaf people and they are doing this by their ignorance plain and simple. If you show them what you are made of, they might give you a chance on the spot.

I think it depends on the job you are applying for. I am training to be a mental health nurse and as a nurse you are accountable for your actions and have to practice safely.

When I go on work placements I have to tell my supervisors about my hearing loss, my university have told me I have an obligation to do so. Reactions to my disclosure vary, some people get quite excited and ask me what sort of accommodations I need, others ignore it and keep asking me to answer the phone, a real pain because I have to keep reminding them that I have difficulty hearing on the phone.

Next year when I start applying for jobs I will have to disclose my deafness because I will need accommodations in order to successfully carry out my duties as a nurse.

A resume is a tool thats is used to get your foot in the door. You should only list things that augment your skills and experiences forthat particular job, same goes for the cover letter. If the job would benefit from your HOH or Deafness, then it should be in the resume.

In other words, if it won't sell you for the job-don't put it in, and it doesn't matter what it is.

I used to apply for job in Craigslist and I tell them Im deaf because I dont speak so it could be bad interview if I don't tell them. I have two jobs and I see the job ad in the paper and go in person to apply so they know I deaf right away. I don't think you need to put it if you speak but if you don't speak it good idea.

I would say NO with big TEXT on this one.

Reason; I do not care if they just simple not expect and have interview with or without interpreter. It sorta proof a metal challenge and show that you can do with or without interpreter.

What the different about 'unexpect' that woman came in and saw that woman is bald and eagle head. So can't cancel or drop because of appear the way looks. What if that person need better benefit for her health sake and discover cancer once treatment could inspire employee after cancer free.

My wife has desire of her dream... she went several interview with heavy good refer from previous job that they didn't expect alot from my wife. She have those three refer letter. She look job due transfer job to other state and couldn't find job. They tend to surprise that she worked with that kind position and feel that it not suite for their job. Those people tend to forgot that person who Deaf and have ability to improve their business...

Several of interview really like resume because we shared the feedback and how to sound 'sell' that apply on base her experience. They told her and like resume and haven't decide that will notify or answer her call whenever they decide. The day I woke up; she already call ahead of time and seat there on side bed. She cried and those job say, "I am sorry that position haven't decide but we want you once the position open." I felt terrible and nothing else to say about this one.

Sometime, I do feel like sue those company. Sue will teach them a lesson? We don't want their money... it would be marvel to have their money fund for Deaf to have better resource and know their rights and so on to teaching the new Deaf childern in future.

Again; I feel that not necessary to say No. They will discover about your phone number since FCC mandatory the VRS provider with ten digit numbers. We use Sorenson as our provider and it do show caller id display on videophone. So we can know if they decide not to leave a message. Such as avoid and realized that person is DEAF.

Glad that Sorenson already develop for caller id. Without that, it would be hard for her more. I hope other VRS do the same thing.

Sorry about my long typing over this issue because I hate to see people get that message; I am sorry the position isn't open. Even the position still open by newspaper or online still say it still there with same information.

No matter the culture or the language you use, "NO" in resumes are not good idea. That's why we have to compensate the No... with what we do.
Maybe if you really care about how imply that you're not hearing, you can add "Native ASL signer". As language skills you can add that you perfectly write and read english and/or other languages. That's saying the same, but from the perspective of what you CAN/HAVE and not with what you can't/haven't...
Most ppl here dont care about the deaf (or any other disability) but I add in my resume that im an LSA interpreter (as I add "english"), since, i consider it a valuable skill.

But, again- Never add in a resume what your're not or what you can't, no matter what is that.

No, I never put "Deaf", "Hard of Hearing" and/or "HoH" on my resume when I apply for a job.

Why?

Because employers will chuck those resumes out the moment they see one of those three words. They do not have to contact the deaf person applying for the job if the person put one of those three words on his/her resume. In fact, they don't have to feel obligated to get in touch with that person just because the person is deaf.

My skills, my education and my jobs should be what the employer is looking for. Not my deafness.

If the employer wants to know more about deafness, there are the means to give them the information they need to understand deafness after the interview. However, I don't see anything wrong with discussing how the potential employee can overcome the barriers (or work-related hurdles) during the interview.

In short, no. I won't put one of those three words on my resume when I apply for a job. I want to market my skills, my education and my job experiences because I applied for the job.

HOH on the job

I never mention my HOH in interviews, I'm not required by law, after I am hired and I settle into the job, people will start to pick up on my hearing and I slowly start to tell my colleagues 1 by 1 that need to know and eventually, gossip travels fast. in the past when I have mentioned my HOH in interviews, I never heard back from those employers. Hearing aids are the same as glasses, no different, people need to understand that, it's like apples to oranges.

yeah deaf ppl should say it if they want a job. deaf ppl probably have skills that everybody else dont. like being able to see real well being able to talk sign language and cant they read lips? theyd prob get the jobs more often if they did wtf did everyone vote no?

yeah deaf ppl should say it if they want a job. deaf ppl probably have skills that everybody else dont. like being able to see real well being able to talk sign language and cant they read lips? theyd prob get the jobs more often if they did wtf did everyone vote no?

How many jobs have you had?

Here's what I posted on someone's blog on Deafread.com and this comes from the experience of being unemployed for two years:

My opinion:

1.) Never ever reveal that you are deaf. The idea is to make it irrelevant to the job you are applying for.

2.) Get an answering service that E-mails you texts of messages received. Never answer the phone.

3.) Call them back yourself using VRS, but requesting a VI that is male/female (depending on your gender) and do three important things:

a.) Tell the VI to NOT announce that it is a relay call.

b.) Give the VI context on the call so that he/she can interpret better.

c.) While having a conversation, mention that you are calling from a satellite phone with poor reception because you are out of town, but you were interested enough to call. This makes the person on the other end think you are a hearing person using a satellite phone and explains why you had an answering service.

4.) I don't recommend showing up for the interview with an interpreter. It has been my experience that most hiring managers will look at you and the terp then wonder how you can possibly do your job without a terp. Bring a laptop computer instead and communicate with it using MS Word in large fonts or something like that. Now if it is a PANEL INTERVIEW, you have to bring a terp though...but during the interview stress that you don't need a terp in one on one situations.

Basically, try to make your deafness irrelevant to the job itself. Make it a non-issue. At least, that is what I learned from being unemployed for nearly two years (not counting work outside of my career path).

-J.J.

Speaking from experience....YES.

I am hearing impaired and wear hearing aids.

I was laid off from my job. Collecting Unemployment. Found a new job as a Receptionist for a small company.

My 30 day review was the worst of my life, and centered around my hearing.

To make a long story short....MI Unemployment law allows you to quit a new job within 60 days under certain circumstances, such as the new job you found was not suitable, something you had no experience in. So I quit, went back on Unemployment.

The employer filed an appeal. Then another. I kept winning every round, but we actually had to go in front of an Administrative Law Judge, complete with attorneys/advocates.

I Won.

How? because they tried to say they were not aware of my hearing impairment. B.S. It was right on my job application! And I had mentioned I could hear better on two different phones in the office, but they would not move the phone or my work station....

Having that in writing, on my application - that is what won the case for me. It went from "She never told us...." to "Oh, would you look at the copy of her job application. Now what does that say?"

Back